Trouble understanding the large/small HITBOX concept

I see in the benchmarks that some classes make good dps in large hitboxes and others are better in small, but what does mean the hitbox?My personal idea is that a large hitbox may be like the wells of a necromancer, or the storms of elementalists that have a big area of damage and can hit multiple mobs, while small hitbox may be damaging a single target like a elite boss? I'm a wrong?

@frareanselm.1925 said:I see in the benchmarks that some classes make good dps in large hitboxes and others are better in small, but what does mean the hitbox?My personal idea is that a large hitbox may be like the wells of a necromancer, or the storms of elementalists that have a big area of damage and can hit multiple mobs, while small hitbox may be damaging a single target like a elite boss? I'm a wrong?

Ayrilana linked the wiki. A simplifying example, Ele Meteor Shower skill. The skill has a large AOE where meteors hit randomly. If you are The larger the hit box, the more area the enemy covers, the more likely they are to be hit by a meteor. The less, the less. As a result, the larger the hitbox the more damage the boss typically takes, from builds with AOE attacks that does variable damage in an area.