SB and you

Ithilwen.1529

For the record. I have recently come from a match in which I 1v1'd an SB who seemed average-ish in skill level. (on the enemy home node ) I was able to beat her or him twice on core PU Mesmer after quite a bit of dancing about. ( I was mid-gold before PoF was released into PvP and I went unranked for the remainder of the season as damage control. )

That was a tough fight, but I won by not hitting into counters and kiting. The spec is strong but not OP. Against a Scourge at close range.. I'd have been lucky to last 10 seconds and that only if there burst was on cool down.

on 1v1 scenarios they are not as bad (i mean, they are hella strong, but not as OP), but honestly 1v1 is like 5% of spvp, on team fights where you cant just stop hitting (specially if you are focusing a different target) and hope 3 other people stop hitting for the FC duration (specially with the amount of Aoe pools/pulsing dmg) now, add another Sb to the equation and there's a nightmare.

Core PUwho seemed average-ish in skill levelon the enemy home node

These 3 things tell me that your opponent both didn't know what he was doing as a SB, and that the match overall skill was quite low.

No offense, but I can imagine he got considerably more points for his team than you in those encounters, given your build. His team was also AFK because beating a SB isn't something that can be done in a short amount of time (twice) and probably was a complete noob to die to a mesmer that wasn't even trying to contest the point.

@Razor.6392 said:

These 3 things tell me that your opponent both didn't know what he was doing as a SB, and that the match overall skill was quite low.

No offense, but I can imagine he got considerably more points for his team than you in those encounters, given your build. His team was also AFK because beating a SB isn't something that can be done in a short amount of time (twice) and probably was a complete noob to die to a mesmer that wasn't even trying to contest the point.

Of course I was contesting the point. In fact I kept it for much of that time. Our team of Scourge/Guard was zerging mid, intent on proving what great fighters they were.. I was at far because we were 100 points behind and there was an unwinnable fight at home.

As to the SB being a complete noob to lose to me.. well that's just a personal insult.

I have a winning record against SBs so far as retaliation guardian, with sword/shield and scepter/focus. But man it takes forever.

And it gets worse if you get a supporting ally, cuz it becomes impossible to avoid full counter with two people attacking. So I have to play more defensive in a 2v1..

Warrior can always be fought by kiting. The best warrior builds have moderate mobility and are limited to melee.

This is why Warrior is never as OP as people think. People who don't know how to kite come to the forums to complain about how they can't stand still while a melee class beats on them so that class must be broken. Either that or they are Guardian mains and believe they should always have a positive matchup against Warrior at all times because pally type classes always attract entitled people for some reason. Spellbreaker does need nerfs, but not the nerfs most people think it needs. Most of the nerfs should be directed at stances and the defense line being way too forgiving, not "Zomg Warrior does 2muchdamaj" because their DPS is actually not that great against a competent player. I can beat average warriors on power Shiro by simply kiting, evading, and hitting them with sword 3.

Now as for Revenant, pls buff renegade pls anet I gib u golds pls halp.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Razor.6392 said:

Of course I was contesting the point. In fact I kept it for much of that time. Our team of Scourge/Guard was zerging mid, intent on proving what great fighters they were.. I was at far because we were 100 points behind and there was an unwinnable fight at home.

As to the SB being a complete noob to lose to me.. well that's just a personal insult.

What's the benefit of running PU? Getting boons while on stealth. It takes 2 stealth applications to get a point decapped.

Kiting and evading inside a small node, when you're a power mesmer (from what I've read in a different thread)? Impressive... I guess? How long did the duels last? Having Chaos equipped means your dps suffers slightly, and being core means you lose access to a quite bit of extra damaging traits and utilities. It's hard for me to believe that you could keep a duel going, while avoiding going stealth, while avoiding stepping outside the point, while being at enemy's home, while the enemy team doesn't send a single person throughout the rather long duel to help the SB take you down.

I don't want to undermine your skill level even though it's almost a meme in this forum but, beating one SB doesn't mean they are fine...

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Razor.6392 said:

Not at all sure how you were able to not proc FC on a mesmer. You don't have direct control over your illusions, so all a spellbreaker has to do is use FC and take a hit from one of those, and it'll wipe out your illusions plus give all of the other benefits. I mean, I'll grant that PU power mes is better at handling spellbreaker than condi chrono, but it's still a fight that, skill levels being equal, the mesmer should lose (if only because the free FC procs should be wiping your illusions before you can get the shatter damage from them).

@Razor.6392 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Razor.6392 said:

What's the benefit of running PU? Getting boons while on stealth. It takes 2 stealth applications to get a point decapped.

Kiting and evading inside a small node, when you're a power mesmer (from what I've read in a different thread)? Impressive... I guess? How long did the duels last? Having Chaos equipped means your dps suffers slightly, and being core means you lose access to a quite bit of extra damaging traits and utilities. It's hard for me to believe that you could keep a duel going, while avoiding going stealth, while avoiding stepping outside the point, while being at enemy's home, while the enemy team doesn't send a single person throughout the rather long duel to help the SB take you down.

I don't want to undermine your skill level even though it's almost a meme in this forum but, beating one SB doesn't mean they are fine...

If my skill level or the lack thereof is a "meme" on this forum, ( and that's yet another personal attack, ) then, SB is clearly not OP if I can beat it. The match was essentially over, we were 2 capped and 100+ points behind with my teammates making no effort to rotate.

I killed the SB the first time and capped the point. After that, I didn't need to stay on it constantly to hold it. The match ended shortly after that second kill. There are things other than DPS that count. There are also builds other than metabattle shatter. For the record, the SB ate some of my scepter blocks. Confusing Images and phantasms did most of the rest of the work. They can attack at range, in case you'd forgotten.

It's OP, it just becomes even more obvious at higher levels. At Gold 3 and above you will get scrouge and Spellbreaker in every one of your matches, if not two of each.

I haven't played warrior before this season, made a spellbreaker and got to Plat for the first time on a 12 game win streak. It's ez, insane sustain, can hold points and 2v1's itself, decent mobility with greatsword, and has little to no downsides with insanely low CDs. The class has a very low skill floor and a low skill ceiling.

What can't it do again?

It sounds like, from reading comments here, that the best way to nerf sb right now is to make it so fc only hits the target that triggered it. so if a ranged attacker triggers fc, the melee fighter near the sb won't be harmed. Might be the case that this is the only nerf that's needed, at first.

@shippage.1983 said:It's OP, it just becomes even more obvious at higher levels. At Gold 3 and above you will get scrouge and Spellbreaker in every one of your matches, if not two of each.

I haven't played warrior before this season, made a spellbreaker and got to Plat for the first time on a 12 game win streak. It's ez, insane sustain, can hold points and 2v1's itself, decent mobility with greatsword, and has little to no downsides with insanely low CDs. The class has a very low skill floor and a low skill ceiling.

What can't it do again?

Survive 1v1 against a core Mesmer.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@shippage.1983 said:It's OP, it just becomes even more obvious at higher levels. At Gold 3 and above you will get scrouge and Spellbreaker in every one of your matches, if not two of each.

What can't it do again?

I'm not sure you can use a sample size of one to label an entire population of players who play spellbreaker. Even you should see the absurdity in making that claim. And I'm not trying to dispute your achievement, or the state of the game with regards to spellbreaker right now, but the method of delivery of your argument is substantially flawed.

@Kuya.6495 said:It sounds like, from reading comments here, that the best way to nerf sb right now is to make it so fc only hits the target that triggered it. so if a ranged attacker triggers fc, the melee fighter near the sb won't be harmed. Might be the case that this is the only nerf that's needed, at first.

This is the most impractical fix and will make Full Counter near useless in group fights.

@kKagari.6804 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

What can't it do again?

I'm not sure you can use a sample size of one to label an entire population of players who play spellbreaker. Even you should see the absurdity in making that claim. And I'm not trying to dispute your achievement, or the state of the game with regards to spellbreaker right now, but the method of delivery of your argument is substantially flawed.

Point taken. Logical argument doesn't normally prevail on this forum and I've fallen into bad habits.

Archived