Volatile Magic Harvesting Sickle not working — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Volatile Magic Harvesting Sickle not working

SlitheSlivier.1908SlitheSlivier.1908 Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2, 2020 in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Since today's patch the vol magic sickle doesn't grant volatile magic. The axe and pick do. I've harvested a dozen nodes in wvw testing it out.

A friend with it also had the same findings.
A friend with the UNBOUND magic tools said those were all working.

I have the same results in the guild hall too.

<1

Comments

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have the same issue. To be clear I'm using the volatile magic sickle bought for karma from the dragonfall vendor.

• I have the same issue - volatile harvesting tool doesn't grant VM.

I asked a guildie to replicate this but their vm sickle works just fine.

• @Nasty Qwerty.3482 said:
    I have the same issue - volatile harvesting tool doesn't grant VM.

I asked a guildie to replicate this but their vm sickle works just fine.

Maybe they don't have the one bought from dragonfall and instead use the upgrade components for it...i forget what they are called but essentially sigils/runes/infusion for gathering tools

• I have the same issue but with the Frostbitten sickle. Like the original poster indicated, the ax and mining pick work as expected. The salvaging sickle you can by at Armistice Bastion works. As mentioned here, this all happened after yesterday's update.

• To SlitheSlivier.1908 and others here, are you still having the same issue?

Thank you in advance!

• i have the same problem only the sickle doesnt work anywhere

• @benny.8296 said:
    To SlitheSlivier.1908 and others here, are you still having the same issue?

Thank you in advance!

Correct, it still does not work

• Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭✭

The unbound sickle is the same. Doesn't give unbound magic.

• :( The sad part is that no one from Arenanet is replying to this.

• I can just confirm it's the same for me. The sickle doesn't generate magic.

• Kelian Ravenwood.4130Kelian Ravenwood.4130 Member ✭✭
    edited December 5, 2020

Experiencing the same problem; I did submit a bug report via GW2
    Also confirmed this is only for the consumables (my infinite VM harvesting sickles still give Volatile Magic)

Update: ANet has replied to my website bug report. They have stated they are unaware of the problem and are requesting all players experiencing this issue to submit a bug report in-game to connect the user data. You can also submit a bug report through the forum, but in-game will contain more pertinent information (as it links to the instance, your account, etc...).

• Zaxares.5419Zaxares.5419 Member ✭✭✭

On a somewhat related note, the Glyph of Scavenging (33% chance to return Fine mats) is also broken. I've tested it on open world nodes, synthesizers, and node farms, and despite harvesting probably in excess of 100 nodes, not a single one has returned a Fine mat. Other glyphs such as the Watchknight, Logger, Unbound or Leatherworker still work correctly.

• My unbound harvesting sickle doesn't give any unbound magic also. I reported it a number of times.

• Hesione.9412Hesione.9412 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just tested mine. All three unbound magic tools are giving unbound magic. That's going to potentially be a nightmare to debug.

• Have any of you checked to see if the appropriate glyph is installed and it is not installed on an expendable tool by mistake. It's not hard to loose track of glyphs now that they can be used on any harvesting tool. Tools will just harvest with no glyph installed. Even the infinite tools

• +1 for the frostbitten sickle not working

• its not working for me too, axe and pick still do..what is this bug?

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Hesione.9412 said:
    Just tested mine. All three unbound magic tools are giving unbound magic. That's going to potentially be a nightmare to debug.

It really shouldn't be BUT it would make things much easier if people reporting included node type, map, tool, tool skin, glyph.

"Does not work" is usually not a great report.

• Prancybald.5809Prancybald.5809 Member
    edited December 10, 2020

I was sent here by support as it's a thing that would need to be noticed by the dev team and not the support team, it seems to be an account related problem, as opposed to the tool / node / etc.

Playing with multiple family members or friends, on a LAN sitting right next to each other, exclusively I have had this issue out of the group I usually play with. We've walked around entire maps together, in a party, in the same instance, gathering the same nodes and everyone but me gains Volatile Magic when foraging.

For example, if we walk around Queensdale, everyone but me gains Volatile Magic on every gather. I gain Volatile Magic only when mining or logging, but never from foraging. We'll then change to Plains of Ashford, with the same result. (everyone but me gains on every gather, I gain never if the gathering type is foraging)

All of us are using https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Volatile_Harvesting_Sickle

None of are using a skin or unlimited gathering tool.

None of us are using a glyph.

None of the nodes this issue arises on are gatherable from multiple times.

The issue arises both when gathering from a "node farm" and when gathering from a standard node.

The Pick and Axe that are intended to reward Volatile Magic when gathering are working correctly on the same account as the Sickle is not working on.

The issue persists across every character on that account.

The issue persists on new characters created on that account since the issue arose.

If I change accounts on the same computer, then gather a node, gathering with the Sickle rewards Volatile Magic as intended. Switching back to the "problem" account on the same computer and gathering the same node rewards no Volatile Magic.

All of us are (usually) using a tool purchased from the karma vendor in Dragonfall, specifically this vendor https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystal_Bloom_Quartermaster
    but, the same issue happens when using the Volatile Harvesting Sickle purchased from other vendors, that vendor is just the most convenient one to get to.

edit: I have also included this information in a bug report, and linked support to a video of the issue happening in case it was useful, but was directed by support to also post on the forums in addition to the bug report.

• I've also been sent here (forums) via a support ticket. Posted in another ticket also (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/119673/bug-glyph-of-the-scavenger-not-working?) but I suspect these are related.

First response in the support ticket was stating it was down to % odds, but I've done well over 50 harvests so far, since I've been monitoring more closely, and not a single instance of bonus yield. At 50 attempts this is a 0.00000020125% chance of it occurring I think? As soon as I swap the glyph to logging or mining - it works fine. Only seems to be occurring during harvesting. Various nodes used, both home instance and in the open world. Currently have the Choya harvesting tool equipped with the Glyph of the Scavenger.

• It's been weeks since this has been reported and I've seen no comment from Anet. What's going on?

• Adzekul.3104Adzekul.3104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020

Additionally, the Frostbitten Orichalcum Harvesting Sickle is also not giving snowflakes, but the equivalent mining pick is.

I can confirm that my (permanent) Unbound Magic Harvesting Blast + Glyph of the Tailor seems to be working as normal/expected.

• My Volatile Magic Harvesting Tool works fine, but my Unbound Magic Harvesting Blast no longer collects any unbound magic.
    My Unbound Magic Logging Pulse and the other Volatile Magic tools all work fine.
    All are gem store bought.

• Still an issue as of 15/12 post wintersday patch. x15 attempts in home instance with Glyph of the scavenger on Choya harvesting tool, 0 bonus materials.
    Swapped glyph onto mining tool - x21 attempts , 7 bonus materials exactly in line with 33% chance.
    To validate other posts, glyph of forester does work on harvesting tool though.

• Adding my post to those who aren't getting snowflakes from the Frostbitten Harvesting Sickle, I just blew a bunch of karma outfitting a dozen characters with them for the flax farm before I found out they're useless :|

• I'm having the same issues with Volatile Magic Harvesting Sickles purchased with Karma in Dragonfall, Frostbitten Orichalcum Sickles purchased with Karma in Divinity's Reach, and Lucky Dog Harvesting Sickle equipped with Glyph of the Scavenger. These sickles will harvest the plants, but they give no volatile magic, snow flakes or bonus crafting materials, respectively. I have observed these effects in various maps, including Mount Maelstrom Hidden Garden, Driftwood Coast, Home Instance and Guild Hall Nodes. Please fix this bug.

• It would be good if Arena Net would at least acknowledge this. As others have mentioned, still no change post Wintersday patch (es).

• I'd like to join the crowd as well. Neither my karma bought volatile nor frostbitten harvesting sickle triggers. I've only noticed it about a week or two ago.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭

Confirmed broken: Unbound Sickle, Volatile Sickle, Frostbitten Sickle. Yes, even the current one is broken.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 17k hours, 28k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Auramancer(PvE) & Terakura/Healbreaker(WvW) aka Sea of Sorrows Silver Assaulter [SUKI]
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Same here, all 3 broken throughout every map at all times. Bug reported but no answer yet.

edited December 18, 2020

Unbound sickle working:
    1. Mt Maelstrom - leeks, near Criterion WP, artichoke farm south of Oxbow Isle WP.
    2. Malchor's Leap - ghost pepper near elder wood farming node, black crocus and omnomberries on hill with energy probe south of Shelter Docks, ghost pepper SE of Waste Hollows WP (in the nook with the Risen Knight)
    3. Southsun Cove - three passiflora nodes around east side of Dappled Shores.

These were my testing locations (near the PSNA ;) ) and not an exhaustive list.

Edit: specifically testing flax farm in VB - all eight nodes gave UM.

• There''s an earlier comment that states it might be account related as one of theirs is affected and another isn't.

• merry xmas and happy near guys next year this will probably be fixed

• @Hesione.9412 said:
    Unbound sickle working:
    1. Mt Maelstrom - leeks, near Criterion WP, artichoke farm south of Oxbow Isle WP.
    2. Malchor's Leap - ghost pepper near elder wood farming node, black crocus and omnomberries on hill with energy probe south of Shelter Docks, ghost pepper SE of Waste Hollows WP (in the nook with the Risen Knight)
    3. Southsun Cove - three passiflora nodes around east side of Dappled Shores.

These were my testing locations (near the PSNA ;) ) and not an exhaustive list.

Edit: specifically testing flax farm in VB - all eight nodes gave UM.

Thanks for posting your results.

I tried my gem store version Unbound Magic Harvesting Blast on all of these nodes -- Mt. Maelstrom leek and asparagus near Criterion WP and troll artichoke farm, Malchor's Leap ghost pepper near Elder wood farm and black crocus and omnonberries middle of the map (the nodes on the hill weren't active for me when I tested), Southsun Cove passiflora, and Verdant Brink flax farm -- and got zero unbound magic from any of them.

• I'm having this same exact problem with both my consumable volatile magic harvesting tool and my frostbitten harvesting tool, happened on all maps I tried and in my guild hall and home instance. I did report in the game for both tools, but I'm putting it here as well. My friend is also having this issue with her harvesting tools. She's new to the game so bugs like this where you waste precious karma on things that don't work looks bad... (luckily karma is abundant at the moment, but I did explain that normally it's not as easy to get as it is during the festival.)

• Chrysaor.6392Chrysaor.6392 Member ✭✭
    edited December 23, 2020

The Unbound Harvesting Sickles that I purchased yesterday (12/22/20) from Sun Warming in Bitterfrost Frontier are not producing Unbound Magic. The Unbound Harvesting Sickles that I purchased in November from Queen Bahar in Siren's Landing are still producing Unbound Magic. I know this because I buy Unbound and Volatile Gathering Tools in Bulk and my different characters use them at different rates.

• Chrysaor.6392Chrysaor.6392 Member ✭✭
    edited December 23, 2020

Definitely dependent on when the sickle was purchased. I had the same character harvest Coral from Siren's Landing with older and newly purchased Unbound Harvesting Sickles.The old Unbound Harvesting Sickle produced Unbound Magic, the new one did not.

• @Chrysaor.6392 said:
    Definitely dependent on when the sickle was purchased. I had the same character harvest Coral from Siren's Landing with older and newly purchased Unbound Harvesting Sickles.The old Unbound Harvesting Sickle produced Unbound Magic, the new one did not.

The item IDs haven't changed so if that's true, it has to do with some other data stored with the item.
    I'm experiencing this issue as well, and reported it with the in-game /bug command as suggested. (Europe server)

I just bought the volatile magic harvesting tools with karma, in Dragonfall, just over an hour ago. The sickle is not giving volatile magic, although I am getting the magic with the logging and mining tools. I harvested pepper as well as mistborn motes, and got nothing from the pepper.

• I just purchased a bundle of volatile gathering tools myself while I was in domain of Kourna, and the axe and pick work just fine, but the sickle did not give me any volatile magic. I've already made a bug report in game via /bug on NA. Hopefully they fix this soon, because it looks like it's been going on for a while now.

Has there been news of any fix coming out for this? It's coming up a month for this bug.

• That's strange, all of mine are working fine, but I use mostly the infinite ones

@NotTooFoolish.7412 said:
    That's strange, all of mine are working fine, but I use mostly the infinite ones

The problem appears to be associated with the ones purchased recently. My infinite magic ones are working fine, but I bought those pre-PoF. I karma-traded for some normal volatile magic gathering tools last week. The logging and mining tools give me the expected vm, but not the foraging one. I keep hoping for an update from Anet re an ETA on a fix, but haven't seen anything posted. The bug has been present for almost a month, and appears to pre-date the Wintersday patch.

• i have the same problem only the sickle doesnt work anywhere...

• The Fear.3865The Fear.3865 Member ✭✭✭

Still no snowflakes with the wintersday sickle, and the event ends soon. :(

• These are getting lost in more recent posts but it's still an issue so commenting on them to bring them back into visibility.

• Bump bump bump, volatile sickle on all characters, 3 accounts still not producing volatiles

• I submitted a ticket 19 days ago and was sent the following reply less than an hour later.
    "I have looked into this issue and it appears the development team is aware of the matter and working on a solution as quickly as possible. We do not currently have a time frame for this fix, so please keep an eye on the official Guild Wars 2 forums (https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum) for any updates. We appreciate your information and patience while we work on this issue."

• Still haven't seen any progress with this; I've had two other players notify me of experiencing the same issue (I stressed they should submit a bug report to validate frequency... not sure if they did)

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can confirm this bug. I is highly unlikely that it got chanced to only award magic randomly (certain percentage). According to the wiki it should give more per hit but that is only logical: Sinc it has less uses and the nodes get only 1 hit as opposed to mining/lumbering where you have 3 hits.

The account thing is weird though. (Then actually it should be something the support should be able to help with.)

Maybe it really is the date when they got bought. (And the one that compared to his family has some he bought recently and they had older ones.) Let's see if they get a fix ready in the next few weeks ...