Infinite gathering tools

I am thinking of buying infinite gathering tools. I don't know which ones (ordinary unbreakable or some special with bang) but I am already wandering how exactly that would work.Do they work per character or per account? Do I have to manually change them from one character to another?Can I put them in shared inventory slots? If so, can I use them from there, without having to manually put them into or out of character's slots?

I bought the Unbreakable and worth every penny. They're per account. Just remember to put them into the shared inventory anytime you switch characters. That becomes second nature before you know it. You'll want to unlock your shared inventory to at least three slots though or you'll be bouncing back and forth. Also, you will have to equip them to each character upon removing them from the shared inventory in order to use them. It's nothing more than convenience for me to have these tools, so it was certainly worth it.

The work like normal gathering tools they just have unlimited number of "charges/uses" and never should produce ruined logs/ore/plant fibers which you would get for using a tool of to low quality (e.g. when copper pickaxe for iron ore).The ordinary just differ from the special ones in regard that they have no special animation/unlock no skin AND that they come without any glyphs.You could always use the skin of the normal tools (or other special ones IF you have the skin unlocked) on the special ones if you e.g. just want them for the glyph but don't like the animation.

That means which ones two buy should take two things into consideration.If you buy it for the skin do you like the/care about the glyph that comes with it.If you buy it for the glyph ... well you still could transmute their look back to normal ones if you don't like the look.

How good the glyphs are depend mainly on personal taste in my opinion, though I'm sure some would disagree with me on this.

Back to your questions, they work per character and you would need to move them between characters, and no they can not be used directly from shared inventory places without equipping them on the character.

They are exactly like normal gathering tools, except they never run out. So you're only buying 1 of each tool and can only have it equipped on 1 character at a time, and it must be equipped to use it. You can put them into shared inventory slots but cannot use them from there, you have to equip them to use them.

If you've got 3 shared slots to put the gathering tools in then it's easy to get into the habit of equipping them when you play a character and unequipping them when you're done. It's a bit of hassle but not as much as trying to make sure everyone has their own tools, plus spares for when they run out and having to find a merchant if you run out completely.

If you don't have shared slots then the other option I know of (there may well be more) is to assign the tools to the character you use most and continue using regular tools on all the others. I did that for a long time, both because shared inventory slots didn't exist and because I'd managed to acquire literally hundreds of top tier gathering tools (mainly from Frostbitten toolboxes, when they were in Wintersday gifts) and didn't want to throw them away. It was a bit of an adjustment going from doing that to sharing the tools, but I got used to it fairly quickly.