Why do dugeons have be so hard

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

Come run with me.
I do teaching runs fairly often ( though not so often since the rewards were nerfed 66% .)
I often say to new groups "dungeon running is like a dance, step, counterstep." What I mean by that is that if you do things in a specific way, the dungeon becomes easy. Make false steps and the dance can quickly become a nightmare.

We all had to learn at some point.

I would love that. I don't know if we're on the same realm or not. I am more than willing to do it. If you can guide me during it.

Friend me in game and catch me around this time, most weekdays. I'll log back in now as Ithilwen, if you call I'll try to arrange a teaching run.

See, what I meant about the helpful community ? Even here in the forums you quickly find helpful people.Back at my days, when I was a noob, alot more peopel still played dungeons still, but doign them was alot more of a nightmare, due to people kicking each other out of the party, when the runs weren't successful, due to all of them beign more or less inexperinced with the dungeosn and all of them searching for just basicalyl skilled party members that carry them through the content...

Remembers me, how lucky i was when i earned my title for having done all dungeons as Dungeon Master and having had to do from then on basicalyl never again any dungeons, unless for rewards/money.. but before of that doing dungeons back then was more a tortue and unfun oftenly due to the bad player behaviors of alot of people, not due to not finding actually people to play with together, like now ...Guess both if its has had its pros and cons xD Never will I forget the tortue that was doing Arah path 4 for the first time ...in my noob times.. good old times.... horrible, but in a good way xD It was 4 and a half hours of full mental tortue of dieing alot, beign at the border of having to play totally naked xD

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I tried my first dungeon today. I was so embarrassed at how bad I was. I was a burden. I just left the group so they could replace me with someone who will not weigh them down. I hate that you have jump up and around things. I died twice and they were so far ahead of me. I didn't know which way they went. I just stood there in silence and embarrassed. Than I left so they could have a chance. I hate puzzles. Why do you need jump up and around those things. I fell twice. I just want dungeon with easy way to get to where I want go without hopping on things. :(

Don't feel bad. That's exactly how my first dungeon run went too. After I left the group, I was so embarrassed that I actually bought a name change contract. =) The most important thing you can do is NOT give up. Go watch some youtube videos and give it another shot. If you keep at it, you'll be a pro before you know it. Believe me... This is normal lol.

I don't even want to log back in. I am so embarrassed. I will log in later tonight. That name change sounds kind of good right now. Thanks. I will try to redo it later. Maybe. I thought I was going be really good at it, because solo I usually am really good in story missions and group dungeons..not so much. I picked a guardian because they have spells to help the group.

Thank you

Don't sweat it... seriously. ;) In fact, get used to this feeling and learn to value it. It means that you're pushing yourself, and that a breakthrough is on the horizon. Every time you think you're good/badass/etc... you'll push against your comfort zone a bit and find there's more to learn.

You know who never feels this way? Players in stagnation.

@Orpheal.8263 said:

Come run with me.
I do teaching runs fairly often ( though not so often since the rewards were nerfed 66% .)
I often say to new groups "dungeon running is like a dance, step, counterstep." What I mean by that is that if you do things in a specific way, the dungeon becomes easy. Make false steps and the dance can quickly become a nightmare.

We all had to learn at some point.

I would love that. I don't know if we're on the same realm or not. I am more than willing to do it. If you can guide me during it.

Friend me in game and catch me around this time, most weekdays. I'll log back in now as Ithilwen, if you call I'll try to arrange a teaching run.

See, what I meant about the helpful community ? Even here in the forums you quickly find helpful people.Back at my days, when I was a noob, alot more peopel still played dungeons still, but doign them was alot more of a nightmare, due to people kicking each other out of the party, when the runs weren't successful, due to all of them beign more or less inexperinced with the dungeosn and all of them searching for just basicalyl skilled party members that carry them through the content...

Remembers me, how lucky i was when i earned my title for having done all dungeons as Dungeon Master and having had to do from then on basicalyl never again any dungeons, unless for rewards/money.. but before of that doing dungeons back then was more a tortue and unfun oftenly due to the bad player behaviors of alot of people, not due to not finding actually people to play with together, like now ...Guess both if its has had its pros and cons xD Never will I forget the tortue that was doing Arah path 4 for the first time ...in my noob times.. good old times.... horrible, but in a good way xD It was 4 and a half hours of full mental tortue of dieing alot, beign at the border of having to play totally naked xD

It's funny in my story quest. I think I am so strong. I played for 30 days. I want to feel like I'm helping and they appreciate it. I didn't know you could add people on different realm. That is very cool. This game. I had more fun with it than many other games. I spend hours on line trying to get trinkets and items. I just learned how to swap weapons. Hopefully I will become much better at it.

They're not. Dungeons can be a bit un-intuitive, but once you figure out by some trial and error, hardly difficult. Most bosses have tells for things they do or items/mobs that give them buffs around their arena. There's no jumping for jumping puzzles required in any dungeon that I know of aside from the lasers in CoE so the fact that you 'kept missing a jump' is highly suspect since there's no jump needed.

It's not your fault. They are skipping everything that is why it seems complicated to you. In the early early days before ppl know short cut and exploit.. we clear everything on the path. It's good that u leave the group when u don't enjoy the run. Try making a group yourself and say in lfg no skipping.. and your run should be fun

@Talindra.4958 said:

It's not your fault. They are skipping everything that is why it seems complicated to you. In the early early days before ppl know short cut and exploit.. we clear everything on the path. It's good that u leave the group when u don't enjoy the run. Try making a group yourself and say in lfg no skipping.. and your run should be fun

Skipping is also fun, I do both. Sometimes I do skip sometimes I'm even listening to the story while clearing all the mobs.Skipping in Arah is more fun than killing 500 mobs on each area...Not that its hard its just more fun to progress faster.

But OP if you really want to enjoy dungeons look for groups that don't ask people to be level 80 or exp(Experienced).

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Don't feel bad. That's exactly how my first dungeon run went too. After I left the group, I was so embarrassed that I actually bought a name change contract. =) The most important thing you can do is NOT give up. Go watch some youtube videos and give it another shot. If you keep at it, you'll be a pro before you know it. Believe me... This is normal lol.

I don't even want to log back in. I am so embarrassed. I will log in later tonight. That name change sounds kind of good right now. Thanks. I will try to redo it later. Maybe. I thought I was going be really good at it, because solo I usually am really good in story missions and group dungeons..not so much. I picked a guardian because they have spells to help the group.

Thank you

like any1 remembers your name ;).

who cares if one is slow they obviously didnt care about you being behind as they kept going ahead.most dungeons can be easily done with 2/3 man team so i dont think your in "trouble"

@Talindra.4958 said:

I just tried to complete a guild run. same thing. I kept falling down during the hopping. Several times. I hate puzzles so much.

@Talindra.4958 said:

This.

OP, sorry your first experience was unpleasant. Dont let that deter you.

Without a guild/group of friends the best you can do is hope people look at lfg...i still don't do dungeons outside of my friends/guilds because all of the times ive tried, ive only met uncoorperative speedrunners who just assume i manage to see every important cue and know the mechanics of fights/puzzles even after i explicitly state i've never done it before, lol.

The one dungeon i do know and advertised my lfg as newb friendly i was met with "they can just follow along" after asking if anyone there hadnt done it before...:/ and people wonder why its hard to PUG dungeons.

@"Lexi.1398" said:Without a guild/group of friends the best you can do is hope people look at lfg...i still don't do dungeons outside of my friends/guilds because all of the times ive tried, ive only met uncoorperative speedrunners who just assume i manage to see every important cue and know the mechanics of fights/puzzles even after i explicitly state i've never done it before, lol.

The one dungeon i do know and advertised my lfg as newb friendly i was met with "they can just follow along" after asking if anyone there hadnt done it before...:/ and people wonder why its hard to PUG dungeons.

I was doing a Guild Run Earlier my first one. I hate those puzzles that make you jump around on the ledge and back down again and up across a path. I'd much rather just fight a boss or a super boss. Reminds me of those dungeons. I just want people to slow down just once and teach me how to do it.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@"Lexi.1398" said:Without a guild/group of friends the best you can do is hope people look at lfg...i still don't do dungeons outside of my friends/guilds because all of the times ive tried, ive only met uncoorperative speedrunners who just assume i manage to see every important cue and know the mechanics of fights/puzzles even after i explicitly state i've never done it before, lol.

I was doing a Guild Run Earlier my first one. I hate those puzzles that make you jump around on the ledge and back down again and up across a path. I'd much rather just fight a boss or a super boss. Reminds me of those dungeons. I just want people to slow down just once and teach me how to do it.

Well, you could ask the party if someone could try to slowly take you through the jumps. You could also watch videos of the dungeon paths before heading into your next dungeon. This is just something you'll have to practice as you go through it. Once you've done it a few times, it'll become easier.

@Linken.6345 said:Are we talking about the jumping over instead of walking down the traped stair?you could always drop down instead of jump over and then hold left and go out were the 2 gargoyle heads are mate.

I don't know exactly, you jumped up, cleared the spiders than you ran little ahead leaped up and leaped around? I became lost at that point

Yea thats the only jump in that whole dungeon, you jump up and over wall to not run and die to the flame traps at the stairway down.Why they leaped after that was possibly to avoid the traps in the corridor, that the first guy then turn of for the rest of the team.As I said you could have just tried the jump if you dident make it just hug the bars to the left and walk out into the same room at the spiders.

There's not much you can do about inconsiderate players. Personally, I've found that abusing the /gg function in fractals really helps to rain them in. Even if I am ready, if somebody runs ahead and starts the boss without checking for other players or giving them time to get ready, I'll commit seppuku on the spot and say "I wasn't ready". I encourage other people to do the same, as a method to lightly admonish overzealous and inconsiderate players.

Unfortunately, you can't do this in dungeons. So the best alternative is to say to slow down because you are new, and if they don't slow down just lie there and go grab a cup of coffee. One of three things will happen:

(1)They'll carry on without you, in which case you get free loot(2)They'll stop and wait for you, in which case you learn the dungeon(3)They'll try to kick you, in which case the group will probably fall apart anyway.

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:There's not much you can do about inconsiderate players. Personally, I've found that abusing the /gg function in fractals really helps to rain them in. Even if I am ready, if somebody runs ahead and starts the boss without checking for other players or giving them time to get ready, I'll commit seppuku on the spot and say "I wasn't ready". I encourage other people to do the same, as a method to lightly admonish overzealous and inconsiderate players.

Unfortunately, you can't do this in dungeons. So the best alternative is to say to slow down because you are new, and if they don't slow down just lie there and go grab a cup of coffee. One of three things will happen:

(1)They'll carry on without you, in which case you get free loot(2)They'll stop and wait for you, in which case you learn the dungeon(3)They'll try to kick you, in which case the group will probably fall apart anyway.

Personaly after the second time you did that clearly out of spite I would kick you.Your just prolonging the run becosue you feel ppl should ask you before they start something.Edit3 would never happen since alot of people want to do fractals/dungeons so replacing someone is a dime a dussin.Try to kick really? if 4 people is in such a hurry then 3 of them will kick the player laying dead in no time at all mate honestly.

@Linken.6345 said:

perosnaly after the second time you did that clearly out of spite I would kick you.

Interestingly, I've never been kicked once for doing this. The reasons for this are many:

(1): I almost never have to do it twice in a run. This is because after the first time, the overzealous player on the super-computer learns their lesson.(2): The rest of the group instinctively blames the player that runs forward as fast as possible. They're more likely to kick him than me.(3): Whenever I do this, there are usually other players who themselves were not ready, and are thankful that I pulled the reigns on that horse.(4): My performance otherwise is usually stellar enough to keep me around. Also, I'm frequently the only chronobuffer they can get.(5): Sometimes, I am legitimately not ready, and am the only one with enough chutzpah to call it out.

Tl;dr Harshness has a place.

Jumping in AC? Where the hell are they going?

@Thelgar.7214 said:

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I didn't know where to go or what to do. It was all very overwhelming. I hate when you have hop on building's and leap across. I fell twice.

My first time doing CoF Path 1 I fell off the bridge and died. Happens. Of course I fall off stuff and die all the time still.

Arah has a fun one. On some of the paths a bit before Lupicus there is a gap on the floor that is easily missed ...

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:I don't even want to log back in. I am so embarrassed.

Sounds like you're overreacting a bit. It's just a video game, failing in it is not the end of the world. :) We all suck when we try something for the first time. Make sure you go with people who are willing to help/wait for newbies, you can also create your own LFG group and call it "Noob run, all welcome". :)

@Khisanth.2948 said:Jumping in AC? Where the hell are they going?

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:I didn't know where to go or what to do. It was all very overwhelming. I hate when you have hop on building's and leap across. I fell twice.

My first time doing CoF Path 1 I fell off the bridge and died. Happens. Of course I fall off stuff and die all the time still.

Arah has a fun one. On some of the paths a bit before Lupicus there is a gap on the floor that is easily missed ...

Oh, been there; done that. At least twice.

@HardRider.2980 said:

@HardRider.2980 said:Sounds like you didn't inform them that you was new to dungeons/to that dungeon.

I did though. I said before we started. I've never done a dungeon. I been playing for a month.

Ohh.. Then sadly you met a bunch of.. unpleasant players. I do apologize for them

They were in my guild too. Thanks and I left after that. Also, why does everyone want discord? I just want play in the game in the game but almost all guilds ask for discord. I have a headset but my mic doesn't work and honestly, I'm a bit shy on the mic. I communicate much better writing than talking.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@HardRider.2980 said:Sounds like you didn't inform them that you was new to dungeons/to that dungeon.

I did though. I said before we started. I've never done a dungeon. I been playing for a month.

Ohh.. Then sadly you met a bunch of.. unpleasant players. I do apologize for them

They were in my guild too. Thanks and I left after that. Also, why does everyone want discord? I just want play in the game in the game but almost all guilds ask for discord. I have a headset but my mic doesn't work and honestly, I'm a bit shy on the mic. I communicate much better writing than talking.

Having Discord is just the current best/easiest way for groups to communicate with voice options. I'm like you in that I'm not all that comfortable speaking into the mic, so I don't do it. It's never been a problem. I'll just turn on TS3 or Discord if it's necessary (ie. setting up for something big like Triple Trouble or raid-type things) so I can listen; my lack of speaking has never been an issue with any of the groups I've done stuff with. So, don't worry about it too much. It would be a good idea to get on Discord to have it available just in case, but don't feel like you're obligated to speak through it or anything.

Archived