How many gear options are there to be a buffer/supporter?

Idril.8532

Hello!

I've created six characters now. The last two have been a real deception for me; they were: revenant and guardian. Especially the guardian. I was imagining a good buffer or something alike, since, despite the name, the class isn't intended for tanking.

So I was thinking to go for a buffer equip but then I discovered that Minstrel was the only option, aside from Harrier now.I usually make my own gear, insigna and whatever else is needed but Minstrel seems impossible to achieve... Harrier too.

Besides, how do I know if I will like playing a guardian buffer? Why do I have to farm beforehand without knowing if I might truly like it or not?I don't do raids and I don't like pvp/WvW (I do it just for the discount on cultural armor), I wouldn't even bring my guardian into Fractals since I've just geared up another char for them and I'm not willing to go through another gold-sinking build-up of AR anytime soon.

Is there a more feasible option to try out a "buffer" type of spec?

Thank you in advance for your help.

@"Idril.8532" said:Hello!

I've created six characters now. The last two have been a real deception for me; they were: revenant and guardian. Especially the guardian. I was imagining a good buffer or something alike, since, despite the name, the class isn't intended for tanking.

So I was thinking to go for a buffer equip but then I discovered that Minstrel was the only option, aside from Harrier now.I usually make my own gear, insigna and whatever else is needed but Minstrel seems impossible to achieve... Harrier too.

Besides, how do I know if I will like playing a guardian buffer? Why do I have to farm beforehand without knowing if I might truly like it or not?I don't do raids and I don't like pvp/WvW (I do it just for the discount on cultural armor), I wouldn't even bring my guardian into Fractals since I've just geared up another char for them and I'm not willing to go through another gold-sinking build-up of AR anytime soon.

It sounds like you only really care about open world play. That being the case, I wouldn't recommend a full support build. The damage is frustratingly low for solo play using stats like Minstrel. Killing enemies will be like chopping down a tree. In my opinion, you'd be better off focusing on damage output with boonshare secondary.

I'm not experienced with it, but I believe the guardian PoF elite spec Firebrand would be perfect for this. You can still provide useful support to allies without being weak in solo play and you don't need Minstrel/Harrier gear to do it!

First off, a Minstrel Guardian is an amazing tank; a Minstrel Firebrand does that while also providing Quickness and bonus Endurance Regeneration outside of Vigor.

Secondly, support in Guild Wars 2 is far different than more traditional MMORPGs. While Minstrel, Giver, and Harrier gives you a lot of healing capabilities, a core Guardian with Runes of Strength can still provide a great deal of group support by providing Might, passive healing, condition cleanse, Stability, projectile reflects, projectile blocks, and so on, even while in full Berserker gear.

@"Idril.8532" said:Hello!

The closest gear stat that comes close to a buffer/ supporter is healing power. Unfortunately, healing power is by far the worst gear stat in the game. The reason for that is because Guild Wars 2 doesn't have the WOW trinity of classes. What I mean by that is that professions are not labeled as DPS, tanks and healers. You don't have to rely on DPS classes doing the damage, tanks enduring the damage and healers constantly healing you.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to add stats like healing power on your gear because every profession in GW2 has a healing skill. Everyone is responsible for their own health and you shouldn't have to worry about healing your allies. You can give them boons like the guardian and revenant, certainly, but healing them constantly is just a waste of time.

Giver, Minstrel, Harrier or ... core, HoT, PoF.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:It sounds like you only really care about open world play. That being the case, I wouldn't recommend a full support build. The damage is frustratingly low for solo play using stats like Minstrel. Killing enemies will be like chopping down a tree. In my opinion, you'd be better off focusing on damage output with boonshare secondary.

I'm not experienced with it, but I believe the guardian PoF elite spec Firebrand would be perfect for this. You can still provide useful support to allies without being weak in solo play and you don't need Minstrel/Harrier gear to do it!

My firebrand uses Cleric + Commander gear for something to that effect. It is okay at solo and support but the keyword here is "okay".

@Hoodie.1045 said:What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to add stats like healing power on your gear because every profession in GW2 has a healing skill. Everyone is responsible for their own health and you shouldn't have to worry about healing your allies. You can give them boons like the guardian and revenant, certainly, but healing them constantly is just a waste of time.

Depends on what you are doing. I find that bounty trains often go pear shaped without a healer around and the only to ensure that there is one around is to play one yourself. Bounties are not so difficult that one should be required but you have to work with what you have. By mitigating the chance of the encounter turning into a mess you save time rather than waste it since it enables you to move from one bounty to the next more quickly.

Archived