Can't launch game (sometimes) /help me

I have an issue (for a while now) where I Can't launch the game from the launcher, I click play and the launcher closes / game doesn't start. (initially the game-launcher shows up in the task manager programs(apps/processes), but as soon as I click play it all closes down(the launcher)) - I Don't see any gw2 background programs running after everything closes.

-Logging out of windows then back in seems to fix the issue temporarily where I Can start the game and play.

-Wondering if anyone else has this issue.....?

I'm using Windows 10 - Up to date.I'll try to submit a ticket at some point.

is there something else you'd need to know for you to help me?

I should've read your post first, I have the same issue. Its been a year since I last played the game on my pc, but then this started when I tried to update and play it today.I've not submitted a ticket yet. I'm reinstalling the game atm to see if that works.

I had to use...rapid unplanned disassembly of the games files...aka...select all and permanent delete. The client wouldn't uninstall. If you want I'll let you know how the reinstall goes.

I hope it works for you, @Loki.2359but for my situation I just did a fresh/new install of windows 10 not long ago, I don't think I need to re-install gw2 when I Just installed it on a fresh windows 10.Another note- But I Don't think this matters, I'm using Classic Shell for windows 10, mine basically makes it 'look' like windows 7.

Also this thread on the same topic: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38922/log-in-click-play-nothing-happens#latest

Not 100% sure it's the culprit, but try going into your task manager and killing every nvcontainer.exe *32 process you can. New processes will start back up, but so far this seems to be working for me.

IMO, there's something wacky going on with Nvidia's drivers.

@Optimator.3589 & others.

-Some have said to run the game with a command -windowed . . I know this doesn't fix the issue, but it might be effecting how the game starts without a system issue. SO I set a shortcut to open gw2 in windowed mode, then (if I'm correct remembering) ALT+ENTER to go fullscreen, I Think it loads my previous fullscreen settings automatically with the Hz and whatever else. So I just load from the shortcut and hit alt+enter good to go. We'll see how this goes.

As for the game not starting problem, I know my gw2 takes some time to load up, I Feel like it could be a system problem loading the client to be official 'on' and running. Unless it's a graphical problem.

Hey @Optimator.3589 - Do you know if there's a place where errors go (on my comp in a folder or something) when gw2 crashes, or fails to start at all from the launcher?? . . . - This would be so helpful in finding the problem!!!

@KGUN.8374 said:@Optimator.3589 & others.

-Some have said to run the game with a command -windowed . . I know this doesn't fix the issue, but it might be effecting how the game starts without a system issue. SO I set a shortcut to open gw2 in windowed mode, then (if I'm correct remembering) ALT+ENTER to go fullscreen, I Think it loads my previous fullscreen settings automatically with the Hz and whatever else. So I just load from the shortcut and hit alt+enter good to go. We'll see how this goes.

As for the game not starting problem, I know my gw2 takes some time to load up, I Feel like it could be a system problem loading the client to be official 'on' and running. Unless it's a graphical problem.

Hey @Optimator.3589 - Do you know if there's a place where errors go (on my comp in a folder or something) when gw2 crashes, or fails to start at all from the launcher?? . . . - This would be so helpful in finding the problem!!!

This may show the location of the file(s): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-log

Thanks for that @Inculpatus cedo.9234 - Much Appreciated. I see the text doc which displays current stuff that's going on.

I can't seem to replicate the game not starting, It seems to happen sometimes but not often. --- But with that command you showed me I Notice I have a lot of errors coming from my client in that file.. I Submitted a ticket with the first few minutes of being on, ..tracked in the file.

I found "Files to Help Solve Tech Problems" - under,"Guild Wars 2 Support Technical Support: Installation, Connectivity, and Performance Solving Problems"

• thanks to the email I got back saying they received my ticket.

this should help also, For now . . . I Wait.

@"Optimator.3589" said:Also this thread on the same topic: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38922/log-in-click-play-nothing-happens#latest

Not 100% sure it's the culprit, but try going into your task manager and killing every nvcontainer.exe *32 process you can. New processes will start back up, but so far this seems to be working for me.

IMO, there's something wacky going on with Nvidia's drivers.

This fix worked for me, as the issue occurred again this morning. It's only been happening to me over the past few weeks, and I've updated my NVidia drivers sometime in the middle, so I don't think this is an issue with the new drivers.

I was quite fortunate to be able to update my drivers as I finished reinstalling the game client, it works fine until I reach a certain story quest in PoF then it just crashes every time. 2 steps forward, 1 step back...bugger.

I want to say that I talked over email with one of the support techs, did some things that might of helped. Although since the problem of game not starting upon clicking play/launch is random (it seems) for me, .. there isn't really a way for me to tell if it was fixed except just playing and seeing if it doesn't happen anymore.

Some things they had me do was clear the cache folder and bin folder.Also I have the most up to date Nvidia driver.

I haven't been having the launch issue as of a week+ ago.

I'm going to use the -log command for my gw2 shortcut, for if it does happen I Can HOPEFULLY catch the error/problem in the log.I May be doing a new PC build, hopefully Soon, so hopefully no issues on that one too.

Good luck all.

Archived