sPvP: Meditrapper DH was NERFED

FtoPScrub.5476

These changes to UNUSED traits did NOTHING for DH in sPvP unless you're running a meme build. Soaring Devastation is never going to be taken by any competent DH, so is BGH. The sword changes amount to a dps buff for PvE but are a significant nerf in sPvP. People are going to think DH got away with buffs because DPS increase in PvE + trait buffs, but don't be fooled. If you run meditrapper DH, you just got nerfed. Meanwhile, Holos are okay.

Nobody asked for the sword change. We wanted TS buffs to be extended to sPvP, not WvW + 25% movement speed on a minor trait, not on a trait so irrelevant that it's not used in any game mode.

I wonder if people such as yourself ever stop to contemplate why traits that don't get used often are the ones that get buffed?Probably not, otherwise we wouldn't keep seeing posts like yours.

Guardian remains and has always been balanced very well in terms of skills and traits that offer actual risk vs reward and actual tradeoffs for choosing a one trait over another or to use a skill vs maintaining the passive. these changes are in line with that.

It would just be nice if more professions in the game were balanced in such a way.

@Ezrael.6859 said:I wonder if people such as yourself ever stop to contemplate why traits that don't get used often are the ones that get buffed?Probably not, otherwise we wouldn't keep seeing posts like yours.

Guardian remains and has always been balanced very well in terms of skills and traits that offer actual risk vs reward and actual tradeoffs for choosing a one trait over another or to use a skill vs maintaining the passive. these changes are in line with that.

It would just be nice if more professions in the game were balanced in such a way.

You can buff traits without adding buffs people were requesting as baseline. Buffing unused traits is good. Adding buffs that should have been baseline to unused traits is NOT good. Adding buffs to unused traits and then nerfing baseline abilities to compensate is TERRIBLE.

Meditrapper was nerfed this patch. There is no justifying that period.

DH had a major buff. However, it is a none trap buff. I played few games using LB and GS, rad/DH/valor and had huge success. You can easily hit 7k TS (I hit 8-9k a couple of times). Landing GS 2 on a teethered target is nearly one shot.

If you still want to pull targets to traps GL. The buffs won’t help you.

@otto.5684 said:DH had a major buff. However, it is a none trap buff. I played few games using LB and GS, rad/DH/valor and had huge success. You can easily hit 7k TS (I hit 8-9k a couple of times). Landing GS 2 on a teethered target is nearly one shot.

I tried that build(or one very similar) and I found it to be way too cheesy/memey. It works against noobs, as most DH builds do, but it is the epitome of one dimensional. It has few sources of retaliation despite being heavily reliant on it and as such gets HARD countered by annulment/revocation sigils, which any spec can run. And you lose too much juking/chasing potential with sword 2 and the lack of deflecting shot knockback means you land less true shots. Its a very poor side noder for those reasons. You can snipe people like a deadeye, but might as well just run deadeye at that point.

@FtoPScrub.5476 said:

@otto.5684 said:DH had a major buff. However, it is a none trap buff. I played few games using LB and GS, rad/DH/valor and had huge success. You can easily hit 7k TS (I hit 8-9k a couple of times). Landing GS 2 on a teethered target is nearly one shot.

I tried that build(or one very similar) and I found it to be way too cheesy/memey. It works against noobs, as most DH builds do, but it is the epitome of one dimensional. It has few sources of retaliation despite being heavily reliant on it and as such gets HARD countered by annulment/revocation sigils, which any spec can run. And you lose too much juking/chasing potential with sword 2 and the lack of deflecting shot knockback means you land less true shots. Its a very poor side noder for those reasons. You can snipe people like a deadeye, but might as well just run deadeye at that point.

I ran 100% retaliation. I was running leadership runes, GS, hold the line and save yourselves. Granted, save yourselves is not ideal, but overall I had no issues maintaining retaliation. Also, i had decent mobility. Also, I was running three CC breaks (contemplation of purity) so I was not exactly easy to control.

I am not saying this build is top dog, but it is million times better than any DH trapper build, as things currently stand. If the devs increase TS damage by 10%, this will be right on the money.

@otto.5684 said:

I ran 100% retaliation. I was running leadership runes, GS, hold the line and save yourselves. Granted, save yourselves is not ideal, but overall I had no issues maintaining retaliation. Also, i had decent mobility.

I am not saying this build is top dog, but it is million times better than any DH trapper build, as things currently stand.

Double shout means you're giving up either smite or JI though. Either you give up significant mobility or significant condi clense(and the build doesn't run absolute resolution either) + 2k heal every 16s. which is a lot to ask for to maintain retaliation, especially when you consider that your other sources of retaliation already sacrifice a lot of utility. Retal on heal skill is sacrificing heal for retal, and light field leaps are sacrificing mobility for retal. It's just losing way too much utility for damage imo. It's also very easy to strip on annulment/revocation combinations because the lack of virtues mean you have far less cover boons outside of Save Yourselves.

@FtoPScrub.5476 said:

I ran 100% retaliation. I was running leadership runes, GS, hold the line and save yourselves. Granted, save yourselves is not ideal, but overall I had no issues maintaining retaliation. Also, i had decent mobility.

I am not saying this build is top dog, but it is million times better than any DH trapper build, as things currently stand.

Double shout means you're giving up either smite or JI though. Either you give up significant mobility or significant condi clense(and the build doesn't run absolute resolution either) + 2k heal every 16s. which is a lot to ask for to maintain retaliation, especially when you consider that your other sources of retaliation already sacrifice a lot of utility. Retal on heal skill is sacrificing heal for retal, and light field leaps are sacrificing mobility for retal. It's just losing way too much utility for damage imo. It's also very easy to strip on annulment/revocation combinations because the lack of virtues mean you have far less cover boons outside of Save Yourselves.

I ran something similar to otto's build once (slightly different utilities). What you said is pretty accurate; may as well just run Deadeye. His build actually works better than DH meditrapper as a teamfighter since your lack of defence/sustain can be covered by heals/insta rez/protection/aegis from teammates however the build isn't particularly good at 1v1 or smaller scale type scenarios where you're the focus of enemy damage and is very poor at contesting on-point. It can be better than meditrapper sometimes but I think Deadeye just does it better.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:

I ran something similar to otto's build once (slightly different utilities). What you said is pretty accurate; may as well just run Deadeye. His build actually works better than DH meditrapper as a teamfighter since your lack of defence/sustain can be covered by heals/insta rez/protection/aegis from teammates however the build isn't particularly good at 1v1 or smaller scale type scenarios where you're the focus of enemy damage and is very poor at contesting on-point. It can be better than meditrapper sometimes but I think Deadeye just does it better.

I tried this pre-buff and did not like it. Post buff though is a different. The biggest issue is that you must land SoJ. If you do not the damage drops significantly, so you have to select you timing wisely.

I do not think it is comparable to DE. It is closer in play style to Soul Beast. Less mobile, but with significantly stronger AOE.

AgreedFinally being liberated from travelers/speed runes is EPIC for WvW roaming. Finally, all those lovely runes at our disposal for something outside a duelling build <3

Archived