The "Miss" on some ranged attacks

Why does it say "Miss" on some ranged attacks? Is there an RNG thing going on?

It's rather annoying playing rifle warrior and when I have full adrenaline to burst with F1 Kill Shot, I get a Miss. 

XiahouMao

To clarify the other answer, if the target dodges your attack with a dodge roll or evasion ability, you'll get an "Evaded!" pop-up. However, not all ranged attacks track their target. Some do, but others shoot at where the target is expected to be at the time they're fired, either at the spot they're standing if they're standing still or the spot they'd reach if they're moving in a straight line. The target changing its movement between firing the shot and the shot actually reaching them and connecting makes those non-homing attacks miss. Similarly, a wall or other obstruction being in the path of the attack will keep it from hitting.

Edited by Verdict is Vengence.6912
Got my answer from a reddit user

If it says "Miss" specifically then I expect that you were probably blinded or the enemy evaded your attack.
There's no RNG element to it, projectiles generally have 100% accuracy by default.

Unless something gets in their way "Obstructed" or an enemy is "Out of Range" or something interferes with them such as "block", "evade" or the blind condition then they should always hit their target.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Ya, miss is probably blind. 

Obstructed though--don't get me started on obstructed lol.  In PvE it isn't super noticeable but in WvW...*sigh*

Gotta love it when that god tier blade of grass gets in the way and absorbs your entire Rapid Fire eh 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

If it says "Miss" specifically then I expect that you were probably blinded or the enemy evaded your attack.
There's no RNG element to it, projectiles generally have 100% accuracy by default.

Unless something gets in their way "Obstructed" or an enemy is "Out of Range" or something interferes with them such as "block", "evade" or the blind condition then they should always hit their target.

This is incorrect; most projectiles in this game aren't "heat seeking", which means its possible to avoid the slower projectiles just by moving around. This isn't super common as many projectiles have a high speed (e.g Ranger LB), but there's some that can be evaded manually without dodging.

In addition to projectiles being blocked, evaded, reflected or affected by the "Blindness" condition, players and objects can also absorb projectiles without an "Obstructed" message, which only happens with terrain. Piercing projectiles can still pass through, though e.g many Shortbow skills.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Verdict is Vengence.6912 said:

Why does it say "Miss" on some ranged attacks? Is there an RNG thing going on?

It's rather annoying playing rifle warrior and when I have full adrenaline to burst with F1 Kill Shot, I get a Miss. 

You need to CC (Crowd Control) your opponent before attempting to use powerful skills.

1 minute ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

This is incorrect; most projectiles in this game aren't "heat seeking", which means its possible to avoid the slower projectiles just by moving around. This isn't super common as many projectiles have a high speed (e.g Ranger LB), but there's some that can be evaded manually without dodging.

In addition to projectiles being blocked, evaded, reflected, players and objects can also absorb projectiles without an "Obstructed" message, which only happens with terrain. Piercing projectiles can pass through, though.

Player projectiles? I can't name any that do not follow the target do you have any examples of that?

For certain AI enemy and mechanical projectiles sure there are a good few that follow a more restricted path rather than stick to a moving target but I don't think this is the case for player projectiles.
Off the top of my head anyway I can't think of any target locked player cast projectiles that can be avoided simply by moving out of their way.