Mastery Point Scam

Rikimaru.7890

@"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:For what I know, in the policy of the game: To ask for money - even as a "tip" - for activities like porting up a JP, gathering nodes in home instance or equivalent is scam and can lead to be banned. I must say honestly that I have not know and heard first about it in old forum, when reading a thread about a player who had been banned for asking "tips" for gathering at his home instance. Following that, an answer has included all details to clarify the rule. Unfortunately, I can no more find it. Maybe someone know where to look for that?

The one I remember is that it’s not ok to advertise in the LFG to sell access to home instances (or to sell items).Policy on the LFG tool

But then they said selling dungeon paths was ok.

Gaile Gray.6029 saidPlayers may use the tool to sell a spot in a group

The punishment is an account infraction, not a ban.

but they may not use it to sell or trade items or for any other unintended purposes. Doing so will result in an account infraction.

So it appears it’s the grouping that’s the sticking point, not the selling.

Seka.5647 saidWhat about selling access to ones home instance for gathering resources? Namely I just spotted this new type of selling in lfg just about an hour ago : " Sell access crafting nodes (17) for 20 silver…..->" . Does it belong to the dungeon sort of selling section or is it abusing the lfg due to selling access to “items”?

Gaile Gray.6029 saidAdvertising an access portal is not allowed.Guild Recruitment is not allowed.Both are unrelated to forming a group and therefore are not part of the intended purpose of the Looking for Group Tool.

Definition of scam:a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

As far as I can tell, people are selling their spot close to a mastery point. As long as they are delivering on their promise and do not demand you pay them, that's not a scam.

I'm not debating the actual act of taking money for selling or offering locations to players but merely ask you TC to check your wording. Making scandalous claims only to get your point accross makes you more dishonest than the people you are enraged about.

I would happily help someone get the mastery points they can't get currently with an actual mesmer portal, for free.

However, if someone is grateful and happens to give me something for a reward I make sure they are sure they want to give it up and appreciate it.Same when people port for jumping puzzles, etc. I donate money, not because I have to because Mesmers are doing it for free, but because I am grateful and think they deserve a reward for the time they spent doing it.

@"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:For what I know, in the policy of the game: To ask for money - even as a "tip" - for activities like porting up a JP, gathering nodes in home instance or equivalent is scam and can lead to be banned. I must say honestly that I have not know and heard first about it in old forum, when reading a thread about a player who had been banned for asking "tips" for gathering at his home instance. Following that, an answer has included all details to clarify the rule. Unfortunately, I can no more find it. Maybe someone know where to look for that?

It's not a scam and it's not something you will get banned for. All the cases of bans and infractions in such a situation have always been for an additional offense. Usually:

1. Getting gold, but not keeping their part of the deal (which is what an actual scam is)
  2. Asking for RL cash (any ingame transactions involving real world money are strictly prohibited)
  3. Seller using bugs to do what they're being paid for (was sometimes the case with dungeon selling and using bugs for fast skipping to the last boss)
  4. Account sharing in order to get the item/achi/whatever.
  5. Using LFG to advertise the sale when the sale is not tied to a group-based activity (and thus doesn't qualify for using LFG tool)

The situation you remember was that last case, and it was the "using LFG" part that caused Anet's devs to intervene. Selling was not an issue.

Archived