whats the point?

in playing pvp when system is so bad and broken. Im close to plat, had few times missing 1 or 2 points to get there, but ofc then animals in teams happen and i get -18 for trolls games few times in a row.If i got really hard game, where both teams work really hard and i can easly say it was a good game i got +8 for win. wtf?my mmr should be ok i was getting 12-14 for wins and loses whole season, now this game just sh*t on me becouse im close to next division?can someone explain how this game works?Even im pve player and im just gringing legendary back it just makes me sad. i really feel bad for pvp playershttps://imgur.com/a/vBUu3Ngthen anet happenshttps://imgur.com/a/qk0Z4Rx

@"zombeaver.1650" said:in playing pvp when system is so bad and broken. Im close to plat, had few times missing 1 or 2 points to get there, but ofc then animals in teams happen and i get -18 for trolls games few times in a row.If i got really hard game, where both teams work really hard and i can easly say it was a good game i got +8 for win. kitten?my mmr should be ok i was getting 12-14 for wins and loses whole season, now this game just kitten on me becouse im close to next division?can someone explain how this game works?Even im pve player and im just gringing legendary back it just makes me sad. i really feel bad for pvp playershttps://imgur.com/a/vBUu3Ngthen anet happenshttps://imgur.com/a/qk0Z4Rx

higher rating u get the more u have to win for each loss

Ranked sPvP is a joke because of afkers, wintraders, people who throw games, people who don't understand their class, people who don't know how to rotate, toxicity, balance sucks due too two classes "Scorge and Chrono", etc. It's not worth playing ranked anymore because people don't care. If you have one guy who is trolling or throwing a game on your team then it's gg.

How can anyone take ranked serious because of all of these issues? It's not fun anymore. Bring a new and refreshing mode to sPvP... 2v2, 3v3... we need something other than a 5v5 conquest mode with standing on points to win.

@"BMW.2951" said:Ranked sPvP is a joke because of afkers, wintraders, people who throw games, people who don't understand their class, people who don't know how to rotate, toxicity, balance sucks due too two classes "Scorge and Chrono", etc. It's not worth playing ranked anymore because people don't care. If you have one guy who is trolling or throwing a game on your team then it's gg.

How can anyone take ranked serious because of all of these issues? It's not fun anymore. Bring a new and refreshing mode to sPvP... 2v2, 3v3... we need something other than a 5v5 conquest mode with standing on points to win.

Look at the majority of the causes for PVP not being fun and then tell me if you think a new mode will fix it.There's a lot of this that is due to people. It might be possible to salvage the current game mode by helping balance out the community's mood before we ask for conquest to be scrapped. 2v2 and 3v3 will lean more heavily on class balance, and we get major balances twice a year.

Not that a significant portion of the current game state isn't due to what seems to be hamhanded balancing/reworking, but giving people a new mode in which to be toxic isn't going to make them less toxic.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

@"BMW.2951" said:Ranked sPvP is a joke because of
afkers, wintraders, people who throw games, people who don't understand their class, people who don't know how to rotate, toxicity,
balance sucks due too two classes "Scorge and Chrono", etc. It's not worth playing ranked anymore because people don't care. If you have one guy who is trolling or throwing a game on your team then it's gg.

Look at the majority of the causes for PVP not being fun and then tell me if you think a new mode will fix it.There's a lot of this that is due to people. It might be possible to salvage the current game mode by helping balance out the community's mood before we ask for conquest to be scrapped. 2v2 and 3v3 will lean more heavily on class balance, and we get major balances twice a year.

Not that a significant portion of the current game state isn't due to what seems to be hamhanded balancing/reworking, but giving people a new mode in which to be toxic isn't going to make them less toxic.

Yes. It is a joke because of the issues I mentioned but I do agree a new system needs to be in place before they make a new game mode. Reward players that actually do well on the team with more points towards their rank. A system needs to be in place to catch people afking in the game and they need to punish them for doing so. Maybe -30 points for afking in the game instead of the typical -10 or -15 for other players. Maybe reward losers with less negative points if they do extremely well on the team. Example: -5 points for being a top tier player on the losing team instead of the typical -10 or -15 for other players.

Oh and if they put a system in place for people win trading that would be awesome too. The whole match is ruined because of one guy DCing from the game... A system needs to detect that they are doing that and punish them with something.

PvP could be great but nothing is done about it because they don't have a big PvP team. They only focus on PvE which is cool, but for players like you and I who love the competitive aspect of the game... it sucks.

@"zombeaver.1650" said:in playing pvp when system is so bad and broken. Im close to plat, had few times missing 1 or 2 points to get there, but ofc then animals in teams happen and i get -18 for trolls games few times in a row.If i got really hard game, where both teams work really hard and i can easly say it was a good game i got +8 for win. kitten?my mmr should be ok i was getting 12-14 for wins and loses whole season, now this game just kitten on me becouse im close to next division?can someone explain how this game works?

Sure: the system looks at the MMR of your team, vs the opposition, and expects you to win each game. When you are predicted to win, and you do win, you gain a small amount of MMR. When you are predicted to win, and you lose, you lose a larger amount of MMR. If you are predicted to lose, the reverse is true: big gain on win, small loss if you don't.

Over time this gives you an MMR that closely approximates your actual skill level, and will constantly fluctuate around it, moving up and down small amounts. This, it sounds like, is what is currently happening, so your personal skill level is "just below platinum tier."

As you practice, and improve, you may graduate to the skill level required to join the players in platinum.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"zombeaver.1650" said:in playing pvp when system is so bad and broken. Im close to plat, had few times missing 1 or 2 points to get there, but ofc then animals in teams happen and i get -18 for trolls games few times in a row.If i got really hard game, where both teams work really hard and i can easly say it was a good game i got +8 for win. kitten?my mmr should be ok i was getting 12-14 for wins and loses whole season, now this game just kitten on me becouse im close to next division?can someone explain how this game works?

Sure: the system looks at the MMR of your team, vs the opposition, and expects you to win each game. When you are predicted to win, and you do win, you gain a small amount of MMR. When you are predicted to win, and you lose, you lose a larger amount of MMR. If you are predicted to lose, the reverse is true: big gain on win, small loss if you don't.

Over time this gives you an MMR that closely approximates your actual skill level, and will constantly fluctuate around it, moving up and down small amounts. This, it sounds like, is what is currently happening, so your personal skill level is "just below platinum tier."

As you practice, and improve, you may graduate to the skill level required to join the players in platinum.

In theroy that’s great. The problem is that one teammate can ruin that for you. Which is why individual stats need to be considered for your rank, not just a win or loss.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

This seems like an awfully elaborate way to say "git good."

There really are times when you simply cannot do anything to help the match. You either play a more-support role like a blood scourge and your team leaves you alone the entire match and doesn't peel people off of you or instantly die... or you play a side-noder and no matter how many times you cap a point your team is either splitting up outnumbering themselves trying to get the other two points or getting literally blown up 3 seconds into a fight repeatedly. Or 3 people are chasing 1 Mesmer or druid around 1 point instead of pursuing another point and letting them troll it.

I won't necessarily agree that one bad person or troll is good game, but it has to balance out with the rest of your team being much better. If they're all relatively equal but then you have that one bad player or troll, yes it's a loss.

Also, as far as the op is concerned, there have been multiple times when I have been one game away from platinum and been placed into a match with a top 10-25 on each team. It's happened so much that I believe it must be a pattern. The match is extremely difficult simply because I'm trying to move up to the next division and matchmaking has made sure of it.

Thankfully the lats time it happened the person higher up on my team was a good scourge and can carry a fight even against their firebrand who was also top tier.

There are certainly odds too stacked against you at times, and I think that breaking point of one match to the next division or even tier is seemingly always exponentially more difficult than all of the previous. Then if you win and continue to advance you'll eventually be put in with the thief that rushes mid and dies, the Mesmer that instantly dies and somehow manages to do 0 damage, or some other person or person(s) that are not carrying their weight or intentionally throwing. In my case last night there is one Mesmer who is seemingly always platinum despite dying repeatedly, not capping any points or doing any damage, and spends half the match seemingly trolling. So, either he was throwing, or he's had some extremely favorable matchmaking that has kept him in his position and that is not fair and leads people to post threads like these about matchmaking being bogus or underperforming.

In theory your explanation of mmr works and is how they intend for it to work, but unless all of the circumstances are always the same, it will never be accurate.

Archived