Buffing or reworking Orbital Strike

Shroud.2307

This skill sucks.
Engi has an absolute heap of Blast Finishers, and with F5 being something only core can access, I feel it's important that it offers something valuable. Although it is unblockable, and has a pretty significant radius, the damage is extremely low and it doesn't do anything else. It'd be one thing if this skill did heavy damage or if it had some kind of effect that Engi doesn't have much access to, but with the cast time and how long it takes for the skill to actually apply its damage, it's just plain terrible.

I haven't thought up any interesting ways to totally rework the skill, but the idea I had for buffing it is as follows:
Remove the damage
Remove initial Blast Finisher
Strikes twice - first strike is a AOE knockback, second strike AOE stun 
First strike applies a Fire Field, second strike applies a Blast Finisher
Radius, recharge, cast time, range, Unblockable effect etc. etc. all stay the same

Anyone else have ideas for changes or reworks?

• Like 2

Core engi is only used for condi really so it could apply burning or some other condition damage plus soft CC. Having it apply burning (and blind or cripple/ bleeding?) would be thematic and also not make it as spikey as a power damage skill.

Ideally you would want something less "RNG" than relying on Shrapnel , Aim Assisted Rocket , or Incendiary Powder traits. Instead of the blast it could count as an explosion.

Edited by Infusion.7149

I would propose mixing the best of a large AoE like ele meteor shower and an engineer defining skill:

ORBITAL MOA BOMBARDMENT

1200 range AoE, launches 15 elite trained moas in heavy armor from an orbital station. Each landing damage 3 targets and then the armored moa will proceed to attack the closest target with built in suit flamethrower for 20s before it self destruct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2