Nvidia Resizable Bar

Hey all, I just upgraded my motherboard's bios to support my new 5800x and now my Asrock x470 has the resizable bar setting in the bios. Now before I flash my GPU's bios and enable resize bar in my motherboard's bios does GW2 have any issues with it enabled?  I'm reading some random posts online that DX9 games may have issues with it enabled, crashing, games not starting etc.

Thanks. 

I have the same GPU as yourself  RTX 3070, what motherboard do you have?  It might need a bios update to support it.  It should work with Windows 7 as well. Your harddrive needs to be GPT formated if it's not it's really easy to go from MBR to GPT that's what I did and changed CSM to disabled in order for it to boot. 

1 minute ago, Tony.8659 said:

I have the same GPU as yourself  RTX 3070, what motherboard do you have?  It might need a bios update to support it.  It should work with Windows 7 as well. Your harddrive needs to be GPT formated if it's not it's really easy to go from MBR to GPT that's what I did and changed CSM to disabled in order for it to boot. 

I have a Dell Precision 5820 workstation with a Dell 0X8DXD motherboard (Intel C422 chipset) and a Xeon W-2145 processor.

Can't speak for Nvidia, but AMDs implementation (they call it SAM) does not have any issues with GW2. SAM on AMD hardware is enabled in every game once you enable it in the BIOS.

Nvidia says they have a whitelist, which means it is disabled by default and only enabled in specific games that have been tested by Nvidia. 

6 hours ago, Flash.7465 said:

I have a gigabyte 3070 gaming oc with resizeable bar enabled, paired with a x570 aorus elite motherboard and a 3700x processor . I have no issues whatsoever, so I say go for it.

Yeah I'm thinking about it 😃I have the same card as you from EVGA, and x470 taichi, with a 5800x. I was reading it only gets enabled for games that support in the nvidia control panel and ignores games that do not support it. You can also toggle that on and off in unsupported games but I will not 😀

• 2 weeks later...

I build a new pc recently, an rtx 3070 , mobo is gigabyte x570 auros ultra and ryzen 9 5950x. Ever since i started playing gw2 on the pc, the fps was 100-170 in most areas, averaging about 100, with wvw zerg fights at 40-60, all settings maxed, except for renderer which i had kept at native. The problem was, i noticed gpu utlisation at 1-8% never higher while playing the game, enabling resize bar via bios update for both mobo and gpu and having the latest drivers have boosted gpu utlisation to 50-70% and increased average fps to 150+, which is great. The game runs smooth as ever and no hickups so far, i would say go for the resize bar upgrade. Also a side note i do run arcdps and dx12 addons, so i'm not sure how much impact they have.

7 hours ago, Snooter.6832 said:

I build a new pc recently, an rtx 3070 , mobo is gigabyte x570 auros ultra and ryzen 9 5950x. Ever since i started playing gw2 on the pc, the fps was 100-170 in most areas, averaging about 100, with wvw zerg fights at 40-60, all settings maxed, except for renderer which i had kept at native. The problem was, i noticed gpu utlisation at 1-8% never higher while playing the game, enabling resize bar via bios update for both mobo and gpu and having the latest drivers have boosted gpu utlisation to 50-70% and increased average fps to 150+, which is great. The game runs smooth as ever and no hickups so far, i would say go for the resize bar upgrade. Also a side note i do run arcdps and dx12 addons, so i'm not sure how much impact they have.

Resizeable bar offer close to 0% performance boost on average and very little in special cases. Sounds like you had a wonky driver install.

Hmm, just two things come to my mind about that

1. I didn't reinstall any drivers, only thing to enable resize bar for me was the bios flash on my Gpu, i merely stated the process for others, if they are going to get the resize bar option enabled on their rigs. So if the driver was wonky before, its a wonky one still.

2. My Cpu still averages 10-17% when i play the game, so it wasn't just my Gpu underperforming. As per Tomshardware they saw about 20% increase in fps, but Nvidia themselves have quoted 12% average improvement on selective games, GW2 isn't on the list last i checked, so not sure if there is any improvement from enabling resize bar or not. 

I would be very interested in seeing others who have this enabled on their systems and quoting numbers...for science!

On 5/23/2021 at 9:28 AM, Snooter.6832 said:

As per Tomshardware they saw about 20% increase in fps

No, they saw up to  a 20% increase, and then only in a certain application that specifically supports resizable BAR. You are not getting a massive performance increase in GW2 because of resizable BAR because GW2 doesn't even make use of it. 

I have a 3700x on an Aorus x570 Elite with an RTX 3080. In 4k GW2 hits ~50% GPU utilization, it's never enough to even really heat up my video card and overall utilization is low enough that it's not stressing hardware to a point where any significant impact would be seen by just a switch in frame buffer latency.

GW2 does work fine with resizable BAR enabled, but it isn't really using it anyway. No crashing or any other strange behavior to report with it.