Missing / Checkboard character or NPC textures [Merged]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a bad time to binge on story :P But here's all the characters me and my friend saw checkerboarded while playing through the story.

Note that we saw characters checkerboarded at the same time; every time one of us had an NPC with bad textures the other person had the same problem with the same character.

Human lvl 10

The apothecary from growing up on the streets. I wasn't keeping track yet.

Human lvl 20

! No-one in any of the instances:!! 2.1 Voices from the past! 2.2 Rending the mantle! 2.3 Rending the mantle II! 2.4 The sting! 2.5 Ashes of the past

Human lvl 30

! 3.1 Orders of Tyria! 3.2 Orders of Tyria II! 3.3 Mortus Virge! 3.4 Mortus Virge II! (No-one)!! 3.5 Track the seraph! Lionguard Williams!! 3.6 Track the seraph II! 3.7 The sad tale of the "Ravenous"! 3.8 The sad tale of the "Ravenous" II! 3.9 Enter the trap! (No-one)

Asura lvl 10

! 1.1 Explsovie Intellect! Zojja! Councillor Flax!! 1.2 Snaff would be proud! Zojja!! 1.3 Piece negotiations! Inquest Infiltrator!! 1.4 Readings on the rise! Zojja!! 1.4 Readings on the rise II! Zojja!! 1.5 Unscheduled delay! (Zojja is fine again)!! 1.6 Gadd's last gizmo! Gadd's hologram! Zojja

Asura lvl 20

! 2.1 Any sufficiently advanced science! Zojja!! 2.2 Any sufficiently advanced science II! Luminates supervisor Wenn!! 2.3 Beta test! (No-one)!! 2.4 Beta-test II! Zojja!! 2.5 Industrial espionage! Lab manager Grex!! 2.6 Split second! Zojja

Asura lvl 30

! 3.1 A bold new theory! Zojja!! 3.2 Hazardous environment! (No-one)!! 3.3 Hazardous environment II! Zojja!! 3.4 Protest too much! (No-one)!! 3.5 Protest too much II! Zojja!! 3.6 Test Subject! (No-one)!! 3.7 Test subject II! Zojja!! 3.8 Lines of communication! Councillor Flax! Zojja was bad in the first cutscene, fine in the second one, and bad again in the third. (IIRC)

Order of Whispers lvl 40

! 4.1 Setting the stage! Zojja!! 4.2 Meeting the mentor! (No-one)!! 4.3 Stealing secrets! Ministry guard! Ministry sergeant!! 4.4 Down the hatch! Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw! Second mate Khebril!! 4.5 Down the hatch II! 4.6 They went thataway! 4.7 An apple a day! 4.8 An apple a day II! (No-one)

Quaggans lvl 50

!! 5.1 Bad Ice! Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw!! 5.2 Bad Ice II! 5.3 Enraged and unashamed! (No-one)!! 5.4 Evacuation! Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw

Screenshots

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14wvNo-e6c7YYmwrwMJr1n-rFXhzLV4CX

Thank god, i though it was me! Decided to finally play through the main story on my ALT and most NPCS are checkerboard textures.

I can see this is an issue for a lot of people and you'd think this would be something they would prioritize to fix asap , new players joining seeing this bug could be a real turn off which is sad seeing how great the game is.

AnywaysDzvFfp9XcAAGuFE.jpg

I have deleted the GW2 Cache folders, used the repair function and deleted the gw2.dat and re downloaded it and the problem still persists. Doesn't matter if on native resolution or super sampled.

System Information

!Time of this report: 2/19/2019, 12:45:29! Machine name: DESKTOP-BUNRJ2B! Machine Id: --------------------------! Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)! Language: English (Regional Setting: English)! System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.! System Model: AX370-Gaming K7! BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/08/18 17:22:27 Ver: 05.0000D (type: BIOS)! Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~4.1GHz! Memory: 16384MB RAM! Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM! Page File: 9206MB used, 15124MB available! Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS! DirectX Version: DirectX 12! DX Setup Parameters: Not found! User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)! System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)! DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled! Miracast: Available, with HDCP! Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported! DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

This is my 14th character and my 5th Asuran. I have never encountered this problem before during the Asuran personal story. So far, during the personal stories "2. Interested Parties - Flash Flood" and "3. Research Resecuer - A Bold New Theory", Zojja becomes black and white checkerboarded. No other character becomes that way. It seems to be only when she is standing on the left hand side of the screen. When she is on the right hand side, she appears to be normally textured and complete.https://i.imgur.com/Zt1cuU1.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/sNC4Itz.jpg

I had this texture bug on multiple occasions. Mostly in story instances; can confirm that for example the green knight in Sylvari's level 10 personal story also has checkerboard texture during cinematics.

However it seems to not only be isolated to story levels. I don't have a screenshot with me, but last time during Undreground Facility fractal when entire party was using stealth from smoke clouds in order to put bombs into the pipe at the end of the corridor, I noticed very faint checkerboard patterns occasionally appearing slightly above the ground and hovering there for a few seconds. I was unable to identify what exactly was leaving them (you know - speedrunning fractals, move your butt or get out of party, that kind of stuff - business as usual), but they were there.

I have already performed a game client repair, it didn't help. I've also updated GPU drivers to the latest version and that didn't help either.

I've come across checkered NPC's in the following instances:Human lvl 30 personal story "Track the Seraph" an NPC was checkered in the instance in Black Haven (Kessex Hills)Human lvl 40 chapter "Setting the stage" Zojja was checkered in the Lion's Arch instance.Human lvl 40 "A fragile peace" Almorra was checkered in the Lion's Arch instanceHuman/vigil lvl 50 "Bad Ice" Forgal is checkered in the first underwater instance

Seeing checkerboard in all cutscenes with Zojja, through azura personal story chapter 3. Also seeing checkerboard Sieran in human - Durmond Priory - quaggan... but she was fine earlier, suggesting perhaps the lighting change of being underwater triggered it for her. (4K, high graphics settings)

Update: Yep, Sieran was back to normal at the first cutscene back out of the water.

Zojja also appears for me as a checkerboard.

Not only that, but I recreated my human noble elementalist so that I could record her story, and the first cutscene you have with an NPC, Sgt. Walters I think her name is, is bugged as checkerboard too.

So I have an asura and a human that I can't level until this gets fixed because I like to record my playthroughs.

Archived