When will demo names be purged?

Styrbjorn.9147

There's a trick that might still work:

• Change your computer's clock (temporarily) to the date of one of BETAs
  • Launch the game
  • The DEMO characters should be listed in the character select screen — you should be able to delete them, although you can't play them.

Dates (according to the wiki)

• Friday, August 11 through Sunday, August 13
  • Friday, August 18 through to Sunday, August 20.
  • August 31 (two hours only; don't remember the time)
  • September 7 (ditto)

That definitely worked for people the week after the 2nd test.

PS don't forget to reset your system clock back to using the internet to autosync.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:Changing my computer's date/time didn't bring up the demo character slots when I relaunched the game. So, either I did something wrong, or that method doesn't work now.

You made sure that when you launched (and after), the computer still thought you were living in the past?If so, blccch. It might be that you'll have to use the Sept 7 time, i.e. that the earlier three times won't work any more.

According to Gaile's post on the old forum , the start time was 7 Sept, 10 am Pacific, aka 17:00 GMT, aka 18:00 BST, aka... you'll have to do the math for other time zones.

Give that a try; keep us posted (and good luck!).

Yup, I tried setting it to August 31st, about 10 minutes after the time I created the character. No dice. I then switched to Sept. 7th about 12:30PM my time (about 30 minutes into the stress test). Still no dice. The loading screen background and music changed both times, so I know it was working at least somewhat. But no demo slots appeared, and only my usual 14 characters were there.

@RoseofGilead.8907 did you double check via the API that the DEMO names are still in use? I suppose it's possible that ANet removed them and forgot to tell us.

If the workaround no longer... um works around the issue, I think that ANet ought to (a) give support tools to do something about it and (b) prioritize removing the DEMO database. Launch was nearly a week ago; it's time to free up names that people can't use.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:Yeah, one of my demo characters still exists on the API. The other three I made are gone, but the one I made for the August 31st stress test (which is the character I reused for the Sept. 7th one) is still there.

How horribly frustrating. Luckily for me, all I had time for on 7 Sept was to logon to delete the name I wanted for LIVE.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:From previous posts, the CS Team was not able to delete characters, and, I believe, sent the request to the Devs. I'm not sure why they have yet to be removed.

Assuming this is still true, here's what I'd try:

• Contact support; wait for them to confirm that they can/cannot delete the demo toon.
  • Ask to be escalated and for them to instead rename the demo toon, e.g. by adding 'Demo' if the name is 14-15 characters.
  • As soon as you hear back that they have done so, start a new toon with the old name, as I'm not sure if the 24-hour reserve happens after a rename. (You can avoid worrying about biography, because the new toon with the old name can be deleted, which will start the reservation timer).

I'd like to think that Support (at the next tier of escalation) will embrace this as a viable workaround, since (a) they should already have the tools available and (b) it would work around the problem, i.e. it would allow them to provide support, and I know they hate it when they can't.

It's the Rube Goldberg of workarounds, to be sure. But any port will do when you run out of Chianti, right?

It's official, they poor managed this situation. They should have deleted the demo characters when the demos had ended as they claim. a week has passed from the release of PoF and in the first place this should not happened. I feel the company doesnt have the resources to be the giant mmo it's trying to be. I meant this game as huge reknown in the mmo comunity as the great "other mmo King" which in fact has a technical and support system that im impressed of how good and quick replying it is. I know that one has a TOOOOOONS of resources and employers to make it that happen. But the least if you want to be considered the second best mmo it's to try harder and give to the people what you promise. We now know that Anet is not promising huge because the fail to deliver or to even make those promises we expected to see in the game but at least make the small promises in time. Maybe was that, maybe they focused ALL of their resources and employers into the PoF release because they wanted to make a great first experience in the PoF first days which they also failed. I myself and others experienced conection issues, lag and problems in game.

I'm sorry to sound mad at Anet but i only want to play with one character PoF and the name i gave to the demo character was to good for it. I didn't played PoF maps or history yet and I won't untill I can make the character with that name. Maybe I seem like I give too much importance to the name but I sure not be the only one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived