Why do dugeons have be so hard

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:They were in my guild too. Thanks and I left after that. Also, why does everyone want discord? I just want play in the game in the game but almost all guilds ask for discord. I have a headset but my mic doesn't work and honestly, I'm a bit shy on the mic. I communicate much better writing than talking.

I can TOTALLY relate to you! :D I'm an introvert, talking makes me exhausted and listening to others is so distracting. I really don't like Discord, I miss the old days when people in MMOs communicated through in-game chat. But at least my guild is okay with me not talking in Discord, I listen to them during events/missions though. :)

@Mea.5491 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:They were in my guild too. Thanks and I left after that. Also, why does everyone want discord? I just want play in the game in the game but almost all guilds ask for discord. I have a headset but my mic doesn't work and honestly, I'm a bit shy on the mic. I communicate much better writing than talking.

I can TOTALLY relate to you! :D I'm an introvert, talking makes me exhausted and listening to others is so distracting. I really don't like Discord, I miss the old days when people in MMOs communicated through in-game chat. But at least my guild is okay with me not talking in Discord, I listen to them during events/missions though. :)

I don't know. Growing up I had a bad stuttering problem. I am socially awkward very much so. I don't really do voicemails. Text me in a game and I'll understand and write a million messages back but after a minute on discord of me talking. I'm not as comfortable. I am totally isolated from people. I just don't like the sound of my own voice. >

@Sephylon.4938 said:

I can not for the life of me recall any jumping puzzles in ac. And you mentioned spiders? Where you at the spider queen?

Yes. There was a ton of little creatures. We jumped on a ledge. I fell down twice. Then they raced off ahead. I forgot where they leaped on. I just stopped they were so far ahead.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@HardRider.2980 said:Sounds like you didn't inform them that you was new to dungeons/to that dungeon.

I did though. I said before we started. I've never done a dungeon. I been playing for a month.

Ohh.. Then sadly you met a bunch of.. unpleasant players. I do apologize for them

They were in my guild too. Thanks and I left after that. Also, why does everyone want discord? I just want play in the game in the game but almost all guilds ask for discord. I have a headset but my mic doesn't work and honestly, I'm a bit shy on the mic. I communicate much better writing than talking.

Having Discord is just the current best/easiest way for groups to communicate with voice options. I'm like you in that I'm not all that comfortable speaking into the mic, so I don't do it. It's never been a problem. I'll just turn on TS3 or Discord if it's necessary (ie. setting up for something big like Triple Trouble or raid-type things) so I can listen; my lack of speaking has never been an issue with any of the groups I've done stuff with. So, don't worry about it too much. It would be a good idea to get on Discord to have it available just in case, but don't feel like you're obligated to speak through it or anything.

I just don't like it as much I like writing. I feel very judged by people on the mic and I have very bad experiences with talking and social situations. I take things very hard. I'm very sensitive.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

I don't know. Growing up I had a bad stuttering problem. I am socially awkward very much so. I don't really do voicemails. Text me in a game and I'll understand and write a million messages back but after a minute on discord of me talking. I'm not as comfortable. I am totally isolated from people. I just don't like the sound of my own voice. >

I can not for the life of me recall any jumping puzzles in ac. And you mentioned spiders? Where you at the spider queen?

Yes. There was a ton of little creatures. We jumped on a ledge. I fell down twice. Then they raced off ahead. I forgot where they leaped on. I just stopped they were so far ahead.

@HardRider.2980 said:Sounds like you didn't inform them that you was new to dungeons/to that dungeon.

I did though. I said before we started. I've never done a dungeon. I been playing for a month.

Ohh.. Then sadly you met a bunch of.. unpleasant players. I do apologize for them

They were in my guild too. Thanks and I left after that. Also, why does everyone want discord? I just want play in the game in the game but almost all guilds ask for discord. I have a headset but my mic doesn't work and honestly, I'm a bit shy on the mic. I communicate much better writing than talking.

Having Discord is just the current best/easiest way for groups to communicate with voice options. I'm like you in that I'm not all that comfortable speaking into the mic, so I don't do it. It's never been a problem. I'll just turn on TS3 or Discord if it's necessary (ie. setting up for something big like Triple Trouble or raid-type things) so I can listen; my lack of speaking has never been an issue with any of the groups I've done stuff with. So, don't worry about it too much. It would be a good idea to get on Discord to have it available just in case, but don't feel like you're obligated to speak through it or anything.

I just don't like it as much I like writing. I feel very judged by people on the mic and I have very bad experiences with talking and social situations. I take things very hard. I'm very sensitive.

Near the beginning of the dungeon past the priory camp?

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I am socially awkward very much so. I don't really do voicemails. Text me in a game and I'll understand and write a million messages back but after a minute on discord of me talking. I'm not as comfortable. I am totally isolated from people. I just don't like the sound of my own voice.

Yup, that's me. I'm a girl but my voice is too deep, I sound like a guy and I'm embarassed about it. Also, English is not my native language and my accent is horrible... I don't want my guildies to hear me. :/

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

It's your first time in a dungeon, you shouldn't feel bad for being lost or dying.People who have been doing them plenty of time also sometime get lost, and definitely die often too.

@Sephylon.4938 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

Near the beginning of the dungeon past the priory camp?

I'm not familiar with dungeon names or instances. I don't know how long the dungeon normally is. I don't know where exactly to tell you. I'd say maybe about near past the start. They fought one or two bosses than turned a few corners jumped on a few things that's where they lost me.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Even without a mic you can still listen, as you communicate better in writing other people communicate better with talking you can still reply to them in writing.

@Mea.5491 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I am socially awkward very much so. I don't really do voicemails. Text me in a game and I'll understand and write a million messages back but after a minute on discord of me talking. I'm not as comfortable. I am totally isolated from people. I just don't like the sound of my own voice.

Yup, that's me. I'm a girl but my voice is too deep, I sound like a guy and I'm embarassed about it. Also, English is not my native language and my accent is horrible... I don't want my guildies to hear me. :/

Aww remind me of a girl in my static raid when ever she tried to say poison it came out as potion was so cute.Quite sure your guildies dont mind your accent or voice at all they are just happy to play with you hun.

Dungeons are not particularly difficult these days – especially with the power creep in the game, which dungeons really haven't been updated to match – but I can understand how for a new player it would be very disorienting and would feel like a nightmare, especially if you're doing your first run with a group of seasoned players who already know the ins and outs of a dungeon. What generally happens in that case, is that they are applying experience and knowledge that you do not have. They skip mobs they feel are not worth fighting, and are using tactics or taking routes they've already practiced, but that you are unfamiliar with. You shouldn't feel bad about it at all, and it's a hurdle you can overcome with some patience and practice.

My suggestion is to do a few dungeons with a player willing to teach you the mechanics for each (luckily some have already made offers for that). Sometimes even a basic overview for each section can make a huge difference between a new player dying like crazy or breezing through it with ease, and this is the kind of help you will not always get from experienced speed runners who are just trying to make a quick buck, or who are farming tokens for gear/skins. If you can't always meet up with people you know who can help (because you aren't logged in at the same time, etc), then what you could do is advertise in lfg stating that you're a new player and need advice for how to progress through dungeons. Or, otherwise, look for advertised groups that welcome new players.

If you join a group let them new you are new to this kind of stuff. Many of us have done the dungeons so many time we know how to skip or cheese encounters/way blindly. But we are all started as newbie once. If i know there is a newbie/1st timer in my group i slow down the pace so noone get lost. Also i write short explanations about what's the most important thing to know. An other important thing is avoid LFG groups where exp/speedrun or something like this stands in the description. Also you can set up your own LFG group. You can descripe it with something like, 1st time story/path need some help and guidance. Or you do them with guildmates. Especially Arah is much less pain with guildies than with an LFG group most of the time.

Are you playing on the EU Server? If yes we can met ingame and start a newbie group.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:I can not for the life of me recall any jumping puzzles in ac. And you mentioned spiders? Where you at the spider queen?

Yes it seem like jumping ontop the wall to kill gargolye heads by door enterance then droping down to kill all the small spiders is consider jumping puzzle now.

It's not that it was after that. It was after killing all them and jumping up to the second floor. I can recall specific I don't know how to scale the wall yet. My point is it was scaling a wall. I don't know how long the dungeon is but that specific part was not puzzle part it was later on after going to the second floor.

@SunTzu.4513 said:If you join a group let them new you are new to this kind of stuff. Many of us have done the dungeons so many time we know how to skip or cheese encounters/way blindly. But we are all started as newbie once. If i know there is a newbie/1st timer in my group i slow down the pace so noone get lost. Also i write short explanations about what's the most important thing to know. An other important thing is avoid LFG groups where exp/speedrun or something like this stands in the description. Also you can set up your own LFG group. You can descripe it with something like, 1st time story/path need some help and guidance. Or you do them with guildmates. Especially Arah is much less pain with guildies than with an LFG group most of the time.

Are you playing on the EU Server? If yes we can met ingame and start a newbie group.

What is story path? I'm on a NA sever. What exactly is story Path? I've kinda wondered that myself.

What is story path? I'm on a NA sever. What exactly is story Path? I've kinda wondered that myself.Storypath is the fisrt path wich you are able to run if you hit the required level. It has lower lvl requirements than explorationpaths. Ascalonian Catacombs have lvl 30 for the story path. After hitting lvl 35 you are able to do other explorationpaths with also gives you dungeon currency. Storymode do not give you it as a reward.

When I did my first dungeon, it was pretty much the same. For me, it was Ascalonian Catacombs. Got there with my fresh lvl 40 warrior in blues and greens and got kicked around so badly. Enemies would almost always oneshot me, as I would basically dodge wrong (or not at all), facetank their damage (as I did in all of OW PvE), position myself wrong, use skills in the wrong situations etc. Now since I started playing my Warrior as my main and completed HoT, PoF and many fractals with him, I only scarcely get downed, finish those defiance bars for the most part on my own and still dish out some damage.This only became possible because I learned. I would take a break, consider my mistakes. Look up tips on metabattle or here in the forum and would adapt my build, optimize my gear (was in mixed stats before, now I'm in full ascended marauder's) and literally "git gud" (more or less). I'm not saying that I'm a good player by any standard, but when compared to my first attempt all those months ago, I'd see there certainly is some improvement.

And you, dear OP, can do just the same ;) Find a guild that can teach you one thing or the other, find nice people in-game. Just ask in map chat or use the LFG tool to start your own group, advertising it as "Beginner group" or something. You'd be surprised how many players out there are having just the same feelings as you do towards dungeons.But most important of all, have fun! If dungeons are not for you, check out other things before. In my case, I just re-discovered dungeons for myself as I grew more proficient in GW2.

@SunTzu.4513 said:

What is story path? I'm on a NA sever. What exactly is story Path? I've kinda wondered that myself.Storypath is the fisrt path wich you are able to run if you hit the required level. It has lower lvl requirements than explorationpaths. Ascalonian Catacombs have lvl 30 for the story path. After hitting lvl 35 you are able to do other explorationpaths with also gives you dungeon currency. Storymode do not give you it as a reward.

I've been wondering about that. I tried to go back to a dungeon and sneek in LFG mode but I become too nervous and quit at the last minute. It doesn't give you any rewards for it? >

@"Plautze.6290" said:

When I did my first dungeon, it was pretty much the same. For me, it was Ascalonian Catacombs. Got there with my fresh lvl 40 warrior in blues and greens and got kicked around so badly. Enemies would almost always oneshot me, as I would basically dodge wrong (or not at all), facetank their damage (as I did in all of OW PvE), position myself wrong, use skills in the wrong situations etc. Now since I started playing my Warrior as my main and completed HoT, PoF and many fractals with him, I only scarcely get downed, finish those defiance bars for the most part on my own and still dish out some damage.This only became possible because I learned. I would take a break, consider my mistakes. Look up tips on metabattle or here in the forum and would adapt my build, optimize my gear (was in mixed stats before, now I'm in full ascended marauder's) and literally "git gud" (more or less). I'm not saying that I'm a good player by any standard, but when compared to my first attempt all those months ago, I'd see there certainly is some improvement.

And you, dear OP, can do just the same ;) Find a guild that can teach you one thing or the other, find nice people in-game. Just ask in map chat or use the LFG tool to start your own group, advertising it as "Beginner group" or something. You'd be surprised how many players out there are having just the same feelings as you do towards dungeons.But most important of all, have fun! If dungeons are not for you, check out other things before. In my case, I just re-discovered dungeons for myself as I grew more proficient in GW2.

I have an 80 token. I have many best slots in gear. I thought I was so strong in solo story mode than in a group. It's much harder than I imagined. I am obsessively trying to get the best gear items but I've only played for a month so I'm lagging behind. I'll try that.

I've been wondering about that. I tried to go back to a dungeon and sneek in LFG mode but I become too nervous and quit at the last minute. It doesn't give you any rewards for it?

You get some gear, silver and stuff like this for the storymode. The dungeon currency wich is needed for dungeon weapons, armor, sigils or parts of leggy weapons you only get on the exploration paths.

@SunTzu.4513 said:

I've been wondering about that. I tried to go back to a dungeon and sneek in LFG mode but I become too nervous and quit at the last minute. It doesn't give you any rewards for it?

You get some gear, silver and stuff like this for the storymode. The dungeon currency wich is needed for dungeon weapons, armor, sigils or parts of leggy weapons you only get on the exploration paths.

I wish I didn't take things so hard. I wish I could just not care and be like whatever. I do think about it, I do take it more seriously than I should. I think you helped me with my fan too. I'm appreciated for that. I'll try story mode.

@Offair.2563 said:As soon you get used to the dungeons you want to go back to your first babysteps. I had a hard time getting used to it but right now i kinda miss it lol.

I noticed many people helping me recently also want me to jump on discord. I just want to use in-game chat. My mic didn't work so it was very frustrating spending two hours on that and it didn't work. I'm fine with whispers in game.

I noticed many people helping me recently also want me to jump on discord. I just want to use in-game chat. My mic didn't work so it was very frustrating spending two hours on that and it didn't work.

The guild i'm in is a non voice chat community. We even raid sucessfully in WoW or do high end content in eso and guild wars without using any voice chat at all. Maybe you should take a look into the Looking for guild section to find something like this. Or you open a post there that you searching for a non ts guild.

Just yesterday evening we did catacombs Dethas path. Since we are a no-voicechat guild everything was communicated in party chat. Nobody could remember the last boss mechanics, some even never did this path before, but luckily all were patient enough to figure out what to do and after a few tries finally we could defeat it and finish the dungeon. It was fun and a satisfying experience. @Icemanfrost.5428 I wish you a similar group of players, it's still possible after so many years :-)

Archived