Desperate plea - core/outdated skills

Core skills and several out dated skills need desperate attention. It's really bad. While leveling I can feel it a lot. I'm never excited to get a hero challenge done because the spells on my bar are irreplaceable.

Things like utility goggles for engineer is pretty bad for the cooldown... things like scorpion wire for thief simply need a projectile speed increase.

Warrior mace offhand and sword offhand need a full rework.

With the recent "trade off" for elite spec stance that anet has taken, I hope that all of the outdated skills will be updated!

While the need for a pass at skills is evident, I'm not convinced you've actually tried using a different build.

I have at least three of each class, and they all use different skills and styles. Every single one of them has completed the game, so I know it's at least possible.

@Trise.2865 said:While the need for a pass at skills is evident, I'm not convinced you've actually tried using a different build.

I have at least three of each class, and they all use different skills and styles. Every single one of them has completed the game, so I know it's at least possible.

I have multiple builds. Most of them are funneled into using the same utility skills or weapons due to them being miles better than anything else.

Yeah you technically CAN use scorpion wire... in pve pvp or wvw.... but why? It's so unreliable. Things like this prevent them being used at all. With power creep the need to take the best skills is only magnified. Like how 100% of thief builds are better off running dagger storm in wvw or pvp...

Half the skills in any every class seems so situational that they may as well be an F-key skill (except guardian, who has a tool or trick for basically any situation).

We've long since passed the point where a non-damaging single target pull (scorpian wire) or 2x1second immobilise (devourer venom) will do anything to help either yourself or the party. Especially since breakbars prevent these skills from doing what they were designed to do.

There a lot of effect and full skill lines that are in great need of update. All of ele glyph and conjurer weapons comes to mind.

The problem is every thing in gw2 is being updated to pair up with raids and its just not good desines to do it this way. Glyph of storms is a great example of this only raids dps is giving it buffs and nerf but all of these are meaningless because raids are an incomplete game type (not all of the effects from classes work or are needed in raids such as boon strip and condi clear). So you run into skills like glyph of storms only working in one game type but not all the others there by making it a very outdated skill. This happen with a lot of skills in gw2 right now.

In my view raid devs and committed the cardinal sin of making classes fit there raids and not making raids fit there classes. There will be no real updates to core skills because of this. Its a real problem is the reason for a lot of the game leaving behind classes.

@"Jski.6180" said:There a lot of effect and full skill lines that are in great need of update. All of ele glyph and conjurer weapons comes to mind.

What do you mean? Lightning Hammer and Frost Bow each give the Elementalist much needed hard-cc for breakbars, and can and should be taken if needed. Firey Greatsword is also a dps-gain or mobility boost (albeit on a large timer). I feel as though Earth Shield would be great if this game didn't have this "ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!" PBAoE mentality...

... and then there's flame axe. But nobody talks about firey axe...

What game mode doesn't glyph of storms work in? It can provide AoE vulnerability (air) or blinds (earth) or, at the very least, more dps than autoattack (fire) - all of which can be useful depending on the situation. You could argue there are better choices for WvW or PvP, but it's a great all-round PvE skill.

If anything, I'm more surprised you didn't talk about Elementalist Cantrips or Signets. I don't think I've ever used a cantrip or signet besides the Signet of Fire (which is phased out in fractals, since you don't need the extra precision) or maybe signet of air when I'm below level 35...

@Westenev.5289 said:

@"Jski.6180" said:There a lot of effect and full skill lines that are in great need of update. All of ele glyph and conjurer weapons comes to mind.

What do you mean? Lightning Hammer and Frost Bow each give the Elementalist much needed hard-cc for breakbars, and can and should be taken if needed. Firey Greatsword is also a dps-gain or mobility boost (albeit on a large timer). I feel as though Earth Shield would be great if this game didn't have this "ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!" PBAoE mentality...

What game mode doesn't glyph of storms work in? It can provide AoE vulnerability (air) or blinds (earth) or, at the very least, more dps than autoattack (fire) - all of which can be useful depending on the situation. You could argue there are better choices for WvW or PvP, but it's a great all-round PvE skill.

If anything, I'm more surprised you didn't talk about Elementalist Cantrips or Signets. I don't think I've ever used a cantrip or signet besides the Signet of Fire (which is phased out in fractals, since you don't need the extra precision) or maybe signet of air when I'm below level 35...

I think you made my point what wrong with the balancing of the core skills. If your just looking at these things from pve points of view your missing most of the games effects. If your just using lighting hammer and frost bow for hard cc on brake bars your missing the point of the weapons. Lightning hammer is a hard cc dps wepon frost bow is an odd ball dmg healing wepon. GS is raw dps for sure but its one of the least updated of them in the game. Flame axe was never worth any thing.

Cantrips maybe week to a point but are useful in spvp and wvw where you need counter to hard cc condi clear and mobility. Signet are in the same boat but more soft cc aimed and low number of targets.

You do bring up a good point that most of ele skills are week but a hand full that every one uses on all builds in all game types. This is not just about ele but its a good example of anet giving up on GW2.

@Jski.6180 said:

@Jski.6180 said:There a lot of effect and full skill lines that are in great need of update. All of ele glyph and conjurer weapons comes to mind.

I think you made my point what wrong with the balancing of the core skills. If your just looking at these things from pve points of view your missing most of the games effects. If your just using lighting hammer and frost bow for hard cc on brake bars your missing the point of the weapons. Lightning hammer is a hard cc dps wepon frost bow is an odd ball dmg healing wepon. GS is raw dps for sure but its one of the least updated of them in the game. Flame axe was never worth any thing.

Alternitively, you could see it as half the skills having some worth in WvW or PvP, while the other half have some use in PvE. It's not quite like thief, where you have two lines of bad skills that rely on gimmicks like Permastealth to even stand a chance at working (Venoms, Traps, I'm looking at you... Basilisk venom, you're good though owo) - so you end up seeing builds in PvP that you could concievably just port over to fractals.

@LaFurion.3167 said:

@Trise.2865 said:While the need for a pass at skills is evident, I'm not convinced you've actually
tried
using a different build.

I have at least three of each class, and they all use different skills and styles. Every single one of them has completed the game, so I know it's at least
possible

I have multiple builds. Most of them are funneled into using the same utility skills or weapons due to them being miles better than anything else.

...then you don't have multiple builds, do you?

@Westenev.5289 said:

@Jski.6180 said:There a lot of effect and full skill lines that are in great need of update. All of ele glyph and conjurer weapons comes to mind.

Alternitively, you could see it as half the skills having some worth in WvW or PvP, while the other half have some use in PvE. It's not quite like thief, where you have two lines of bad skills that rely on gimmicks like Permastealth to even stand a chance at working (Venoms, Traps, I'm looking at you... Basilisk venom, you're good though owo) - so you end up seeing builds in PvP that you could concievably just port over to fractals.

You can see any thing you want but that dose not make it true lol. All skills should be made for all game types. This is not even that hard you can make your pve skills balanced for very simple things like dmg and hp (healing def etc..) and your pvp/wvw skills more of counters to hp and dmg for all classes something there is a massive lack of to the out dated skills.

The skills are split but the balancing is not happening in any meaningful way. This game is being head hostages by raids and the "new" things by chose of the devs.

Permastealth was nerfed because of pve soloing raid boss ability. That how you get things nerfed is post a video of soloing raid bosses because the raid devs cant be bother to update there raids for the classes but feel completed to update the classes for the raids or what ever new thing is going on. Same thing happen for quickness, stab, might, condi dmg the list goes on.