What do you guys think about Torghast from WoW, would that kind of rougelike fit in GW2?

GW2 has this problem where some PVE people stay away from the game, cause there is no gear threadmill which is the best feature of the game for the people playing the game.Having this rougelike design might bring some variety gameplay, since most pve now is really really cookie cutter.

@"Nephalem.8921" said:You might need to explain what torghast is since not everyone is playing wow actively.Mostly it is roguelike mode for dungeons that are randomly generated where the players get special ability upgrades to skills or get new skills from drops or boxes, and you make builds that help you go higher in the levels of the dungeon till you die x times and you lose those special abilities and start from stage one. The point is to go as far as you can.Here are some links that go better in detail:https://wow.gamepedia.com/Torghast,_Tower_of_the_Damned

It's more or less straight up Deep Dungeons from FFXIV.

I personally disliked that content. I didn't even want to use it to level alt jobs. I had a friend who spent hundreds of hours on it nonstop until he reached #1 solo on the leaderboards for our data cluster though. So I guess some people like it.

i like the concept of randomised stuff, roguelike is my favourite genre of game afterall, but i don't know that i'd embrace the idea of gamemode specific upgrades...OP mentions gear treadmill, and i'd really hate it if gamemode specific upgrades translated into required upgrades to complete the fight. GW2's more active combat system does not translate well into a vertical upgrade system of better stats, even if it was just for one gamemode. I suppose upgrades could add special action key options...? Any more in depth expansion of what professions can currently do really deserves to be in the rest of the game.

Apart from that, i'd definitely enjoy such a gamemode. I would hope those who interact with it actually understand what a roguelike is though, and more so I would hope anet understands roguelikes too...randomness is fun, dying should be enjoyable, it is supposed to be a challenge, all of these things various rogues have had trouble grasping before, and i think that latter one is especially harsh on gw2 since afaik most of the playerbase doesn't interact with the harder content in the game.

They said in an interview that the layout is fixed. A roguelike has a randomly generated layout so there's always a renewed sense of exploration.And don't underestimate Blizzard ability to make the whole thing a terrible grind fest, they have until the expansion release to make it an horrible experience.Also, people may like it now, but after doing the same thing in the same order following the same path for the hundredth times, they may find it boring.So I hope Arena Net do not copy/paste it without understanding what makes roguelike interesting.

If they were to take notes on how to do it well, I would rather point them to a Digital Extremes game named Warframe.It's the base of the game and they improved the formula for years !

Randomly generated layout is what makes it "spicier". You can't know if you took the wrong turn (or the right for those who want to explore it all).With special rooms that contains miniboss. Random "theme" for the dungeon that would define the possible foes (and the ratio of each type) and which premade rooms pool would be used to build the layout.

I would love it. I assume it was the original intent behind fractals by the way. There could be a merge of both with special mandatory rooms featuring the minigames/bosses of the corresponding fractal. But I would be perfectly find if both remained separated as their own content.