Update on Swiss and On-Demand ATs?

Math.5123

@Zaxares.5419 said:

@"coro.3176" said:

Not sure if you're aware, but back before PvP was solo/duo queue, people just whined and whined and whined constantly on the forums about getting stomped by a pre-made 5-person group. Now that we
have
solo/duo, people just whine about
that

Lesson? People whine about everything. The devs can't please everyone. At least they're developing new things, even if it takes an inexplicably long time. Yay pvp team!

It's probably two different groups of PvP'ers whining each time, but you're right. The system as it currently stands basically always has one side being unhappy. I think there needs to be a major overhaul of Ranked PvP.

Firstly, drop Unranked and Ranked Queues. Unranked tends to be all but abandoned during Seasons (and of late, Seasons have been running near-constantly with only a couple weeks downtime in between), since why would you ever play Unranked when you can get more rewards for the same thing in Ranked? Change it back to Solo and Team Queues, so that players who want to just jump in with 9 other randos and players who want to challenge other pre-made teams can both get what they want.

Now, the problem with Solo/Team Queues in the past was that VERY few players were doing Team Queues compared to Solo Queues, resulting 30min+ wait times for some people, depending on the hour. To fix this, I suggest creating a new opt-in PvP option that reads: "Allow me to be matched against Team Queues while Solo Queuing". To create incentive for Solo Queuers to tick this option, Solo Queuers who are placed in a match with Team Queuers get DOUBLE the rewards (in PvP XP, reward track progress, and pips) of what they would have normally got while Solo Queuing.

This neatly solves the problem of low pop in Team Queues, since I can guarantee that you will have no shortage of PvP players who don't really care if they win or lose a match as long as they think the rewards was worth their time. (The fact that you won't know if you're in a Team or Solo match should still incentivize players to do their best. Why get 6 pips if you could get 20 pips?) Players who absolutely do not want to face pre-mades still won't do so if they never tick that option, and if you are a pre-made team who doesn't want to get clueless (or leeching) randos on your team, you can always form a 5-man team and go in, thereby ensuring you will never get a random.

This needs to happen now @Anet @Ben Phongluangtham.1065

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

Swiss:
There hasn't been much to update. Work continues, it's just been more complicated than we hoped. But a lot of progress has been made in the last couple weeks. Sometime in the next few weeks, we'll have another update to the tournament backend systems that should be mostly invisible to you. But it will contain a lot of the things needed by swiss.

On-Demand AT's:
This has been pushed to after swiss. It unfortunately needed more UI work than we originally hoped.

Bonus update: Special Tournaments:
The server work mentioned in the above swiss section is also needed for special tournaments.

Thanks for the update.

Do you have anything else planned for PvP and/or a time frame for when Swiss will be completed?

We do have other plans, but I don't really want to talk about them yet since several are still not approved and might be some time away/not happen at all.

I have a general idea of when swiss might be done, but it's far enough away that I don't want to hazard saying when.

If swiss will be done by December thats fine by me. If your looking at at 2019 drop of swiss that be very dissapointing.

We're certainly targeting a release of swiss format tournaments this year. I'll also be disappointed if it slips to 2019.

Thanks ben....you the best...do me a favor and ignore the hatters they dont know whats involved when developing something new. Keep up the great work. Looking foward to swiss.....also i feel there should be athumbs down button and if something get enough thumbs down it automatically deleted from the forum.

@"Sinful.2165" said:

Just some feedback from an avid PvPer who has spent way too much in the gem store. The reason I’m still here is because of my wife and guild, but that won’t stop me from moving to a better MMO when it comes out. I’ll be taking as much of my community with me as I can when I go. If I can’t take the important people with me I’ll end up dividing my time between a game I no longer care about but people I do and a game that is actually fun. You can guess where my money will be going, though.

Lol, "Update PvP or I stop spending money and get people to quit."

I think you need to look up the word 'feedback' because that's just extortion with zero constructive feedback whatsoever.

Please keep the toxicity out of the forums, and preferably leave the game altogether because you're clearly not having fun.

Swiss:
There hasn't been much to update. Work continues, it's just been more complicated than we hoped. But a lot of progress has been made in the last couple weeks. Sometime in the next few weeks, we'll have another update to the tournament backend systems that should be mostly invisible to you. But it will contain a lot of the things needed by swiss.

On-Demand AT's:
This has been pushed to after swiss. It unfortunately needed more UI work than we originally hoped.

The server work mentioned in the above swiss section is also needed for special tournaments.

Thanks for the update.

Do you have anything else planned for PvP and/or a time frame for when Swiss will be completed?

We do have other plans, but I don't really want to talk about them yet since several are still not approved and might be some time away/not happen at all.

I have a general idea of when swiss might be done, but it's far enough away that I don't want to hazard saying when.

If swiss will be done by December thats fine by me. If your looking at at 2019 drop of swiss that be very dissapointing.

We're certainly targeting a release of swiss format tournaments this year. I'll also be disappointed if it slips to 2019.

Appreciate the hard work.Assuming you don't hear that often enough.

@shippage.1983 said:

@"Sinful.2165" said:

Just some feedback from an avid PvPer who has spent way too much in the gem store. The reason I’m still here is because of my wife and guild, but that won’t stop me from moving to a better MMO when it comes out. I’ll be taking as much of my community with me as I can when I go. If I can’t take the important people with me I’ll end up dividing my time between a game I no longer care about but people I do and a game that is actually fun. You can guess where my money will be going, though.

Lol, "Update PvP or I stop spending money and get people to quit."

I think you need to look up the word 'feedback' because that's just extortion with zero constructive feedback whatsoever.

Please keep the toxicity out of the forums, and preferably leave the game altogether because you're clearly not having fun.

The point is to illustrate that the PvP community is just as important as any other. If they are going to let PvP die it will affect other areas of the game as well. It seems all too often people have this ‘good riddance’ attitude such as you do toward the PvP community but every one who leaves is a loss in the form of revenue directly or indirectly and all the people influenced by them.

Less people in PvP puts another nail in the coffin of this game mode, it’s less people for the MMR to work with. It becomes a landslide as people leave en mass seeking a better game and taking their communities with them. In my case it is myself, my wife and most of our guild.

They need to recognize this, I’m putting it plainly. There is no toxicity to it.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:It's been over 6 months since we last had an update on these things. (A real update)Multiple Living Story maps has been pushed out, fractals, a new mount and even a legendary item. Pvp has had nothing in the past half year, except for overpowered builds ruining the experience.With all these threads about returning DuoQ, putting a few extra people on the new ATs might not be the dumbest thing for you guys.

I don't think that's really fair, we just had a big balance update that seems to have hit all the major issues with PvP balance.

There's a lot of disagreement about whether the changes affected balance enough but I think it was well done

Balance is really a big part of the content for pvp so I'm happy with it

New maps & game mods will help.But if we look at Gw2 spvp history. It shows even with new maps & game mods such as a death mod is only a short term solution.Unless while working on new maps such as 10v10 & other mods , another team is not put into work into the real issues such as balance & build diversity. I fear history will repeat itself. And players will have fun for a short time then there after a few month complain about balance & broken meta's & lack of build diversity.

One can not go with out the other.REbuild the pvp system from ground up i say.It's not working.

@Legatus.3608 said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:It's been over 6 months since we last had an update on these things. (A real update)Multiple Living Story maps has been pushed out, fractals, a new mount and even a legendary item. Pvp has had
nothing
in the past half year, except for overpowered builds ruining the experience.With all these threads about returning DuoQ, putting a few extra people on the new ATs might not be the dumbest thing for you guys.

I don't think that's really fair, we just had a big balance update that seems to have hit all the major issues with PvP balance.

There's a lot of disagreement about whether the changes affected balance enough but I think it was well done

Balance is not done by the PvP team.

Swiss:

On-Demand AT's:

Thanks for the update.

Ben... you are 1 of the best thing (ppl) in this game , but well i don't want to be rude... but it's ultraaaaalate, the majority of "pro" player left this game or are in the way to change game... we talked about swiss format for a year... and in the meantime there is nothing... at's are fun ok , but it's not enough and it was obvius even before you added them... gw2 have one of the best combat for an mmorpg with a pvp mode , but really we reached a very high point during pre hot but now... esl stuff is gone , no more offline tournament (why you didn't organize something last year at gamescom or at pax...) the better spvp streamers are gone, balance is a joke and there is no improvement after pof.... balance team made the same exactly mistakes that was made with hot...season are always the same... and they seems useless.... maybe it will have more reason to do a team season with the better teams qualified for turonament of glory or legends or something similar....

it's late , ppl lost patience... this game have nearly 6 year and it seems we are still in a beta... this isn't an healty thing.... and the things seems even worse more time pass...i really look with envy spvp in end of 2013 - during 2014... and i don't have hope that things will be again good... or just fine

Who is ready to wait for Guild wars 3 in hopes of actual pvp? I'm biding my time with pvp here till i find a time worthy game to swap to. Been a vet player from gw1 launch but holy crap pvp here hasn't improved at all after the like HoT spam wars builds and we are still dancing around 3 circles on giant maps lol.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:It's been over 6 months since we last had an update on these things. (A real update)Multiple Living Story maps has been pushed out, fractals, a new mount and even a legendary item. Pvp has had
nothing
in the past half year, except for overpowered builds ruining the experience.With all these threads about returning DuoQ, putting a few extra people on the new ATs might not be the dumbest thing for you guys.

Really??? OMG

that's so bad

@Legatus.3608 said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

nothing

Really??? OMG

that's so bad

Yeah, what he says. That's To bad...

Archived