Returning player; should I start over?

cheex.7863

I played GW2 several years ago and got an asura elementalist to level 80. Started playing much more casually, then stopped playing altogether. I got back in the game a couple days ago, but feeling like a complete noob again. I still want to play as an elementalist, but I was wondering if it would be better to relearn everything with a new character, or with my old level 80 character?

If you plan to PvP or WvW? Yes.. go back to the drawing board and re-learn your class.

For PvE: No, because there's nearly as many lv80 maps now as they were <lv80 maps in Core. In other words, even if you're returning to the game at the max level, you're still a newbie again (and have plenty of room to train on new maps) until you start picking up on all the content added since then, so starting over would only put you more behind and take much longer for you to get fully up-to-date with the current release cycle.

Grab some decent gear (Exotics are cheap on the TP now), make a decent build and start working on both subclasses.

I really don't see the point of re-leveling when you have the profession comfortably sitting at 80. It's not like core Tyria leveling is particularly challenging or anything, is it?

In fact, trying to get mastery levels in the giant deathtrap that is HoT maps will prove far more useful. There you actually can die - fast, easy and multiple times. If that doesn't help you get used to the profession, then going to 80 all over again won't change much.

My 2c. Like you, I played years ago, at launch, quit and came back around two years ago and felt overwhelmed by all the changes, new content, currencies etc.I soldiered on for a short while on my existing main, then quit again. Last year I came back for another try, and started over. I'm about nine months in and leveled six new alts to cap - and I tend to hate alting ;) So I'd say: do start over and take your time leveling to cap, then plunge into HoT to discover the game you left has become ten times as awesome! (YMMV) <3

I often find it helpful to start a new character when I'm coming back to a game after a long break, because things are usually simpler and easier at the lower levels and mechanics and build options are introduced gradually as you go along.

I definitely wouldn't delete your level 80 character, and you may not want to level up a new one from 1-80, but playing on a lower level character for a bit could be a good way to familiarise yourself with the game again (even if you remember it well a lot will have changed).

@Danikat.8537 said:I often find it helpful to start a new character when I'm coming back to a game after a long break, because things are usually simpler and easier at the lower levels and mechanics and build options are introduced gradually as you go along.

I definitely wouldn't delete your level 80 character, and you may not want to level up a new one from 1-80, but playing on a lower level character for a bit could be a good way to familiarise yourself with the game again (even if you remember it well a lot will have changed).

I definitely felt overwhelmed trying to relearn all the skills I acquired on my old char and couldn’t remember why I set my build the way it was. All while being constantly ambushed in the higher leveled maps.

However, starting over as another ele felt redundant. While there was a lot I had forgotten, there was also a lot I still remembered. Finally decided to create an alt as a mesmer since it’s a another magic class.

Ah I see, thats good to hear then lol I'd hate for you to have to wait years just to get gifts you should've acquired already from your characters time here. That point aside I think you picked a lovely profession to start anew with. Mesmer is a very fun class with an interesting design and has many fun qualities, its portal capabilities being one of my personal favorites that led me to pick it up myself years ago in WvW.

Archived