In memory of Trahearne - [Merged]

He's like: "I'm gonna help, Commander!" < has a DPS of -0.000.11> ... < does 1 damage>... < the Commander ENDS it >

"Well done! "

I always had a bad habit of just rushing anything that tried to hurt Marshal Salad or my adorable freakin' Laranthir. And, well, I died a lot.

Also, poor Traehearne had the self-preservation instinct of a lemming, but I can't say too much about that because, well, I'm reckless. XD

Edit: His weaknesses made me want to protect him even more. XD

@"Batel.9206" said:...and I've never understood why people say he steals your spotlight. I never found any instance of that, even looking at the dialogue before they changed it way back in 2014 or somewhere around there. Am I just missing something, or...? (I will say that I dearly wish he'd been introduced into the story a little more naturally - and earlier on - if you're playing a non-sylvari race. Sylvari already know him when they meet again on Claw Island. Everybody else gets him unceremoniously dropped into their story like a rock into a still pond. That's probably where a lot of the resentment comes from...)

Most of it comes from the fact that, up until that point, the personal story has its entire focus on you doing something.

Level 10 arc is all about you making a name for yourself.

Level 20 arc is dealing with a problem related to you.

Level 30 arc is you joining up with an order.

Level 40 is random "Hey look it's Destiny's Edge"

Level 50 is you being a member of your order and discovering a Risen scout.

Level 60 is now about Trahearne's Wyld Hunt. Trahearne getting the legendary sword Saladbowl. Trahearne being given a vision from the Pale Tree about how he'll become a General and lead an attack into Orr. Trahearne being destined to cleanse the land of its corruption. Oh and you're there as well.

Level 70 is about being commanded by Trahearne to go fight in Orr (Of course, you get to have your input and can dictate where you'll be deployed, but it's still Trahearne ultimately making the decisions)

Level 80 is about Destiny's Edge beating Zhaitan. You're there as well, being the only one using the god damn cannons and doing all of the work. But nah, it's "The commander worked with Destiny's Edge to beat Zhaitan"

Basically, because there was literally 0 interaction with Trahearne in the personal story (Aside from in early sylvari quests) they had to shoehorn in an entire character's worth of development into a single arc, which makes a significant impact especially on someone's "Personal" story.

This, coupled with the terrible writing of the rest of the Orr campaign, where basically nothing of note happens to develop any characters (And Trahearne tags along on a couple of missions and is a dumb AI but is literally what the mission progress is linked to so if he bugs out you have to restart) and the huge disappointment that is the final confrontation with Zhaitan, ends up with people having a somewhat bitter taste after it all and pinning it down to Trahearne as his introduction marked the downturn of the writing.

@"Batel.9206" said:His own people think he's insane because of his "impossible" Wyld Hunt, which they dismiss, laugh at, and mock.

Really, where? I never noticed (perhaps because I was too busy ogling Trahearne?)... ehm...But he's got fans too, there's this one she-twig in Malyck story line who's all "squee squee" about him. That part is my main reason to replay said story line so often.

@anninke.7469 said:

@"Batel.9206" said:
His own people
think he's insane because of his "impossible" Wyld Hunt, which they dismiss, laugh at, and mock.

Really, where? I never noticed (perhaps because I was too busy ogling Trahearne?)... ehm...But he's got fans too, there's this one she-twig in Malyck story line who's all "squee squee" about him. That part is my main reason to replay said story line so often.

Heh, I just replayed that part, too. It always makes me laugh. :D

As for the first part - I could've sworn Caithe mentions that a lot of sylvari dismiss Trahearne's Wyld Hunt, but it seems I was wrong: it's not Caithe, it's Amaranda the Lonesome, in A Different Dream. "It's good to see Trahearne once more. He so rarely comes back to the Grove..." (PC asks if there's a reason Trahearne stays away) "Oh, yes. Most sylvari simply don't understand his Wyld Hunt in Orr. "Impossible" is a kind word. "Laughable" is more common..."

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:The other issue is the timing, they introduce him right after the death of your mentor and he comes off as a poor replacement who wasn't as likable. Heck I still really miss Tybalt.

So do I. But I didn't see Trahearne as a replacement for Tybalt. Trahearne was another character, which the Commander who is more than capable of having multiple friends formed a bond with Trahearne. But the Commander didn't forget or stop missing Tybalt. I think Tybalt shows up in the Mordremoth fight, because well Mordremoth throws blighted versions of the Commander's loved ones at them.

As Sherrilyn Kenyon says

Quote by Sherrilyn Kenyon: “Cause hearts are amazing things. They get lots bigger to make room for new people to love alongside the old people you love. -Simi (book character dialogue)

@Batel.9206 said:

His own people
think he's insane because of his "impossible" Wyld Hunt, which they dismiss, laugh at, and mock.

Heh, I just replayed that part, too. It always makes me laugh. :D

As for the first part - I could've sworn Caithe mentions that a lot of sylvari dismiss Trahearne's Wyld Hunt, but it seems I was wrong: it's not Caithe, it's Amaranda the Lonesome, in
. "It's good to see Trahearne once more. He so rarely comes back to the Grove..." (PC asks if there's a reason Trahearne stays away) "Oh, yes. Most sylvari simply don't understand his Wyld Hunt in Orr. "Impossible" is a kind word. "Laughable" is more common..."

Thanks. Now I see it definitely is a case of me ignoring non-Trahearne NPCs when he's around. Shame on me :D

Well, plants can be kittens too, apparently.

@Katelynn.6593 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:The other issue is the timing, they introduce him right after the death of your mentor and he comes off as a poor replacement who wasn't as likable. Heck I still really miss Tybalt.

So do I. But I didn't see Trahearne as a replacement for Tybalt. Trahearne was another character, which the Commander who is more than capable of having multiple friends formed a bond with Trahearne. But the Commander didn't forget or stop missing Tybalt. I think Tybalt shows up in the Mordremoth fight, because well Mordremoth throws blighted versions of the Commander's loved ones at them.

As Sherrilyn Kenyon says

Quote by Sherrilyn Kenyon: “Cause hearts are amazing things. They get lots bigger to make room for new people to love alongside the old people you love. -Simi (book character dialogue)

Not what I mean, he shows up out of nowhere and ends up taking the lead right after the death of the player's mentor and it ends up feeling like a forced replacement. It's even worse if you aren't a Sylvari player.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:

As Sherrilyn Kenyon says

Not what I mean, he shows up out of nowhere and ends up taking the lead right after the death of the player's mentor and it ends up feeling like a forced replacement. It's even worse if you aren't a Sylvari player.

You said it felt like a forced replacement. My meaning was that to me it didn't feel like a forced replacement and I gave an explanation for why I felt that way. I'm not saying that you don't have a point. It can feel like a forced replacement depending on the way a player views it. I was just giving my alternative view.