ToT bag nerf

Ghetx.1752

@"Black Frog.9274" said:I've been wondering this myself. Various guides and comments from players all say max your MF to get best number of bags per hour. But how can MF affect that?

To quote the wiki - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find:

A Q&A session with Isiah Cartwright revealed the way Magic Find works: "Everytime you kill a monster you roll on a number of tables, inside these tables are different rarity categories. Magic find increases the chances you will get higher categories. For example if there is a 1 in 10 category, and you have 200% magic find you will have 3/10 chances to get that category. This improves not just the rarity of the items you get but can also improve your chances at getting trophies and rare crafting materials like lodestones."

According to player research: "It apparently takes 1000% Magic Find to double your chances of receiving a higher tier item. Not 100% as may be expected and implied by prior quotes on the subject. It also implies that at 1000% you should stop getting junk as drops."

I feel it's safe to assume that a high magic find will convert some of your junk trophy drops to Trick or Treat bags. If this occurs even as low as once every twenty or thirty mobs it will provide a noticeable difference in the number of ToT bags you acquire when farming Labyrinth for long periods of time.

I can't speak to OP's number of "650-700 bags per hour" but I usually average around 500 bags per hour while doing a relaxed farm and opening all doors including bosses. 650-700 seems like a really high estimate in my opinion, I can't say I've ever earned that many bags per hour over the years of running Lab farms, but it's possible that others have different experiences than I do and use different Lab zerg strategies.

Magic Find does not affect Trick-or-Treat bags nor the rate at which they drop. There's nothing about Magic Find that affects rate of loot drops, only the quality.

Some items, like Essence of Luck, give a magic find bonus. This attribute increases the chance for every character on your account to find high-quality loot on defeated foes.

Magic Find

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Magic Find does not affect Trick-or-Treat bags nor the rate at which they drop. There's nothing about Magic Find that affects rate of loot drops, only the quality.

Some items, like Essence of Luck, give a magic find bonus. This attribute increases the chance for every character on your account to find high-quality loot on defeated foes.

Magic Find

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find

Exactly. Like tot bags.

It's a popular pastime on these forums to respond to every OP that contains the words 'magic find' with 'magic find doesn't affect that', and with good reason given the mind boggling array of outcomes posters seem to believe magic find affects . . .

But this is the exception. Assuming the OP is getting bags from killing mobs in the lab, body loot is one of the very few remaining things that magic find does still affect so you should expect to see more bags and less junk from higher mf. The only reason you wouldn't expect to see that is if the bags were classified as junk on the mob loot table, which wouldn't make a lot of sense since it's the loot players are for the most part hoping for when they farm the lab . . .

That still doesn't mean it works that way ofc. You'd have to run tests, which I'm sure someone has. But it is the way anet has told us it works . . .

I managed to get 1 very rare drop opening them. Even though it was just a Touch of Madness (which should be in the Rare table) and not anything of real value. The problem is that it took about 5000 bags.

-

Magic find effects what drops from mobs and events. It doesn't effect opening bags anymore.

MF can effect the amount of Loot bags that do drop.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I managed to get 1 very rare drop opening them. Even though it was just a Touch of Madness (which should be in the Rare table) and not anything of real value. The problem is that it took about 5000 bags.

-

Magic find effects what drops from mobs and events. It doesn't effect opening bags anymore.

MF can effect the amount of Loot bags that do drop.

You're right there, magic find doesn't affect the results of opening the bags themselves, but I don't think anyone in this thread was debating that point. I can't speak for anyone else here, but my comment was about the rate at which trick or treat bags drop from enemies in the Mad King's Labyrinth. Higher magic find should yield more bags per hour when farming Labyrinth than low magic find. To clarify though, MF only plays a role when _killing _enemies; as far as I'm aware it doesn't affect loot acquired from chests (like the Glorious Chests that spawn after the Lab bosses) or guaranteed drops (like the Lucky Candy Bag that drops from every Lab boss).

Further, to my knowledge magic find has never affected the loot you get from opening trick or treat bags in the past either, but I could be wrong. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me!

@drunkenpilot.9837 said:

@"Black Frog.9274" said:I've been wondering this myself. Various guides and comments from players all say max your MF to get best number of bags per hour. But how can MF affect that?

To quote the wiki -
:

A Q&A session with Isiah Cartwright revealed the way Magic Find works: "Everytime you kill a monster you roll on a number of tables, inside these tables are different rarity categories. Magic find increases the chances you will get higher categories. For example if there is a 1 in 10 category, and you have 200% magic find you will have 3/10 chances to get that category. This improves not just the rarity of the items you get but can also improve your chances at getting trophies and rare crafting materials like lodestones."

According to player research: "It apparently takes 1000% Magic Find to double your chances of receiving a higher tier item. Not 100% as may be expected and implied by prior quotes on the subject. It also implies that at 1000% you should stop getting junk as drops."

I feel it's safe to assume that a high magic find will convert some of your junk trophy drops to Trick or Treat bags. If this occurs even as low as once every twenty or thirty mobs it will provide a noticeable difference in the number of ToT bags you acquire when farming Labyrinth for long periods of time.

I can't speak to OP's number of "650-700 bags per hour" but I usually average around 500 bags per hour while doing a relaxed farm and opening all doors including bosses. 650-700 seems like a really high estimate in my opinion, I can't say I've ever earned that many bags per hour over the years of running Lab farms, but it's possible that others have different experiences than I do and use different Lab zerg strategies.

There are multiple videos on youtube,where people show how many bags they farm per hour,i don't see the point of modifying videos to look like you got 700 bags instead of 500.You can see for yourself,once they started doing run,they had 0,after full hour of farming,they have 650+700 bags in their bags.There's even some video with 900 bags per hour.

Magic find affects bags in a MASSIVE way.If you try and farm with 100 magic find,you won't even be able to get 300 bags in one hour.Now try using BLC boost,foods,banner,guild buff and race buff and see results for yourself.It wont be 900 bags for sure,but its gonna be much more than 300

Btw,It is possible to get 700 without playing a thief (or better it WAS possible)

Point of this topic is not debate.It was simple question if anyone else noticed lower drop rates.

There are people who farm lab 10 hours a day,and they all insist max magic find one can get in order to get max bags per hour.Its not like lab just got released for the first time,and people trying to figure out things.People know stuff,especially those who farm things for 10 hours straight.

@Ghetx.1752 said:I cant be the only one who noticed MUCH MUCH lower drop rates.

At 430 magic find,for past 3 days there's no way in hell i can get 650-700 bags a hour,compared to first few days after Halloween release.

Anet,you could at least say something,rather than stealth nerf.

430 MF is rather low. You should aim for 600 MF to get close to 600-700 bags per hour. Use a full set of stackable MF buffs: Banners, guild boost, community bonfire, fireworks, food, utility, item booster, celebratory booster, etc. It is also important to maintain your MF at all times.

@Leablo.2651 said:

@"Xeno.1298" said:Are you doing any other content? If not, perhaps it's the effect of diminishing returns.

Since the thread seems to have been derailed by red herrings, I will just quote the answer that was already posted.

Diminishing Returns was removed from the Labyrinth a number of years ago. Arenanet comment here for confirmation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/770bol/diminishing_returns_in_mad_kings_lab/

@Ghetx.1752 said:Point of this topic is not debate.It was simple question if anyone else noticed lower drop rates.

There are people who farm lab 10 hours a day,and they all insist max magic find one can get in order to get max bags per hour.Its not like lab just got released for the first time,and people trying to figure out things.People know stuff,especially those who farm things for 10 hours straight.

Then to answer your question: No, I have not noticed lower drop rates. I have farmed the Labyrinth for at least 4 hours each day over the last week or so, and the last two nights I spent around 6 hours in there each night farming. I also max my MF out when farming there and it usually sits between 500 and 600%. I average ~500 bags per hour.