Mad Kings Clock Tower, Last jump and ping

Not sure if anyone else gets this but i have had problems with it in the past and it is the last jump in the Mad Kings Clock Tower JP, I have completed it tens of times over the years and completed it on my second run this year however on todays attempts i have been struggling to jump at the right time even though my character is hitting the shattered opening directly and all i can put it down to is my ping which is around 200-300.

Is it likely my ping and if it is should they increase the detection area more to allow for high ping?

This is an issue with almost every instanced area, but happens frequently in Jumping Puzzle instances like the Mad King's Tower or Winter Wonderland. Inside those zones, everything works according to fixed time-table. Sometimes the zones appear laggy. Normally you already notice early that something not works as it should, either seeing a broken animation that would be more fluently normally, or hearing some sound-effects which appear out of context to what is going on.

If the instance is laggy for you, the visuals force themselves to be 100 % according to schedule, BUT the mechanics are delayed. Usually the visuals are also delayed at the beginning, that is why some platforms just interrupt the animation and instantly spawn. Mechanics include enabled platforms, hostile objects (the snowball in Winter Wonderland) and enemy projectiles (the skritt fire in Winter Wonderland). In the Mad King's Clock Tower, the platforms you jump on usually spawn a tick later than you see them. Most people are "slow" enough, to almost never notice such a delay. But speed-runners experience this issue more frequently.

There are two options to fix this:1.) Re-Enter the instance - until you reach one that not laggs for you.2.) Memorize the delay. As explained above, you can easily notice how long the delay is, as either animations appear broken or the sound-effects do not match your visuals. So you can guess the length of the delay. In most cases is is just one tick. You can then just wait that time at the start. The green fog should be also delayed (mechanic, not visual). When you are on top of the tower and know that you are in a delayed instance, imagine the "window" next to the original one (see picture).

Note: While I wrote this, I wanted to take a screenshot from the Clocktower and happened to enter a delayed instance myself. Was able to test it again, still works that way.

Q8pBIJl.jpg

Good luck!

• Like 1

@Sindariel.2354 said:This happens since last year

For me, it stopped happening two years ago.

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:One thing I noticed... Gotta jump on the left side of broken clock tower... Broken Right side will fail the jp...

I can't confirm that from my own experience. On the contrary, I always jump as soon as the stairs turn around the corner.

When someone is having ping issues, shouldn't they jump rather sooner than later? 200-300 is really high, though. I have no good advice for that.