Greatsword build for WvW and roaming

Argonax.5183

Hi all,

for some reasons I can't find/make a good build for WvW and roaming that include greatsword.I really love the greatsword playstile and I'm crafting the sunrise but after several tries I haven't find a good build to run with.Do you have any suggestion for a good build with 2h sword?

Another question do you think running celestial equip with a greatsword is useless? The marauder equip feels like too much power and less survivability

Thanks in advice for any answer :)

I roam as Firebrand with full Celestial gear and it works great for me personally but I've tried it with two handed sword and it is just very subpar to the axe since Firebrand is essentially a condition spec and the axe works amazing with condition damage where as the 2 handed sword works much better for a power build which the dragonhunter shines at.

There are some 2 handed sword firebrand power builds going around focusing on quickness uptime but with the recent balance patch I believe that build has been nerfed from a meh build to a not very good build.

@Argonax.5183 said:Thank you again, I'll go for dragonhunter then :)

Power-based FB with greatsword can be deadly too! The quickness really makes the bursts on this build hurt although you will struggle a bit against condi-based builds. With a build like this, you have about as much mobility as you can hope to get on FB:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR8dnsADFBjlDBWDBkCjlECLL/8fCQXLrAQCYPgOQboA-j1CFQBN4AKkGdLXUJoCVmAgHAgAuCAsb/hFcwC0n6PIRpVG0QEAAB4m3Mb2mxm38QH6QH6QHab3m3sNvZduzbmQACGDA-w

The best part is, you can use this build even with your DH's armor/trinket setup, just change around your traitline and utilities a bit when you want to switch.

The problem with the Greatsword is that you rely on the enemy standing there and taking the hit. It might be because I typically play mobile builds, but I often feel insulted everytime a Guardian tries to gank me with a Greatsword - you can see it comming from a million miles away, and you're rarely going to land your burst without help.

@Westenev.5289 said:The problem with the Greatsword is that you rely on the enemy standing there and taking the hit. It might be because I typically play mobile builds, but I often feel insulted everytime a Guardian tries to gank me with a Greatsword - you can see it comming from a million miles away, and you're rarely going to land your burst without help.

Only if you're insane enough to try the Symbol/Spin combo without pinning the target down first. The Wrath symbol is more designed to punish players trying to engage you.... so its not really good when you're the one pushing. Most try to make the mistake of opening with Leap/spin; but GS actually works better if you swap to it mid fight, as it can catch over committed players off guard. The GS5 also starts to make more sense, as it can catch them while they're backing off.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:

Power-based FB with greatsword can be deadly too! The quickness really makes the bursts on this build hurt although you will struggle a bit against condi-based builds. With a build like this, you have about as much mobility as you can hope to get on FB:

The best part is, you can use this build even with your DH's armor/trinket setup, just change around your traitline and utilities a bit when you want to switch.

You're build seems very solid, I'll try it for sure becouse I'm making Marauder equip. And it share the same equip of dragonhunter, so +1 for that :)Just one question, why you pick Archivist of Whispers (1st talent on firebrand) instaed of Liberator's vow? With mantra heal you can stack a lot of quickness :)

@Ragnarox.9601 said:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAneRnsADNCj1BDGBDkCjF+BDLAMDKC7Z0PaJNrClh6QA-jVCBABAcEAEc/hKeEAmp87Z9Akq+TiaCcUJIDnAgAAJAnHzj5ZeA+lf5X+lf5Xa78l3z98l3z98lf5XePSBs1QL-w

my build that works pretty well.

• using regen food, so i have 150(virtue) + 150 (symbol) + 90 (food) + 200 (regen) = 590 heal/sec + 1000 heal on dodge + every aegis 1100 heal

You're build seems pretty solid too, but I think it can run well only with celestial gear. I will try it when I'll craft legendary armor and I can switch stats easly

@Thereon.5219 said:I roam as Firebrand with full Celestial gear and it works great for me personally but I've tried it with two handed sword and it is just very subpar to the axe since Firebrand is essentially a condition spec and the axe works amazing with condition damage where as the 2 handed sword works much better for a power build which the dragonhunter shines at.

There are some 2 handed sword firebrand power builds going around focusing on quickness uptime but with the recent balance patch I believe that build has been nerfed from a meh build to a not very good build.

Any chance you can share your build ?I'm in full celestial now and can't find a build for roaming when not playing in party.

@Thani.8569 said:

@Thereon.5219 said:I roam as Firebrand with full Celestial gear and it works great for me personally but I've tried it with two handed sword and it is just very subpar to the axe since Firebrand is essentially a condition spec and the axe works amazing with condition damage where as the 2 handed sword works much better for a power build which the dragonhunter shines at.

Any chance you can share your build ?I'm in full celestial now and can't find a build for roaming when not playing in party.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAnf7ensADVChFBDOCDkCjl4BbPmeT7pVBgtU9yyL4RB-j1hAABA8AAQT5HM7PYq6PQqE8iTAwi6HWHIA8OA+//b+////lCgndaA-w

What I currently use, can adjust as necessary for your style. Only mirages have given me issue so far.

@Argonax.5183 said:

@Arcaedus.7290 said:

You're build seems very solid, I'll try it for sure becouse I'm making Marauder equip. And it share the same equip of dragonhunter, so +1 for that :)Just one question, why you pick Archivist of Whispers (1st talent on firebrand) instaed of Liberator's vow? With mantra heal you can stack a lot of quickness :)

Having 8 pages in a tome has been tremendously helpful for f2 and especially f3 tomes. There have been times that it's saved me, but you're right, you could indeed try liberator's vow for more quickness uptime. If you really like liberator's vow, you could try swapping the master trait from lower cd on mantras to quickness on stab/aegis, then change out the quickness mantra. This let you maintain decent quickness uptime but give more flexibility for that utility slot.

@Justine.6351 said:I've been trying to make gs, sword/shield work on burn firebrand in wvw. I feel like I'm mostly held back by not being an experienced guardian and that I've never played double melee.

I would suggest running scepter instead of sword, and treating scepter as a melee weapon with additional reach if you are going with GS. Just a personal suggestion.

@Bash.7291 said:

@Justine.6351 said:I've been trying to make gs, sword/shield work on burn firebrand in wvw. I feel like I'm mostly held back by not being an experienced guardian and that I've never played double melee.

I would suggest running scepter instead of sword, and treating scepter as a melee weapon with additional reach if you are going with GS. Just a personal suggestion.

I wanted the mobility.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:There are a number of builds that can work with GS, I run a GS/SF build, which seems to be even less common. It is far from optimal and I am not the best player, but burst ability can be good with it.

this is some weird tanky version of FB, mine would obliterate you in 30 sec cause of celestial stats.

@Ragnarox.9601 said:

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:There are a number of builds that can work with GS, I run a GS/SF build, which seems to be even less common. It is far from optimal and I am not the best player, but burst ability can be good with it.

this is some weird tanky version of FB, mine would obliterate you in 30 sec cause of celestial stats.

Is celestial good then for support/dps?

@Justine.6351 said:

@Ragnarox.9601 said:

Is celestial good then for support/dps?

dont listen to ppl, celestial is excellent in roaming, you do 1500 burn plus 1500 bleed dmg if you opt for axe trait and if you put bleed sigil on axe.plus my build heals me on symbols plus ehal on aegis plus heal food. You get quite survival with it plus good dmg.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAneRnsADNCj1BDGBDkCjF+BDLAMDKC7X0PaJNrClh6QA-jVCEABap8DgjAQCPCAMV/RQlgDrHogTAQfaCsb/hAAJAnHzj5ZeA+lf5X+lf5Xa78l3z98l3z98lf5XePSBYmQL-w try it.

I do not think Firebrand and solo roaming works well. And GS needs assistance to set-up skill 2.

Sure you will win some fights against fairly poor players, but anyone competent will beat you. If you are running with a small group you will shine better as you can support them with your tomes and your team can make up for your deficiencies as a firebrand.

Also, Guardians best defenses have nothing to do with stats. Timing your Aegis and blinds are going to give you more wins.

Dragon hunter with full marauders is going to serve you much better due to higher mobility with the high burst.

@Ragnarox.9601 said:

Welcome to try ;)

Been running this build for power-based FB roaming with GS:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR8dnsAD1BjlDBWDBkCjlEC7aZFASAZ5n/TAaPgOQboA-jFDFQBKUZyCOQBC4CAwgDCASUa1gDoAAeCApR3SG0Qwu9H0n6PXUJYAAEgbezsZbGbezDdoDdoDdotdbez28m15OvZCBIYMA-w

The way I look at it is: You sacrifice a little bit of damage from core medi guard for more sustain, or you sacrifice mobility of DH (f2 wings) for more utility. Its damage is definitely on par with either build.

Note: this build would perform significantly better if A CERTAIN COMPANY was to fix their bugs and let Indomitable Courage interact with Tome of Courage to break stuns. One can dream I suppose.

I've been playing around with a power FB build and so far it has proven to be very effective. Focuses on maintaining 25 stacks of might since I can keep my retaliation uptime 100% which allows me to hit like a beast while still maintaining a healthy hp and toughness pool. Also has a huge uptime on Quickness which is a huge dps booster that DH don't have access to.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR7ensAD1BjFBDOCDkCjl4BrKA0AqX7v0b6O1qEkviUA-jVSBQBc4gAsgjAAFeAAvUJIAuAAOU9HPq8zf6G43+DBAOAO/8Mv5Bnf+5nf+5d95nf+5nf+5nf+5lCIiZaA-w

Archived