Soulbeast is amazing for WvW Roaming. Better damage than ever before [VIDEO]

ninjambo.3784

People who have been saying Soulbeast is trash need to take a second look at it. Unblockable attacks when entering beastmode is by far the best trait we have ever had for PvP/WvW in this game. And Basically permanent 17% Damage bonus. Taking Rock Gazelle with a greatsword or sword also makes this build even more mobile than Druid. I made a video demonstrating this. I didn't include 1v1s in here because you will win 99% of fights with ease if you rotate your Beastmode correcly. The only thing hard to beat sometimes is a condi mesmer. Anyways, enjoy the video!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ninjambo - not sure if it is the general consensus but it does seem to be getting mixed reviews. After watching the video my first response was going to be that you would do well regardless of Soulbeast, Druid, or base Ranger. In other words your skill level is higher than most. You play melee very well, knew when to disengage, excellent pet management, didn't camp Soulbeast, and focused on the target to finish then engaged secondary target. Not to mention the speed of play was very fast which typically don't help aspiring melee rangers.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun video and thanks for taking the time. Seriously. I just think you are a top 1% player and would do fine regardless of what class is played. Hats off.

That's what I'm talking about! dope ass vid dude. Ya sb could use some tweaks buffs it feels amazing and watching your video makes me want to play with sword. Really smart combos, I've been using the live fast (as I run zerk/manders) but after seeing this boiii. Great vid

@Crapgame.6519 said:Hi ninjambo - not sure if it is the general consensus but it does seem to be getting mixed reviews. After watching the video my first response was going to be that you would do well regardless of Soulbeast, Druid, or base Ranger. In other words your skill level is higher than most. You play melee very well, knew when to disengage, excellent pet management, didn't camp Soulbeast, and focused on the target to finish then engaged secondary target. Not to mention the speed of play was very fast which typically don't help aspiring melee rangers.

Don't get me wrong, it was a fun video and thanks for taking the time. Seriously. I just think you are a top 1% player and would do fine regardless of what class is played. Hats off.

I appreciate that compliment. I do have experience with Vanilla and Druid as well and luckily for us power rangers all 3 of our options are extremely viable at the moment. The thing that puts soulbeast ahead of the other 2 builds, for both Group Roaming and Solo Roaming, is the unblockable attacks, and the amount of cleave we now have for downed players. Even without a bugged Rock Gazelle, the combination of soulbeast skills and perma poison makes it pretty hard to rez a downed player, making it much easier to get 1v2s and 1v3s. Druids can win 1vX because of heals and staff kiting. Soulbeasts can win it because of amazing burst combos and cleave. I would much prefer the Soulbeast option when choosing between those 2.

@Crapgame.6519 said:Also worth noting - although I don't think it would matter much - but you are using rock gazelle. That pet is bugged...

It's only bugged on downed players, but you're right and its extremely overpowered. Theres also a major bug where the "Break stun on entering beastmode" does not work. Lets hope anet fixes them both soon...

@Eleazar.9478 said:That's what I'm talking about! dope kitten vid dude. Ya sb could use some tweaks buffs it feels amazing and watching your video makes me want to play with sword. Really smart combos, I've been using the live fast (as I run zerk/manders) but after seeing this boiii. Great vid

Definitely try out the unblockable trait over live fast sometime :+1: Go into beastmode and use longbow 2 right as u see an enemy use their block skill. Its so good!

@ninjambo.3784 said:

@Crapgame.6519 said:Also worth noting - although I don't think it would matter much - but you are using rock gazelle. That pet is bugged...

It's only bugged on downed players, but you're right and its extremely overpowered. Theres also a major bug where the "Break stun on entering beastmode" does not work. Lets hope anet fixes them both soon...

I didn't know about the downed player part. Like I said I don't think it would have mattered. You are in another league ;) I actually watched it a 2nd time, what can I say... :) Keep up the good.

Very nice video. I run something very much similar. But with skirmishing(middle top bottom) over beastmastery.

I think a lot of people are upset with soul beast as it provides basically the same game play for pve with minimal improvements (no viable power build and condi sb is just condi ranger 2.0). In pvp /wvw its totally different. In some ways it's made pets that were never viable before somewhat viable.

For example one pet family I am really in love with is pigs(siamoth in particular). Charge on pigs is leap and a multi hit 3 second knockdown and maul allows you to have burst when in sword. The pet has basically replaced any reason to run gs for me. The defensive stat bonus + defy pain is icing on the cake.

@Eval.2371 said:Very nice video. I run something very much similar. But with skirmishing(middle top bottom) over beastmastery.

I think a lot of people are upset with soul beast as it provides basically the same game play for pve with minimal improvements (no viable power build and condi sb is just condi ranger 2.0). In pvp /wvw its totally different. In some ways it's made pets that were never viable before somewhat viable.

For example one pet family I am really in love with is pigs(siamoth in particular). Charge on pigs is leap and a multi hit 3 second knockdown and maul allows you to have burst when in sword. The pet has basically replaced any reason to run gs for me. The defensive stat bonus + defy pain is icing on the cake.

Agreed that pigs are awesome!! Siamoth is my favorite. I run them in duels alot of the time. I just cant go without Rock Gazelle's mobility for general roaming because its really common for a 1v1 to turn into a 1v10 these days.

@ninjambo.3784 said:

People who have been saying Soulbeast is trash need to take a second look at it. Unblockable attacks when entering beastmode is by far the best trait we have ever had for PvP/WvW in this game. And Basically permanent 17% Damage bonus. Taking Rock Gazelle with a greatsword or sword also makes this build even more mobile than Druid. I made a video demonstrating this. I didn't include 1v1s in here because you will win 99% of fights with ease if you rotate your Beastmode correcly. The only thing hard to beat sometimes is a condi mesmer. Anyways, enjoy the video!

Yeah, the daggers and slot skills are trash. That’s the major problem many of us have... And obviously the build you posted doesn’t even use them.

I’m sure you’re a great player, but c’mon now... We can’t claim a spec is something awesome when the majority of the new spec isn’t used or viable comparatively. That’s like saying Deadeye is great, but not running rifle or any slot skills...

Nice video with very high skill play, I don't think it would really matter what you played. I couldn't watch it in good quality as my internet here is terrible, but I didn't notice at any point you actually needing the unblockable attacks from Unstoppable Union. Although, I can see it being amazing for /S wars, guards, GS Rangers in general.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@ninjambo.3784 said:

Yeah, the daggers and slot skills are trash. That’s the major problem many of us have... And obviously the build you posted doesn’t even use them.

I’m sure you’re a great player, but c’mon now... We can’t claim a spec is something awesome when the majority of the new spec isn’t used or viable comparatively. That’s like saying Deadeye is great, but not running rifle or any slot skills...

You have a good point that dagger and most of the stances are bad, but that is a bad comparison. The spec is awesome because of traits and because of the variety of useful skills in beastmode. Having a bad 1hand weapon and some bad stances does not mean the majority of the elite spec if not being used. Beastmode is the main feature of the specialization.

@ninjambo.3784 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@ninjambo.3784 said:

You have a good point that dagger and most of the stances are bad, but that is a bad comparison. The spec is awesome because of traits and because of the variety of useful skills in beastmode. Having a bad 1hand weapon and some bad stances does not mean the majority of the elite spec if not being used. Beastmode is the main feature of the specialization.

I think calling the traits awesome is a bit of a stretch, there is virtually no synergy there and everything needs to be built around to make it effective. take Predator's Cunning in your build. You chose it because it's the best worse choice from that tier and can only possibly heal/damage for 170/184 every 5 seconds, IF you are above 75% health or a double proc from Serpent Strike every 15s. Personally I would have taken Second Skin instead, but each to their own. Unstoppable Union is a good trait, agreed but it's the only choice in that line too. If the Fury and Quickness took effect before casting the beast skills for Live Fast, then it would be good too, but it doesn't. Fresh Reinforcement is pretty meh unless you are running Nature Magic as well for Fortifying Bond. The best part about Soulbeast is the +7/+5/+10% modifiers, the additional stats from melding, and a few of the melded pet skills. But, it's pretty frustrating for me at least that there can be a couple of good things and then have to pick the best worst trait because none of them are particularly beneficial while the rest is just never going to be used for the game modes I like to play Ranger.

I know this is about roaming, which is not something I care too much for, but Stances do have a niche in zerg play. What I've been finding with a lot of the elite specs is that there are particular aspects of each that are suited for different parts of the game. Just like with Soulbeast and their pets, you now have different pets that are far more viable when in Beastmode which allows you to more directly address the type content you want to play.

I think calling the traits awesome is a bit of a stretch, there is virtually no synergy there and everything needs to be built around to make it effective. take Predator's Cunning in your build. You chose it because it's the best worse choice from that tier and can only possibly heal/damage for 170/184 every 5 seconds, IF you are above 75% health or a double proc from Serpent Strike every 15s. Personally I would have taken Second Skin instead, but each to their own. Unstoppable Union is a good trait, agreed but it's the only choice in that line too. If the Fury and Quickness took effect before casting the beast skills for Live Fast, then it would be good too, but it doesn't. Fresh Reinforcement is pretty meh unless you are running Nature Magic as well for Fortifying Bond. The best part about Soulbeast is the +7/+5/+10% modifiers, the additional stats from melding, and a few of the melded pet skills. But, it's pretty frustrating for me at least that there can be a couple of good things and then have to pick the best worst trait because none of them are particularly beneficial while the rest is just never going to be used for the game modes I like to play Ranger.

Okay I'll agree with you on some of the traits actually. I'm so happy with the 17/23% damage boost and the unblockable trait that I really kind of ignored the negatives. Heres what I'll say on the negative side: 2nd and 3rd line of traits are far far worse than the first line which doesnt make much sense. And there needs to be some kind of condi removal trait, not 33% condi damage reduction. A cool trait would have been for your pet to take off some conditions from you when it comes back out, upon leaving beastmode. Leader of the pack needs to have a built in 20% stance cooldown reduction. Essence of speed is a joke and should be changed to a trait that makes stances remove 2 condis or give 5 might.

I appreciate that compliment. I do have experience with Vanilla and Druid as well and luckily for us power rangers all 3 of our options are extremely viable at the moment. The thing that puts soulbeast ahead of the other 2 builds, for both Group Roaming and Solo Roaming, is the unblockable attacks, and the amount of cleave we now have for downed players. Even without a bugged Rock Gazelle, the combination of soulbeast skills and perma poison makes it pretty hard to rez a downed player, making it much easier to get 1v2s and 1v3s. Druids can win 1vX because of heals and staff kiting. Soulbeasts can win it because of amazing burst combos and cleave. I would much prefer the Soulbeast option when choosing between those 2.

This.I agree that Soulbeast is a better choice for roaming, especially if you like/are good at kiting, however I think that since core Ranger and Druid are both great option aswell, it all depends on what playstyle you prefer. Druid has more survivabilty, Soulbeast has more damage and core Ranger is more a balance of the two (perma protection is so good!). As a solo wvw roamer I enjoy Druid since I came back to the game last year, core Ranger due to the last balance patch and now I'm having a blast with Soulbeast.I feel like I will never get bored of roaming since I can switch between the 3 options.I couldn't be more in love with a class in this game.

Gazelle damage and Unstoppable Union breakstun bugs need to be fixed asap tho. Both can ruin a good fight :/

ninjambo you are an amazing player i think all of us can agree in that. If you have twicht or alike please share it here so whomever liked it can follow you.

However i'd like you to realise you are not using actually the mechanics Soulbeast gives you, you could play the same easy (because good you are already) or even easier using Core Ranger or Druid.

As en example you wouldn't had such a hard time fighting scourges (and by extension any condi cheese) if you would be equipping Druid or core ranger with NM instead Soulbeast. You used just once Smoke Assault in all the video and the times you used Wordly Impact was to finish an already downed player. You didn't need the extra skills Soulbeast brought you because with the core utilities you managed very well.

That's the point we are trying to make: SoulBeast brings nothing to the table. It actually hinders you because it removes one traitline in exchange with Soulbeast's traits which are a complete mess. Even you discarded Second Skin in your build which most of us thought it was a good trait ( experience is proving otherwise thou ).

And that's why we are so disappointed and asking for a deep changes because right now if you brought PoF to play Soulbeast you wasted you money.

@ninjambo.3784 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@ninjambo.3784 said:

That’s a completely valid comparison. Players are dissecting, and judging, the entire new spec based on its merits. Those areas are beast skills, trait line, dagger and slot skills.

So when you say “People who have been saying Soulbeast is trash need to take a second look at it.”... You’re completely dismissing rational and factual arguments that dagger and slot skills are trash, despite you knowing those dagger and slot skills are “bad”. Some of the traits aren’t even good either.

Your argument isn’t even that strong because almost the entirety of your build is core ranger... sans 1 new pet, a couple beast skills and trait line... That build is not a full Soulbeast, and to dismiss valid player complaints, about the entire spec, seems petty... It’s also misleading to players gathering info, and paints the picture to the devs that Soulbeast is fine... when the entire spec is not.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@ninjambo.3784 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@ninjambo.3784 said:

That’s a completely valid comparison. Players are dissecting, and judging, the entire new spec based on its merits. Those areas are beast skills, trait line, dagger and slot skills.

So when you say “People who have been saying Soulbeast is trash need to take a second look at it.”... You’re completely dismissing rational and factual arguments that dagger and slot skills are trash, despite you knowing those dagger and slot skills are “bad”. Some of the traits aren’t even good either.

Your argument isn’t even that strong because almost the entirety of your build is core ranger... sans 1 new pet, a couple beast skills and trait line... That build is not a full Soulbeast, and to dismiss valid player complaints, about the entire spec, seems petty... It’s also misleading to players gathering info, and paints the picture to the devs that Soulbeast is fine... when the entire spec is not.

Harsh times in the forums for people showing soulbeast works for them. So I think you both are right, would that be a suitable outcome for you two?I wasn't under the impression OP was saying all of soulbeast was fine, he only showed us a way soulbeast worked for him (which I think all of the players should look for in the specilisations).It's like a condi druid playing sb - a/t and saying it's great. Doesn't mean he likes staff and all the traits, or there aren't things that can be improved or are bugged, right?To be honest Swagger I think it's nice to see a good soulbeast player enjoying it and sharing it. Pretty welcome amongst all the things that still need to be improved, which you are probably right about. I think Anet can't miss those when they read the forums, what do you think? :)

@Bast Bow.2958 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@ninjambo.3784 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:

@ninjambo.3784 said:

Harsh times in the forums for people showing soulbeast works for them. So I think you both are right, would that be a suitable outcome for you two?I wasn't under the impression OP was saying all of soulbeast was fine, he only showed us a way soulbeast worked for him (which I think all of the players should look for in the specilisations).It's like a condi druid playing sb - a/t and saying it's great. Doesn't mean he likes staff and all the traits, or there aren't things that can be improved or are bugged, right?To be honest Swagger I think it's nice to see a good soulbeast player enjoying it and sharing it. Pretty welcome amongst all the things that still need to be improved, which you are probably right about. I think Anet can't miss those when they read the forums, what do you think? :)

There is a complete difference with saying something like... “hey, look at the roaming vid with some Soulbeast elements to the build”... as opposed to what the op opened with... which was... “People who have been saying Soulbeast is trash need to take a second look at it”... and posts a core ranger set up basically... It’s dismissive and misleading, and not an indication of the total Soulbeast package... which is the valid gripe from players.

Soulbeast in its entirety is trash. Sure, some Soulbeast elements make core ranger better... but that’s not the point.

Archived