Given a free choice, would you/your guild select a HOST server or a LINK server?

Yuffi.2430

Most of all i'd prefer a server that is always a link or always a host server, anyway....

I think if i liked doing big zerging stuffs, i'd prefer a host server.

But i don't really do that except for emergency participation or if something's happening at a castle and i need the achievement ticks. So, which doesn't really matter to me, but I do enjoy seeing the cultures of other servers that u get in a link.

Brought to you by the same players that voted for linking:

Some decisions should never be entrusted to players2016-10-29https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/NA-World-Linking-28-October/page/2#post6383421

Pandora's Box Opened with World Linking2016-06-11https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-6-June-World-Linking-Schedule-CLOSED/page/5

Understanding ANet's Future for WvW2016-05-28https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/World-Linking-Beta/page/8#post6177416

History just keeps repeating itself because we only pick what we want to see & hear.

I'm no exception...

How to address - Server Stacking - Play with Any Friend or Family - Deal with Night Capping2019.10.05https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89449/wvg-world-vs-globes/p1

Server Linking...if you haven't learned yet...decimated & continues to destroy Guest Server communities that previously was allowed to exist for years before the Voted for Change.

Guest Server Communities have collapsed & only the most strongest identity based Guilds & Roamers populate Guest Servers.

Players really should learn to pay gems themselves & move to a higher ranked server...instead of depending on ANet to do it for them...then complain that the link they got sucks...then ask for the links to be changed even faster.

We lose our hardcore long-term WvW Communities in exchange for the convenience of Server Linking that may or may not give you what you want.

We might as well play Defeat Tequatl the Sunless (WvW version).

WvW is a shell of it's former self...because there's no real meaning behind WHY Host & Guest servers fight each other.

Yours truly,Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

Link server, when you go to a host server and it isn't very good you're basically stuck with it and linking in a few different players every now and then isn't going to change that. But by going to a link server you get to change host servers periodically without cost.

But bad links last way too long in this game, just like bad matchups. They should be every week and every day, respectively.

Host, TC since beta, no reason to leave, despite how things are going.Problem is the infrastructure can't handle the game the way it should have been made.3 way fights, no tiers, no score, much, much bigger map (and only 1), etc, etc. They designed the game to be like DAoC (for wvw), including the pve champs, but the maps are just too small. The champs don't give real rewards that would make pve folks go outside. The tiers thin out the population. Far too much siege, it should just be oil and rams. Dark Age gave tons of reason to be out in competitive areas, and hunting players and siege fights were fun. Even supply for upgrading and building siege is just a miss. Siege should be built by crafting them, and a limit placed on what you can carry. This is what happens when you see a good idea, and try and modify it to make it "yours". Anet did, and while it's playable, left far too many things in an awkward state.

@"Ubi.4136" said:Host, TC since beta, no reason to leave, despite how things are going.Problem is the infrastructure can't handle the game the way it should have been made.3 way fights, no tiers, no score, much, much bigger map (and only 1), etc, etc. They designed the game to be like DAoC (for wvw), including the pve champs, but the maps are just too small. The champs don't give real rewards that would make pve folks go outside. The tiers thin out the population. Far too much siege, it should just be oil and rams. Dark Age gave tons of reason to be out in competitive areas, and hunting players and siege fights were fun. Even supply for upgrading and building siege is just a miss. Siege should be built by crafting them, and a limit placed on what you can carry. This is what happens when you see a good idea, and try and modify it to make it "yours". Anet did, and while it's playable, left far too many things in an awkward state.

These reasons are pretty much why I don't consider GW2 a true RvR game, WvW is a poor attempt to recreate RvR with limited resources. Especially damaging is the fact that players can't even take paper forts without siege, forcing them into roaming or playing "ping pong the camp for supplies" because apparently being this game's equivalent of a resource line worker was ArenaNet's vision for epic warfare.

That said, many improvements could still be made. As I've suggested before, they could merge all the tiers together, and just have three sides, make the borderlands all unique instead of two ABLs and present them as true "expansions" of EBG into the relevant realms/kingdoms (red desert, green jungle and blue alpine), and then put EoTM into the rotation as a proper overflow map from EBG, with gliding, mounts and PIPs, which would alleviate players' issues with the map currently (hard to navigate, no rewards, etc.).

One suggestion that I also made in the past was an ultimate reward system where if you manage to hold enemy keeps for a certain amount of time you could enter their portals and travel to a devestated (non-PvE) Lion's Arch in their version of Tyria, for the final battle.

But that'd require a whole Living World episode worth of resources, which they wouldn't want to spend on WvW.

Thanks for the comments. Perhaps I should not be surprised that few players cared enough to respond, and of these even fewer have a preference.I suspect this reflects the state of the game at the moment - we're mostly putting up with what we have while waiting to see what Alliances will bring.