Thank You For the Spoiler Email

I'd just like to thank Anet for emailing me a spoiler that even social media hadn't spoiled for me.  First thing I see when opening an email with no mention of spoilers, maybe hoping for a peek at some updates on the upcoming expansion, is a giant beautiful visual spoiler.

Great job.

I'm not fully up to date on the storyline, but it hasn't been very long since that last chapter hit.  Add to that the fact that the entire GW2 community managed to hold back on spoilers and even social media posts had spoiler tags.

Thanks Anet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm sitting here pondering how long is a reasonable amount of time that someone can realistically expect something to not be openly talked about or shared. Sure, there are spoiler tags and warnings that people can put up on posts etc, but how long should people consider something to be an actual spoiler?

If we were talking about a movie and it had released a week ago (like the last chapter did), I'd say the grace period for spoilers is well and truly gone. This isn't like a movie though as there's story to get through before you get to the current chapter.......then again, you could say the same about movies that are sequels, trilogies, etc.

With everything in mind, I'd probably have to stick to my movie release logic of "If someone cares enough about a movie to need to avoid spoilers, they should see it close to release" and apply it to this situation.

• Like 5

Considering that it's been a week since the episode came out and the ending has been foreshadowed for a year and made explicit two months ago, I'm not sure if what you're asking for is reasonable. If you're two months or more behind on content, it's unreasonable to expect no one to talk about it or for a company to show nothing from the newest release when they already waited a week to do so.

It sucks and I'm sorry you got spoiled on the end of IBS but there's only so much that can reasonably be done and anything past that point is on the individual to do, be it skip emails, stay off social media, turn off map chat, etc. Unless your email provider opens everything in full, "Join the Final Battle, [character name]" indicates it's about the finale thus may contain spoilers and you shouldn't open it until you finish the episode.

Also you talk about one of the images in the email being a spoiler while you also were looking for visuals from EoD which would count as a visual spoiler as well and there are some who want to go into the expansion completely blind. Where should the line be for what's a spoiler and what's advertising, and how can a company take into account everyone's varying ability to understand foreshadowing?

• Like 4

I didnt received email notification about Judgment. I checked my settings and it seems newsletter via email was disabled even though i was subscribed. I guess forums restart did this.

These notifications are sent periodically to let you know about news and updates.
  • Email

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

what spoiler email?

One has just gone out about the latest chapter (I got it about 3 hours ago).

The title is 'Join the final battle [character name]' and then there's a big picture of the two dragons and their champions, meaning it gives away who those champions are. (I suppose it also gives away that the two dragons are going to fight each other, but we've known that for years now, since Taimi realised they are each other's weaknesses during Season 3.)

If you're up to date on the story then I don't think it includes any spoilers, but I can see how it would be a problem for people who haven't gotten to that point. But I see that as a bit like complaining a trailer for Avengers End Game gives away what happened in Infinity War, or the back of a book mentioning things that happened in the previous book in the series, the advertising is aimed at people who have reached that point and I think the assumption is if you haven't and you want to avoid spoilers you'll chose not to look at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

With how GW2 does things, two weeks should be the minimum time to show what happens in the chapter.

I got an email and didn't see anything too spoilery at all. The splash art to promote this update has been known about for a couple months.

True.  It's on the front page of the Wiki, on the launcher, on the main website...

It's all over and has been. 

16 hours ago, Pacificterror.7805 said:

I'm sitting here pondering how long is a reasonable amount of time that someone can realistically expect something to not be openly talked about or shared. Sure, there are spoiler tags and warnings that people can put up on posts etc, but how long should people consider something to be an actual spoiler?

If we were talking about a movie and it had released a week ago (like the last chapter did), I'd say the grace period for spoilers is well and truly gone. This isn't like a movie though as there's story to get through before you get to the current chapter.......then again, you could say the same about movies that are sequels, trilogies, etc.

With everything in mind, I'd probably have to stick to my movie release logic of "If someone cares enough about a movie to need to avoid spoilers, they should see it close to release" and apply it to this situation.

I think a month is enough time.