Getting into raiding.

I am very interested in getting into the raiding scene. I am a pretty hardcore raider in WoW, finishing the expansion I have been looking for another game to raid in during the downtime before BFA.

So far over the past few weeks I have been farming mats and working towards getting the gear to do raids, but I have noticed one thing that is rough. People looking for pugs for the raids expect experience. People always talk about the community in this game and say its so great, but I have encountered 10x the elitists in this game than I ever have in WoW. I get it that you dont want to get people that waste your time in raids, but how are people expected to get into raiding if you already need to have killed the boss.

Outside of raiding the people are awesome, I've met some friends and joined a casual "lets do events together" guild. Doing events people are usually pretty helpful, even while out roaming wvw you find some pretty cool people. I never thought I would detest the raiding community more than the pvp community in a game.

My question for everyone, how do I get started in raiding without knowing someone on the inside?

I was mainly playing a ranger, loved soulbeast, but dont like the raiding version of it. Wanted to be the pet loving sniper, but instead its stabby stabby no pet man. Instead I have been playing mesmer the last week or so. Since I dont have access to a lot of viper gear I'm currently playing a berserker sw/sw sw/foci chronomancer build, I can pull around 20k on golem with just exotics.

@"Vicarious.3102" said:I am very interested in getting into the raiding scene. I am a pretty hardcore raider in WoW, finishing the expansion I have been looking for another game to raid in during the downtime before BFA.

So far over the past few weeks I have been farming mats and working towards getting the gear to do raids, but I have noticed one thing that is rough. People looking for pugs for the raids expect experience. People always talk about the community in this game and say its so great, but I have encountered 10x the elitists in this game than I ever have in WoW. I get it that you dont want to get people that waste your time in raids, but how are people expected to get into raiding if you already need to have killed the boss.

Outside of raiding the people are awesome, I've met some friends and joined a casual "lets do events together" guild. Doing events people are usually pretty helpful, even while out roaming wvw you find some pretty cool people. I never thought I would detest the raiding community more than the pvp community in a game.

My question for everyone, how do I get started in raiding without knowing someone on the inside?

When it comes to raiding, make sure you have level 80 exotic/ascended equipment and weapons. Doing raids with randoms is not as fun as joining a guild that knows what they're doing and use voice chat. Just makes the whole experience a lot better. Remember the old WOW days when people would scream at the top of their lungs after beating a boss? Ah, good times. Not saying that those good times don't exits, they still do to an extent.

Chronomancer power dps from snowcrows? 20k is respectable enough. Keep in mind though, as with any mmo; dps are a dime a dozen. More so in this game where the only other "roles" are druid, banner slave war, and support chrono. Evrything else is dps. Though a word of warning, if you ever do expect to pug a raid, make it absolutely clear that you are a dps. Most people see a chrono and expect a support. Any lfg posts that list chrono specifically means a support one.

Yep, I understand that. I am mainly trying to get experience so I can use that to join a guild that will need a dps, or maybe I'll get into the support chrono role, but from everywhere I've read its not a beginner friendly build. I'd rather do something not as complex to get raid mechanics down before I get into the min/maxing of my class. A dead player does nothing for the raid.

20k in the golem won't get you very far though. Take a look at the meta builds and compare them to your build, make sure you're doing the rotation correctly and keep practicing.

Mesmer is not very begginner friendly, but don't let anyone fool you: playing support chrono is, right now, easier than ever. The current rotation is very easy compared to what it was some time ago. If you want to go mesmer just go for it, believe me when I tell you that you'll learn better and earlier a class you have interest on, even if it's considered difficult, than an "easy" class you don't really like.

Read guides, practice as much as possible, join a guild if you can, join practice squads or create your own and don't let anyone discourage you from raiding. Starting can be tough, but it's worth it.

@"nia.4725" said:20k in the golem won't get you very far though. Take a look at the meta builds and compare them to your build

I dont think you read what I said, I am just getting into the game and dont have the money nor the resources to get vipers, therefor I need to go with a berserker build to get by. The "meta build" for mesmer uses viper for condi and commander for support, neither of which have a cheap exotic alternative. Also, according to SnowCrows, power chrono is only 3k dps behind condi mirage. The 20k I mention is with only exotics, no food or sharpening stone, so there is room for moving upward with practice and gear. I am working on making myself an ascended weapon.

Also, you're saying "join a guild." That is the whole reason I made this thread, raiding guilds that I've seen on the forums require experience or gear. I am looking for a way to get into raiding with what I have while I am working on getting gear.

@"Vicarious.3102" said:I am very interested in getting into the raiding scene. I am a pretty hardcore raider in WoW, finishing the expansion I have been looking for another game to raid in during the downtime before BFA.

We take new players in raids regulary. You can mail me ingame If ur interested. Im usually online 9.00pm ---> server Time.

First thing you wanna do is gear up(zerk gear is fine for me, maybe not for other), learn ur rotation/role, watch videos of raids and read their mechanics.

@Vicarious.3102 said:

@"nia.4725" said:20k in the golem won't get you very far though. Take a look at the meta builds and compare them to your build

I dont think you read what I said, I am just getting into the game and dont have the money nor the resources to get vipers, therefor I need to go with a berserker build to get by. The "meta build" for mesmer uses viper for condi and commander for support, neither of which have a cheap exotic alternative. Also, according to SnowCrows, power chrono is only 3k dps behind condi mirage. The 20k I mention is with only exotics, no food or sharpening stone, so there is room for moving upward with practice and gear. I am working on making myself an ascended weapon.

Also, you're saying "join a guild." That is the whole reason I made this thread, raiding guilds that I've seen on the forums require experience or gear. I am looking for a way to get into raiding with what I have while I am working on getting gear.

Hello. Exotic is only 5 percent behind Ascended so thats what you should aim for (with food). If you want ascended weapon cheaply try knight of the thorn achievment https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Knight_of_the_ThornThere you can get ascended sword basicaly for free. Support chrono has not that hard rotation compared to others but many mechanics are done mostly by you. Also if you perform poorly everybody can see that and will greatly decreese your group dps.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

Hello. Exotic is only 5 percent behind Ascended so thats what you should aim for (with food). If you want ascended weapon cheaply try knight of the thorn achievment
There you can get ascended sword basicaly for free. Support chrono has not that hard rotation compared to others but many mechanics are done mostly by you. Also if you perform poorly everybody can see that and will greatly decreese your group dps.

He's gearing power chrono not support. It would be cool to get as much ascended trinkets as you can tho, those are easy to get.

My advice is to practice with all buffs and profession utilities and without consumables. You won't get a realistic number but it will be similar to what you'd do with the correct golem setup and foods.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

Hello. Exotic is only 5 percent behind Ascended so thats what you should aim for (with food). If you want ascended weapon cheaply try knight of the thorn achievment
There you can get ascended sword basicaly for free. Support chrono has not that hard rotation compared to others but many mechanics are done mostly by you. Also if you perform poorly everybody can see that and will greatly decreese your group dps.

dps wise, exotic vs ascended is a 20-30% difference if I recall

@Sephylon.4938 said:

dps wise, exotic vs ascended is a 20-30% difference if I recall

No, not that much. Ascended trinkets vs exotics is a 12% and ascended armor vs exotic is much less, I don't remember exactly but overall is less than a 20%. Either way exotics aren't responsible for a 10k difference from the benchmark

From Reddit"Hey all,

People often refer to the damage increase that full ascended gear will provide over exotic on this subreddit, as well as the GW2 official forums. With the amount of new players flooding the forums and the game in general, this question has been coming up more often. People regularly cite numbers anywhere from 5% to 15%, but they never provide any justification. I made a spreadsheet that directly compares the increase in damage between a full set of berserker exotic gear and full berserker ascended. I also included the maximum potential of +70 power if one were to fill every infusion slot with +5 power. The amount of work and gold required to do this would be extreme, but I wanted to calculate the maximum potential increase in DPS.

Key assumptions: Level 80 character in a level 80 zone (no down-leveling). Base stats are constant between both cases with max stacks/boons.

Damage was calculated from the equations on the Wiki:

Damage done = (Weapon strength) * Power / (target's Armor)

Critical Chance = (Precision - 841.9664) / 21.0084

Every 15 points in ferocity adds 1% critical damage to the base 150%

Finally, I calculated the potential damage that would be dealt with a basic attack on average, with no modifiers etc, including the critical chance % and critical damage bonus. I calculated the percent difference between this value for the exotic gear set and the ascended gear set.

Here is the link to google sheets

tl;dr A full ascended berserker set gives you a 12.5% increase in damage over a full exotic berserker gear set with power omni infusions. This is the maximum increase in damage obtainable with ascended gear. The ascended weapon gives the biggest increase for an individual item at 5.9%. Ascended armor only increases damage by 1.8% over exotic if you already have ascended back, trinkets and weapon."

@Sephylon.4938 said:

dps wise, exotic vs ascended is a 20-30% difference if I recallNope, not even close. Excluding stat infusions, ascended gear is a bit more than a 10% damage increase for power builds when compared to exotic gear. For condi builds, I'd assume that it's a bit less (somewhere between 5-10%) due to weapon strength, but I'm too lazy to do the proper calculations for condi. Stat infusions add ~2% on top.

Farm Istan events/metas and craft the missing viper gear you need. Farm leather, do wood runs, farm silver wastes, anything that can give you 15-20g/hr comfortably. Istan is even more. Then, look into training runs. Many guilds and people do training runs, they will have discord details. Don't expect to be instantly killing bosses, you start slow, get 1 kill eventually after a few sessions then move on. Watch a couple of quick raid videos on YT and learn some fights, it's quite simple especially if you were a mythic WoW raider. The videos are well done and teach you everything in a clear manner.

Other than that, the usual stuff. Learn your build, pick something that can contribute decently, practice your rotation etc. Once you have more raiding experience you could then move to better groups but just like with WoW, unless you personally know someone you can't expect to be @ the top instantly. Full ascended is very easy these days compared to what it was. Craft your weapons/armor with your farmed gold and do Living World 3 for all your trinkets. Realistically even @ casual hourly rate you should be fully ascended in less than 6 weeks. If you have the time to play a lot, less than a month easily by just farming Istan and doing your LW3 node dailies. If you can T4 fractal even quicker, I usually average 1 ascended box every 7-12 days, and rings pretty much every day - but it really is just so much easier to craft these days.

Have fun! :)

Archived