Give us hope, Anet

Hello,Sharing my experience and hoping to find others in the same situation.

First, let's be clear I am not crying because I'm not plat or leg. I played video games competively over 10 years ago but are just looking for a good time now.

I start gw2 pvp in September and my frustration is that for the 3rd season in a row I will end up with the same ranking (top silver). I am not complaining or saying that I should be higher but just saying I don t see hope to get to a higher rank.Techniccaly, it means that my level has not improved in 9 months from when I was playing a pve build and not knowing what to do to now rotating much better and mastering my build.It's the first time that I play a game or sport or do something without seeing the reflect of my efforts.Your system is based on how well I am matched with people but I don't think it's working well in low tier because there is too much randomness. For my last 3 games, at least one of my teammate stopped after the first fight. Nothing I can do about it. I still tried to cap and win my 1o1. Last night, I lost 3 games and won 3 but my mmr went down by - 5. Even in school you are not penalize that much in your test. If a right answer gives you 1 point a wrong answer never give you -1.5 point.

Anyway, anybody else feeling the same? No need to call me noon or anything else ... I already know it.Thanks for reading or not.Max

@"Fronga Drigo.6179" said:I start gw2 pvp in September and my frustration is that for the 3rd season in a row I will end up with the same ranking (top silver). I am not complaining or saying that I should be higher but just saying I don t see hope to get to a higher rank.

Your system is based on how well I am matched with people but I don't think it's working well in low tier because there is too much randomness. For my last 3 games, at least one of my teammate stopped after the first fight. Nothing I can do about it. I still tried to cap and win my 1o1. Last night, I lost 3 games and won 3 but my mmr went down by - 5. Even in school you are not penalize that much in your test. If a right answer gives you 1 point a wrong answer never give you -1.5 point.

Remember this: if you get placed with "bad" players like that, so do your opponents, in equal measure, and that means that you have up to 4 spots filled with them on your team ... while the other side has 5 slots they can fill. You are more likely to see them on the other team than your own.

Also, MMR changes are based on one of four outcomes (to grossly simplify), the "expected" and the "actual" outcome, which determine the direction and size of the change. "expected" outcome determines the size, "actual" outcome the direction; the size is basically "did outcome match expected" where "yes" means "small change" and "no" means "large change".

Also also, MMR changing by a little, like -5, is pretty insignificant. That is close enough to saying "in that evening you were playing as predicted", just as a +5 change would also be saying the same thing. Ignore the small changes.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Fronga Drigo.6179" said:I start gw2 pvp in September and my frustration is that for the 3rd season in a row I will end up with the same ranking (top silver). I am not complaining or saying that I should be higher but just saying I don t see hope to get to a higher rank.

Your system is based on how well I am matched with people but I don't think it's working well in low tier because there is too much randomness. For my last 3 games, at least one of my teammate stopped after the first fight. Nothing I can do about it. I still tried to cap and win my 1o1. Last night, I lost 3 games and won 3 but my mmr went down by - 5. Even in school you are not penalize that much in your test. If a right answer gives you 1 point a wrong answer never give you -1.5 point.

Remember this: if you get placed with "bad" players like that, so do your opponents, in equal measure, and that means that you have up to 4 spots filled with them on your team ... while the other side has 5 slots they can fill. You are more likely to see them on the other team than your own.

The problem is that, from my experience in low divisions, builds do have a huge impact too. It's clearly not going to be the same having 4 " bad " thieves and revs than having 4 " bad " scourges and spellbreakers .

@Abazigal.3679 said:

The problem is that, from my experience in low divisions, builds do have a huge impact too. It's clearly not going to be the same having 4 " bad " thieves and revs than having 4 " bad " scourges and spellbreakers .

Oh, absolutely, but again, you have four slots they could fill, the other team has five. Eventually, you will rise regardless of that, if your skill is higher.

@Fronga Drigo.6179 said:Hello,Sharing my experience and hoping to find others in the same situation.

First, let's be clear I am not crying because I'm not plat or leg. I played video games competively over 10 years ago but are just looking for a good time now.

I start gw2 pvp in September and my frustration is that for the 3rd season in a row I will end up with the same ranking (top silver). I am not complaining or saying that I should be higher but just saying I don t see hope to get to a higher rank.Techniccaly, it means that my level has not improved in 9 months from when I was playing a pve build and not knowing what to do to now rotating much better and mastering my build.It's the first time that I play a game or sport or do something without seeing the reflect of my efforts.Your system is based on how well I am matched with people but I don't think it's working well in low tier because there is too much randomness. For my last 3 games, at least one of my teammate stopped after the first fight. Nothing I can do about it. I still tried to cap and win my 1o1. Last night, I lost 3 games and won 3 but my mmr went down by - 5. Even in school you are not penalize that much in your test. If a right answer gives you 1 point a wrong answer never give you -1.5 point.

Anyway, anybody else feeling the same? No need to call me noon or anything else ... I already know it.Thanks for reading or not.Max

yea, welcome to gw2 low population pvp ...well if you cannot carry your team to win, you will stay silver.Its a competive game but that does require competive ppl to play successful... and over 90% of pvp junkies are noobs ... most veterans are gone and only a handful ppl remains.I for myself had a team at gw2 start and we climbed to master ... but with every season it gets harder

I'm in my 6th year of gw2. When I got frustrated with WvW I was encouraged to to go to PvP to "learn to play." It's mostly been miserable. I've logged off many times physically sick.

No, I have no anticipation at this stage that I'll improve ratings, regardless of the work I put in.

I been in silver a few times and I understand where you are coming from. Tons of players in silver don't know how to play conquest at all... they act like its team deathmatch and they don't know how to properly rotate on points. It also hurts a bit when you figure out a lot of silver players don't even know how to play their class or what role they should fill in conquest. So basically you are stuck in an endless grind in silver with a bunch of bad players.

@BMW.2951 said:I been in silver a few times and I understand where you are coming from. Tons of players in silver don't know how to play conquest at all... they act like its team deathmatch and they don't know how to properly rotate on points. It also hurts a bit when you figure out a lot of silver players don't even know how to play their class or what role they should fill in conquest. So basically you are stuck in an endless grind in silver with a bunch of bad players.

Was in up in Plat 1 for abit. Ppl still don't know how to rotate.

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I'm in my 6th year of gw2. When I got frustrated with WvW I was encouraged to to go to PvP to "learn to play." It's mostly been miserable. I've logged off many times physically sick.

I honestly don't know why I keep coming at all.. maybe mascochism? No, I have no anticipation at this stage that I'll improve ratings, regardless of the work I put in. The matches are set up to keep high rated players high rated. That means sacrificing lower rated players.

play something besides core and you'll improve your rating, focus on learning other classes skills and combo so you can improve your rating even further.

Improve yourself overall by actually challenging yourself in different aspect of the game and you'll have no issues getting out of silver or gold. I spam rank games on Engi/Deadeye/And Reaper. I still in between 1550-1700 rating every season depending if i want to try hard or just have fun playing what i want with knowing how other classes work/knowing what fights to pick and not to pick up. This game isn't so hard....especially with a low population

Ignore all the people saying LTP... they are unhelpful and mainly untrue statements. There are people who have two accounts, same build but different divisions. I've played the same build this season and went up 3 ranks and in the last month dropped 1.5ranks, is my play style that wild... nope.

Play for the fun of playing, not your rank. Your enjoyment is all that matters.

@Angelweave.1856 said:Ignore all the people saying LTP... they are unhelpful and mainly untrue statements. There are people who have two accounts, same build but different divisions. I've played the same build this season and went up 3 ranks and in the last month dropped 1.5ranks, is my play style that wild... nope.

At least he hasn't tasted plat yet. Those extra 2 pips really get the gravy train flowing for those flat gold rewards.

@Angelweave.1856 said:Ignore all the people saying LTP... they are unhelpful and mainly untrue statements. There are people who have two accounts, same build but different divisions. I've played the same build this season and went up 3 ranks and in the last month dropped 1.5ranks, is my play style that wild... nope.

That's odd. I tried two builds over 243 games in my single season of ranked. The first build placed me in gold 1, but I couldn't reach gold 2. Then I shifted toward the meta and was able to climb to platinum 1. At that point I hit a ceiling again and couldn't break into plat 2. In both cases I didn't have trouble staying roughly within that rating tier. It actually surprised me a bit because I could definitely see the low population issues at the platinum tier (being matched with legendary tier players, same faces over and over, etc.).

Maybe 243 games isn't enough and there was some luck involved, but it seemed unlikely that I would experience that same situation twice in the season with two different builds. There was a pretty clear skill ceiling for me that went away when I made the right changes to my build, and a clearly defined skill floor where I would start winning matches consistently if I dipped too close. Those are signs that overall matchmaking was working (I say was because this experience is from a year ago).

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I'm in my 6th year of gw2. When I got frustrated with WvW I was encouraged to to go to PvP to "learn to play." It's mostly been miserable. I've logged off many times physically sick.

I honestly don't know why I keep coming at all.. maybe mascochism? No, I have no anticipation at this stage that I'll improve ratings, regardless of the work I put in. The matches are set up to keep high rated players high rated. That means sacrificing lower rated players.

I'm actually going to try this theory out. I'm going to create a fresh f2p account on the NA servers, forget how to play the game during the 10 placements in order to get placed ~800-900 rating and actually play a core build and see what my winratio looks like after. Because I've seen a lot of players claiming to be stuck in Silver due to bad teammates.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

I honestly don't know why I keep coming at all.. maybe mascochism?
No, I have no anticipation at this stage that I'll improve ratings, regardless of the work I put in.
The matches are set up to keep high rated players high rated. That means sacrificing lower rated players.

I'm actually going to try this theory out. I'm going to create a fresh f2p account on the NA servers, forget how to play the game during the 10 placements in order to get placed ~800-900 rating and actually play a core build and see what my winratio looks like after. Because I've seen a lot of players claiming to be stuck in Silver due to bad teammates.

That's not wrong, but it depends about what they mean with " stuck ". If you're doing 6 games per week, you can easily lose all 12 due to bad luck and consider yourself " stuck " . If you're doing 200 games, i hardly believe someone deserving better will be " stuck ", but stil can experience chain wins/chain loses.

@Abazigal.3679 said:

The matches are set up to keep high rated players high rated. That means sacrificing lower rated players.

That's not wrong, but it depends about what they mean with " stuck ". If you're doing 6 games per week, you can easily lose all 12 due to bad luck and consider yourself " stuck " . If you're doing 200 games, i hardly believe someone deserving better will be " stuck ", but stil can experience chain wins/chain loses.

^This.

There's also the tendency to really notice those losses and especially those losing streaks that pull you back from breaking through your rating ceiling! If you're only playing a few games a week, well, "perfect" matchmaking would have you losing slightly more games than you win if you've hit your ceiling (that's why the ceiling is there!). The perception is that the game is holding you back.

Another tendency I notice is to compare rating from one class/build to another when the impact of a particular build is not only based on the build itself, but what builds everyone else is using. I don't expect I would see the same results now that I experienced playing a season of ranked as a Tempest Auramancer a year ago! But I am definitely going to feel a little discouraged if I can't match my rating from that season after playing a similar number of games in a current season. It just feels like no progress, when in reality it's not only my performance that factors into my rating. The meta and the build I use have a lot to do with it. How else did I place gold 1, get stuck there, then change my build and climb and remain in plat 1 all in the same season? It wasn't my rapidly increasing skill level that brought me up 3 rating tiers! It was the tweaks I made to my build that made it fit better into the team meta.

That's just the nature of conquest.

@rwolf.9571 said:

@BMW.2951 said:I been in silver a few times and I understand where you are coming from. Tons of players in silver don't know how to play conquest at all... they act like its team deathmatch and they don't know how to properly rotate on points. It also hurts a bit when you figure out a lot of silver players don't even know how to play their class or what role they should fill in conquest. So basically you are stuck in an endless grind in silver with a bunch of bad players.

Was in up in Plat 1 for abit. Ppl still don't know how to rotate.

It's sad really

@Abazigal.3679 said:

This is my issue. I can't play enough games per week (no time) to let the law of averages do it's job so it can be volatile. This is made worse by the fact that most the times I can play are off peak (when the MMing is not great). So I usually play unranked just for kicks.

I went from silver 3 to gold 3 with a support holo , not being able to try to reach platinum because i been having some black screen crashes, is not impossible to climb , is just a matter of testing several builds that work for you don't stick with "meta" builds , make minimal changes to your build until you feel that everything is perfect

@"Fronga Drigo.6179" said:Thank you all for your feedback. Unfortunately, I will not play something cheesy just forbthe purpose of climbing and will keep playing what I like (sb, soulbeast and reaper) equally for my enjoyement.

Hey, play whatever you want. But there is nothing "cheesy" about playing builds that tend to increase your team's chances of winning. Ironically, it's often duelist builds that are strong 1v1 that I tend to hear the most complaints about. But duels don't win conquest matches. That's why my Tempest duelist build couldn't get me out of gold 1, but switching to a team healer setup quickly bumped me up to plat 1. Arguably, the duelist build was much more "troll-y", but it couldn't win matches.

Archived