[Suggestion] Heart Of Thorns Inspired Map Idea: Lion's Strait

Most information is provided in the linked documentation.Image shown is a scaled down preview.

24/10/19: NEWEST VERSION ON REDDIT.

UNCOMPRESSED DOCUMENTATION: https://i.imgur.com/IVbd7kr.png

Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. Please read entire documentation before commenting.

I may have missed, or poorly worded some details, feel free to question me on any discrepancies.Noted Discrepancies:

PREVIEW:IVbd7krh.png

Music to listen to while reading:

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:This would make a very nice guild hall~

I'm a bit confused. The map is similar in scale to Lornar's Pass, and is mostly water. Do you mean the North Island specifically?

No I mean the whole thing, Our guild halls here are very small compared to guild wars 1. They should be a full sized zone, which then could allow the whole guild battle mode to be added in because the size of the map could hold objectives in such a point. It also could add a whole bunch more upgrades based around the type of guild hall it is. This one could come with a lighthouse, Trade ships and so on that could be used to work alongside a alliance system (Not to be confused with the WvW alliances) But more guilds can align themselves together outside of merely WvW and have resources coming in. This guild hall could offer say, tropical goods while one from the shiver-peaks could offer furs and such.

guilds should be 100% more of a focus and more of an interesting portion of the game, considering they were in the original and the name of the game is "Guild wars 2" which is kind of misleading considering guilds mean absolutely nothing in this game. (This might also offer "Guild pride" which was a big thing in guild wars 1)

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:No I mean the whole thing, Our guild halls here are very small compared to guild wars 1. They should be a full sized zone, which then could allow the whole guild battle mode to be added in because the size of the map could hold objectives in such a point. It also could add a whole bunch more upgrades based around the type of guild hall it is. This one could come with a lighthouse, Trade ships and so on that could be used to work alongside a alliance system (Not to be confused with the WvW alliances) But more guilds can align themselves together outside of merely WvW and have resources coming in. This guild hall could offer say, tropical goods while one from the shiver-peaks could offer furs and such.

guilds should be 100% more of a focus and more of an interesting portion of the game, considering they were in the original and the name of the game is "Guild wars 2" which is kind of misleading considering guilds mean absolutely nothing in this game. (This might also offer "Guild pride" which was a big thing in guild wars 1)

Ah I see. A GuildVsGuild Naval warfare map would be quite cool. Sort of like the Safehouse in Payday 2, where it can be contested by Police, but instead of Police it's another Guild, and there is rewards tied to defending a friendly Guild Hall or capturing an enemy Guild Hall.

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:No I mean the whole thing, Our guild halls here are very small compared to guild wars 1. They should be a full sized zone, which then could allow the whole guild battle mode to be added in because the size of the map could hold objectives in such a point. It also could add a whole bunch more upgrades based around the type of guild hall it is. This one could come with a lighthouse, Trade ships and so on that could be used to work alongside a alliance system (Not to be confused with the WvW alliances) But more guilds can align themselves together outside of merely WvW and have resources coming in. This guild hall could offer say, tropical goods while one from the shiver-peaks could offer furs and such.

Ah I see. A GuildVsGuild Naval warfare map would be quite cool. Sort of like the Safehouse in Payday 2, where it can be contested by Police, but instead of Police it's another Guild, and there is rewards tied to defending a friendly Guild Hall or capturing an enemy Guild Hall.

Yes it would be so cool, Of course capturing wouldn't make it so people couldn't go into their guild hall. But the rewards could be cosmetics based around the theme of the guild hall (In this case pirate theme) so could be cool. I love the idea and I think it would be good for the game, plus I imagine it would be a beautiful tropical island with tons of things to explore as well as unlock.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:Yes it would be so cool, Of course capturing wouldn't make it so people couldn't go into their guild hall. But the rewards could be cosmetics based around the theme of the guild hall (In this case pirate theme) so could be cool. I love the idea and I think it would be good for the game, plus I imagine it would be a beautiful tropical island with tons of things to explore as well as unlock.

They could make it so loosing maybe makes the sky go cloudy, and makes the overall theme of the map change a little, like loosing makes a thunder storm, and players start seeing the undead sailing the seas, that or have that as an option "style" for the map to unlock.

But yeah, I can see that bringing a lot of traction back to Guild content and maybe even bringing Guilds closer together.

I've been asking for Claw Island and the surrounding islands to become an open map for years. There are to many areas in the game that languish as only story instance areas. Claw Island deserves to be a real map. I suggested having pirate attacks at night and a wrecked Inquest ship during the day releasing weaponized karka and pocket raptors on Claw Island and surrounding islands. They could release it as a current event map.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I've been asking for Claw Island and the surrounding islands to become an open map for years. There are to many areas in the game that languish as only story instance areas. Claw Island deserves to be a real map. I suggested having pirate attacks at night and a wrecked Inquest ship during the day releasing weaponized karka and pocket raptors on Claw Island and surrounding islands. They could release it as a current event map.

My only concern is that Claw island is quite tight for space. Reason I suggest a new island is because that would give ArenaNET devs more freedom to work, without having to worry about encroaching on other map boundaries.

I do have to agree though, that I would love for Claw Island to become a freely accessible map. Your suggestion of having it attacked could work, and would be lore appropriate to the function of Claw Island. Just there wouldn't be much room for moving ships, which is part of the spectacle of the suggested map.

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I've been asking for Claw Island and the surrounding islands to become an open map for years. There are to many areas in the game that languish as only story instance areas. Claw Island deserves to be a real map. I suggested having pirate attacks at night and a wrecked Inquest ship during the day releasing weaponized karka and pocket raptors on Claw Island and surrounding islands. They could release it as a current event map.

My only concern is that Claw island is quite tight for space. Reason I suggest a new island is because that would give ArenaNET devs more freedom to work, without having to worry about encroaching on other map boundaries.

I do have to agree though, that I would love for Claw Island to become a freely accessible map. Your suggestion of having it attacked could work, and would be lore appropriate to the function of Claw Island. Just there wouldn't be much room for moving ships, which is part of the spectacle of the suggested map.

There is plenty of room for an archipelago of islands dotted on the east side of Sea of Sorrows near Claw Island in that mostly undefined block north of Southsun Cove. The west side is the Tengu and as well as the area between LA and Kessex Hills.

I think what would be an interesting related plot is where there is some rising conflicts with the Tengu and pirates/Inquest along with the Tengu feeling uncomfortable being so closed in between LA and other human areas so they decide to migrate to an area west of the Heart of Maguuma leaving their former areas open for humans to take over. Them leaving could create a power vacuum where pirates and Inquest try to take over the former Tengu areas.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:There is plenty of room for an archipelago of islands dotted on the east side of Sea of Sorrows near Claw Island in that mostly undefined block north of Southsun Cove. The west side is the Tengu and as well as the area between LA and Kessex Hills.

I think what would be an interesting related plot is where there is some rising conflicts with the Tengu and pirates/Inquest along with the Tengu feeling uncomfortable being so closed in between LA and other human areas so they decide to migrate to an area west of the Heart of Maguuma leaving their former areas open for humans to take over. Them leaving could create a power vacuum where pirates and Inquest try to take over the former Tengu areas.

My concern is that wouldn't leave much room for the actual city of Dominion of the Winds, as it is supposedly on the archipelago, but I do have to say I like your story suggestion with the power vacuum caused by the Tengu's departure.

@hugo.4705 said:I like the efforts you put in it. I'm always fan of pirates of caribean/corsairs inspired map. The map looks net and some of the metas intrigue me in a good way. :+1:

Cheers. The feedback I'm getting here and on Reddit should hopefully allow me to formulate a much improved iteration of this map, which in turn hopefully catches ArenaNET's attention. Given enough discussion we could have a really compelling map to present to the devs.

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:There is plenty of room for an archipelago of islands dotted on the east side of Sea of Sorrows near Claw Island in that mostly undefined block north of Southsun Cove. The west side is the Tengu and as well as the area between LA and Kessex Hills.

My concern is that wouldn't leave much room for the actual city of Dominion of the Winds, as it is supposedly on the archipelago, but I do have to say I like your story suggestion with the power vacuum caused by the Tengu's departure.

That's why I said the east side of the Sea of Sorrows to avoid the Dominion of the Winds which probably should be it's own map.

The nice thing about a migration of such a private race is that the devs would only have to depict the general story, their construction and their departure on donated airships. Most of the details of their culture could be skipped as it wouldn't be relevant to their departure simplifying the development of the story. The story elements not told is sometimes better than what is told.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:About ship moving being dificult, actually ins't, Anet implemented moving boats on 4winds festival map, and in Dragonfall, we had a moving Pact Airship in the Air. So they had the tech to implement moving ships.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/bqhljk/how_to_board_that_airship_with_style/

I did mention this in the document.

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:About ship moving being dificult,
actually ins't
, Anet implemented moving boats on 4winds festival map, and in Dragonfall, we had a moving Pact Airship in the Air. So they had the tech to implement moving ships.

I did mention this in the document.

Sry i misread.