FYI: Rangers still outrange Deadeyes

Tarinis.6054

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:

@saerni.2584 said:I agree that 1500 should mean the same thing on all weapons.

Out of curiosity, does shortbow outrange pistol as well?

If you count the arrow bounce, yes.

@Tarinis.6054 said:It just seems so wrong to me. Shouldnt we at least be even?

Maybe in future they will develop better rifle technology, but for now it is as it was in the real-life past, Longbows have more range than early rifles.

Except in real life around that same era, Rifles had much more power than long bows, significantly easier to use, required less physical strength, and required less training. Like the crossbow, they began to make the Longbow obsolete.

@Aomine.5012 said:

Maybe in future they will develop better rifle technology, but for now it is as it was in the real-life past, Longbows have more range than early rifles.

Except in real life around that same era, Rifles had much more power than long bows, significantly easier to use, required less physical strength, and required less training. Like the crossbow, they began to make the Longbow obsolete.

Back in 18th century, rifle doesn't hit long range (actually alot shorter than arrows), easily explode on itself and damage the user.A trained Bowman can shoot further, and attach fire or poison on the arrows to make them more deadly.

The advantage of using Rifle back then is even farmers/ slaves can learn how to use them , so they're used as a tossed away soldiers to use quantity to overwhelms the enemies to cover up their lack of functionality.

I don't remember bows being used though in the French Indian War though which was in the 1750s. Bows were stopped being used for warfare in around the 1500s though. Granted, they were using smooth bore which made them not accurate, they became very prevalent though because of the ease of use and less training time. I need to look into longbow use, but I don't think they were used as much when firearms came into being.

The earliest history I know of for Rifles overtaking Longbows is feudal Japan. It was much easier to use, and all around better than a bow for their use cases. Which is funny as a bow and horse was really important for their culture.

For european history, Longbows were replaced by crossbows for the same reason that rifle had. They were just all around better. They were slower to use, and more expensive, but significantly easier to use, could produce much more power and range, and required far less strength to use than a long bow. Which... if you ever used a longbow.... you'd know you couldn't hold a drawn arrow like they do in the movies for more than ten seconds.

I have done archery before with recurves, so I know what you mean. As for the history, I did see that crossbows were the intermediary between the longbow and rifle. An interesting side fact I found out, longbows really died out of use because they used up most of the wood that was required to make them making them expensive to make.

The kitten... Well I don't know the exact practice they used... so I guess they burned an entire tree trunk on a long bow. My only assumption to that one is the process of making a quarter staff. Which you can only get four out of a length of a tree trunk. Which is used for pole arms dowels, and axe shafts.

The same wood was also used for boats too which is why the wood disappeared so quick.

Ah right, the scarcity problem. It also lead to the massive increase in price for firewood at the time. And people encouraging poor folks to bring firewood to burn or sell.

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Saraneth.6021 said:

@Jana.6831 said:

@Justine.6351 said:I had a deadeye so giddy because he could 1-shot my hammer rev from stealth.Pretty much sums up the state of deadeye, useless 99% of the time.

Maybe that's because 99% of the players are useless 99% of the time.

So in saying that, Deadeye is useless 99.99% of the time. Great!

I don't think you understand how percentages work.

@Saraneth.6021 said:

This is a Fantasy game, not a real-life past game.

...you know it works as much against his argument as it does against yours, right?

I don't get what you are trying to say... everything seems fine to me.

I am glad you all agree that in 2017, in a fantasy game, it is ok to create a technologic looking weapon with starwars fire shots, to be useless because it was useless when it was created back in time, in our real life world, only to defend the idea that devs made a really good work in creating this weapon for deadeye. Staff for thiefs is way better and more useful than the newest elite specialization they created right after.

The best use of DeadEye is, like some poeple here said, using P/P after hitting F1/F2 for buffs. It is true that after few seconds I have full stack of malice besides might and other buffs. Although, I still feel like my dps using p/p with daredevil is way higher.

And Btw, dont forget to sit before shoot, and make sure your enemy dont approach, or you will miss shots. If you use your riffle standing you will take at least 2 hours to kill your enemy. If you sit, in a good range, use your buffs and shoot, you may have a nice dmg in a single target, or not, some foes has high defense and since you can't take them down fast and they will approach you, it is the best to change for another weapon.

@Barzah.8019 said:

@SteepledHat.1345 said:Rifle deadeye is a newbie trap. DD is better in almost every way. Hopefully rifle and DE get a rework.

I hope not, i just got killing badge in 8 out of 10 matches with average of 2 death (many times it's just 0 death...0 death). THe mechanic is already good in general but it's just lacking reward right now

So where is the footage of your competitive Deadeye play?

Also, just killing badge? Means you can tag targets. Wohoo.

I regularly got 2-4 badges when playing P/D Daredevil before the expansion came out (haven't tried since).

@OlsenSan.2987 said:I am glad you all agree that in 2017, in a fantasy game, it is ok to create a technologic looking weapon with starwars fire shots, to be useless because it was useless when it was created back in time, in our real life world, only to defend the idea that devs made a really good work in creating this weapon for deadeye. Staff for thiefs is way better and more useful than the newest elite specialization they created right after.

The best use of DeadEye is, like some poeple here said, using P/P after hitting F1/F2 for buffs. It is true that after few seconds I have full stack of malice besides might and other buffs. Although, I still feel like my dps using p/p with daredevil is way higher.

What are you talking about? I don't agree with that at all. I want the rifle to do more damage and have piercing power like the real world counterparts in the modern era. I don't see it happening though because of the messed up balance philosophy A-net has on being anti-range.

The problem is Deadeye Kneel Skills don’t have the 15% Buffer all Ranged/Melee Skills are supposed to have to help with tracking, Anet just has to add that buffer, or remove it from every other class/Weapon, which one seems easier to implement?

The buffer was never a visible thing before the Deaedeye since Deadeye shows a visual Representation of exactly where 1500 Range is and it shows that Ranger skills can engage well past that Range marker.

Again all that is missing is the 15% Buffer. I made a bug post about this in the Bug subforum.

Attached is a Screenshot from testing the range difference. Magnified shows the range Marker for Deadeye.

https://imgur.com/a/HLjGY

Archived