Spellbreaker

Xelvas.5784

Does anyone know what the purpose of the spellbreaker is anymore? When the spellbreaker was originally designed, it used double daggers. The daggers stripped boons from other players. After the balance patch, the double dagger build became unplayable. Now they don't even use daggers, and no other weapon strips boons from players. So, what is the point of the spellbreaker? If it is to just cause a lot of damage, why are they still called "spellbreakers"? The spellbreaker was my favorite elite spec until the balance patch changed it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well a hammer spellbreaker will rip boons pretty well. Mace/shield will as well. Full Counter will still remove boons. Earthshaker -> Full Counter -> Earthshaker will rip a great deal of boons in a short period. Disrupting Stab on dagger will still rip boons, as will Breaching Strike.

So... what is the point of your post? Spellbreaker can rip plenty of boons.

Well any weapon or utility skill that dazes, stuns, interrupts, knockbacks, launches, pulls, or knocks down will remove a boon due to Dispelling Force if Stability does not negate the CC.

Also, you can avoid double or triple posting by clicking the gear icon next to the time stamp of you last post and click 'Edit" and just condense it to one post. After a few hours you can't do that anymore.

As to what weapon you use? Whatever you like. Full Counter will take care of boon ripping and maxing Attacker's Insight for you. Hammer, dagger, mace, and shield are all good weapons for a Spellbreaker, but that does not mean you can't run axe, sword, longbow, rifle, or greatsword if that is what you like.

@IWAY.8231 said:spellbreaker trait 1-1-2.

anything other than that is some bork bork hocus pocus. or not even hocus pocus. bork bork.

Well 1-3-2 if you run dagger MH or OH. Strength for Forceful Greatsword (50% chance for might on crit) + Might Makes Right, Discipline for Axe Training, and Axe/Dagger, Dagger/Axe would have high damage and high sustain.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

anything other than that is some bork bork hocus pocus. or not even hocus pocus. bork bork.

Well 1-3-2 if you run dagger MH or OH. Strength for Forceful Greatsword (50% chance for might on crit) + Might Makes Right, Discipline for Axe Training, and Axe/Dagger, Dagger/Axe would have high damage and high sustain.

Loss Aversion and Winds of Disenchantment. Damage the enemies and gain adrenaline while bubbling (damage around 900-1k crit and enmasse (10 people)) how long? 5 seconds? how many damage pops? every 1 second so make that 5x 900-1k crit. how many people? make that 10x(5x(900-1k crit)) ideally.

EDIT: lel

February 06, 2018

The damage from activations of this trait has been reduced by 33% in PvP and WvW only.December 12, 2017

Added a missing skill fact; this trait now indicates that it cannot make critical strikes.Damage increased by 300% in PvE only.September 22, 2017 Path of Fire release:Loss Aversion has been added to the game.

so yeah, just do the adjustments based on the updates. still the same factors just look at the current damage in WvWvW if you're on Full Zerkers armor and on Precision+Ferocity runes. i think i was describing my hazy memory when i hardcorely played SB.

@IWAY.8231 said:

Loss Aversion and Winds of Disenchantment. Damage the enemies and gain adrenaline while bubbling (damage around 900-1k crit and enmasse (10 people)) how long? 5 seconds? how many damage pops? every 1 second so make that 5x 900-1k crit. how many people? make that 10x(5x(900-1k crit)) ideally.

February 06, 2018The damage from activations of this trait has been reduced by 33% in PvP and WvW only.December 12, 2017Added a missing skill fact; this trait now indicates that it cannot make critical strikes.Damage increased by 300% in PvE only.September 22, 2017 Path of Fire release:Loss Aversion has been added to the game.

so yeah, just do the adjustments based on the updates. still the same factors just look at the current damage in WvWvW if you're on Full Zerkers armor and on Precision+Ferocity runes. i think i was describing my hazy memory when i hardcorely played SB.

Loss Aversion and WoD tickle in WvW now. The usefulness there is in boon rips and projectile defense. If he is roaming in WvW 1-3-2 with Strength 3-2-2 and discipline 2-3-1 will offer good damage and sustain with axe/dagger & dagger/axe.

February 06, 2018

The damage from activations of this trait has been reduced by 33% in PvP and WvW only.December 12, 2017

Added a missing skill fact; this trait now indicates that it cannot make critical strikes.Damage increased by 300% in PvE only.September 22, 2017 Path of Fire release:Loss Aversion has been added to the game.

Loss Aversion and WoD tickle in WvW now. The usefulness there is in boon rips and projectile defense. If he is roaming in WvW 1-3-2 with Strength 3-2-2 and discipline 2-3-1 will offer good damage and sustain with axe/dagger & dagger/axe.

damage is still damage. say if your zerg spike needed 200 dmg more to bring 10 people down, and there are 2-3 SB traited with Loss Aversion, what dya think will happen?

and yeah, for roaming, 1-1-2 SB with WoD still works. Say a class with all the boons with 25 might up and doing 111112111112 on his longbow fights you...

@IWAY.8231 said:

February 06, 2018The damage from activations of this trait has been reduced by 33% in PvP and WvW only.December 12, 2017Added a missing skill fact; this trait now indicates that it cannot make critical strikes.Damage increased by 300% in PvE only.September 22, 2017 Path of Fire release:Loss Aversion has been added to the game.

damage is still damage. say if your zerg spike needed 200 dmg more to bring 10 people down, and there are 2-3 SB traited with Loss Aversion, what dya think will happen?

and yeah, for roaming, 1-1-2 SB with WoD still works. Say a class with all the boons with 25 might up and doing 111112111112 on his longbow fights you...

Full Counter still works. So does kick. So does hammer. So does Sigil of Absorption.

February 06, 2018

Full Counter still works. So does kick. So does hammer. So does Sigil of Absorption.

oh, i was referring to Spellbreakers on FULL Zerker Gear/Weapons and Precision+Ferocity runes with proper Sigils that can dive in on an enemy Zerg alone and never dies. what if the SB is not alone (aka with his Server Zerg) and fully assault the enemy zerg?

with WoD and Loss Aversion of course.

Well, I use double daggers since the release of PoF and I always liked these on Spellbreaker.

F1 rips 2 boons.3 rips one boon (daze/stun)

4 hits really hard if your ennemy does nothing (well, he must be CCed)

5 is a nice reflect/dammage skill (also nice heal if you play with Sun and Moon style).

Though if you don't use daggers or use only one, you are better with Loss Aversion than Sun and Moon style.

@Edge.8724 said:Well, I use double daggers since the release of PoF and I always liked these on Spellbreaker.

F1 rips 2 boons.3 rips one boon (daze/stun)

4 hits really hard if your ennemy does nothing (well, he must be CCed)

5 is a nice reflect/dammage skill (also nice heal if you play with Sun and Moon style).

Though if you don't use daggers or use only one, you are better with Loss Aversion than Sun and Moon style.

OH dagger and MH axe with Axe Mastery works well with S&MS.Dagger 3 to Dagger 4 or Full Counter to Dagger 4 are easy combos to land. There is a lot to like with D/D, though hammer is still my Spellbreaker weapon of choice.

any average skilled warrior will just kite you to death using greatsword. he would out-move you. outdmg you and out sustain you

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

That is so so wrong.

1-1-2 spellbreaker can function VERY well in Zerg fighting and can do just fine in Solo/little group roaming.

you just need to use the RIGHT weapons (and that's not Dagger(s) or Hammer).

you can even go ULTRA glassy (all zerkers + PRecision&Ferocity runes).

@IWAY.8231 said:

That is so so wrong.

1-1-2 spellbreaker can function VERY well in Zerg fighting and can do just fine in Solo/little group roaming.

Spellbreaker's purpose is boonstrip, CC and utility. There's no sense in going damage-variant spellbreaker (there USED to be, when you could drop bubble + attack, this used to be very strong). Nowadays Hammer is THE weapon for spellbreaker, and you should be using No Escape (this turns Full Counter and Hammer Stun in a 5 man immob, strip and daze/stun). The end trait should be Enchant Collapse (more strips). Revenge Counter was strong prior to the Full Counter 66% damage nerf.

If you want to go damage, you should be Berserker. Spellbreaker can't even dream of doing Berserker levels of damage in zerg fight. On the other hand, Spellbreaker is the superior duelist (not with a hammer for this version).

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

That is so so wrong.

Spellbreaker's purpose is boonstrip, CC and utility. There's no sense in going damage-variant spellbreaker (there USED to be, when you could drop bubble + attack, this used to be very strong). Nowadays Hammer is THE weapon for spellbreaker, and you should be using No Escape (this turns Full Counter and Hammer Stun in a 5 man immob, strip and daze/stun). The end trait should be Enchant Collapse (more strips). Revenge Counter was strong prior to the Full Counter 66% damage nerf.

If you want to go damage, you should be Berserker. Spellbreaker can't even dream of doing Berserker levels of damage in zerg fight. On the other hand, Spellbreaker is the superior duelist (not with a hammer for this version).

yeah, damage went down 33% and suddenly they are useless.

you don't obviously notice how that damage reduction is somehow patched by using the right sigils.

so yeah, carry on with that mentality. lel.

Archived