Secondary weapon for Rifle?

Sifu.9745

Tried DE. Was bad. Didn't like it. I won't completely blame the spec since I just boosted the character and I'm in most Valk gear with runes of Thief. But... yeah... Damage was low, being immobile was terrible. I was alright sighing and starting to look at the other classes when a lightbulb came up.

Swapped rifle for P/P. I get to keep the boonshare which was the main attraction to me and I'm mobile again \o/

I think the rifle just doesn't work as a primary, or secondary weapon.

The wiki describes the thief as "Thieves are expert in the shadow arts. They utilize stealth and shadowstepping to surprise and to get close to their target. They're deadly in one-on-one combat using their agility, acrobatic fighting style, and the ability to steal to overcome their enemies."

I don't really like this description because it is rather generic. Here's mine: "Thieves are tricky, twitchy, and highly mobile. The nature of their initiative mechanic makes their damage bursty and frontloaded, which works well with their in-and-out style. Their limited access to raw defensive skills and low health means they must rely on dodging, evading, teleporting and stealthing to hope to survive, let alone thrive."

Let's compare that to what the rifle (and malice) has to offer.

Thieves are tricky: The rifle isn't all that tricky, except for Death's Retreat, which is pretty similar to Debilitating Arc (a skill that already exists). Everything else involves shooting bullets of varying quality at a target. Why?

...twitchy: The rifle is definitely not twitchy. None of the abilities are really reactive (think Headshot). Most of the time, you won't even be moving. Why?

...highly mobile: The rifle might be the least mobile weapon in the game, mostly because it roots you in place. Yes, a skill that roots you in place on the most mobile profession in the game. You also lose Steal, just for good measure. Why?

The nature of their initiative mechanic makes their damage bursty and frontloaded: The rifle does the exact opposite; malice's damage bonus builds up over time, and Death's Judgement, the big button, incites you to build vulnerability, fury, and might stacks from the 3 preceding skills. Fortunately, they are each on hotkey 1, 2, and 3, respectively, so you don't mess up your rotation. Why?

...which works well with their in-and-out style:Except you won't go in, nor out, because you can't anymore. Also, you're standing still. Why?

Their limited access to raw defensive skills and low health means they must rely on dodging, evading, teleporting: Deadeye loses the thief's main way of teleporting, Steal, and offers one only Death's Retreat for mobility. Too bad it can't be used while kneeling. Why?

...and stealthing to hope to survive, let alone thrive: Rifle literally has a skill that prevents you from stealthing. Yes, the profession that is about stealthing and using stealth attack prevents itself from stealthing. Why?

Archived