A Plea For Dungeons.

Zhaveh.6801

I understand that the dev teams are focused on fractals and raids. However, I think dungeons were some of the best content in the game that told side stories that we haven't really gotten anywhere else. Fractals are constantly going into the past and Raids seem to follow along the story of the LW. Neither of these are bad they provide great insight into the universe that Tyria is in. Fractals are imo the quick content and Raids are for people that have a little bit more time on their hands. I feel like Dungeons could be that sweet in the middle spot that focuses on side stories in Tyria. Stories that could later become relevant and help flesh out the world just a little bit more. The devs could pull from side stories from the personal story or story threads from previous dungeons. For example for remember Malyk(spell check). Sylvari players helped him to escape west into the jungle so that the nightmare court couldn't get him. He came from a completely different pale tree. Imagine if we had a dungeon that was set up like a mini raid wings. Picture us going in to help Malyk before the start of HoT, and fighting off Mordys corruption of his tree and trying to save his family. We could have failed and the last wing of the dugeon could have been locked until you beat the story of HoT. Where you go back into the tree with Malyk and fight off the final bits of corruption and then he becomes something like the father tree. They could have brought him along for the story in HoT and gave some serious movitation to defeat the dragon in order to save his people. This is clearly loosely strung together but its just an idea. That could have tied of a story most Sylvari players would have enjoyed and other players would have got a glimpse into more background info about the Sylvari.

Anyone else remember the AC dungeon story? Eir went there and retrieved Maegder to get it repaired and given to Logan. However, we never had a pay off for that story. They could set a dungeon up where it gets stolen from the blacksmith she took it to for repairs. Then we're task to retrieve it in the first part of the dungeon and then later we could travel to the mist to find some black smith of legend to repair it. We already have info that Rytlock had to get Sohathin reignited in the mist after it went could and we've have traveled to UW in raids already. So I'm sure there is a way to write it in.

Now obviously, I am no writer. These are just two quick examples of stories that could be expanded on in raids pulled from existing content that's in game. There are countless other stories they could use. I remember when they dropped Twilight Arbor AetherPath into the game and the mad dash to get that done the community loved it. The only issue people had were the rewards.

An easy way to fix that is to drop new armor in or weapons. Dungeon tokens can still be utilized in this manner. Make the armor and weapons exotic as to not make it too easy to obtain ascended gear. However, they could do something like include ascended recipes for armor and weapons to add some extra glow to the armor. We have an example of this already dropped with the Day Break patch. The Stellar weapon set is just a glowing version of the Astral set. However people love it! You can add an achievement line into those dungeons that makes it just as time consuming to obtain the recipes for the weapons and armor. I love fractals and raiding is fun as well. However, the dungeons in my opinion had so much room to grow and be amazing content. Again look at what the dev team did with Aether path. That is still my favorite dungeon path in the entire game. I love the lore of the game and would love to see it expand. They can drop dungeons in like they do raids or fractals and just put them in when they are ready. I understand that dungeons may not be for everyone. However, neither is fractals or raids but that continue continues to receive updates.

I love this game and the universe ANET is building. I've been playing since GW1 since 2008 and played GW2 since launch. My first account was stolen then banned. I love the game so much I bought it again I started over completely fresh. The team you guys have is amazing and can accomplish so much. Thank you for all who took the time to read this.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wall of text crits for 16k, lol. Seriously though, I agree completely. I love the dungeons in this game. I hate that when I log on for the short bit of time I have for gaming I am unable to run dungeons most of the time. If there aren't groups almost filled in the group finder, I ignore dungeons. I have spent my entire play time looking for people wanting to run dungeons, so I just don't do it.

Dungeons are not a good way to gear up, so people ignore them for the most part. If there was some way to get ascended gear from them, I see the popularity of them greatly increasing. A simple solution would be a new token available through side paths that can convert into fractal relics.

You can always put up a lfg for the dungeon you want to do then go do something else while it fills, no need to stand outside the dungeon enterance is there?EditThe reason I say this is becouse if everyone think as the earlier poster noone will put up lfg and just ignore dungeons.Ppl have to get their tumb out of their behind and start groups themselfs ^_^

\o i will sign petition for this :P when dungeon was a thing back in the good old days. it was truly fun. many guilds were doing them. now all you hear guild talking about is raids and fractal (among minority of people) and fractal is not something everyone does like in the old days almost everyone jump into dungeon to play.

@Talindra.4958 said:\o i will sign petition for this :P when dungeon was a thing back in the good old days. it was truly fun. many guilds were doing them. now all you hear guild talking about is raids and fractal (among minority of people) and fractal is not something everyone does like in the old days almost everyone jump into dungeon to play.

The reason for that? In the old days there wasn't much else beside dungeons. Now there is, and it's better gameplay, so dungeons are only run by newbies and players who need the tokens for something, be it legendary gift or runes.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Talindra.4958 said:\o i will sign petition for this :P when dungeon was a thing back in the good old days. it was truly fun. many guilds were doing them. now all you hear guild talking about is raids and fractal (among minority of people) and fractal is not something everyone does like in the old days almost everyone jump into dungeon to play.

The reason for that? In the old days there wasn't much else beside dungeons. Now there is, and it's better gameplay, so dungeons are only run by newbies and players who need the tokens for something, be it legendary gift or runes.

i managed a guild of 350 players, around 30-40 max are active during my play time (EU daytime in EU server). less than 10 has raid exp and 4 or 5 is with 800li + around 15 does fractals. the rest are vet players but not bother with fractal and such. many are slowing down with guild wars. the game are heading to elitist type of game.. so many people don't even bother now to try. the Living story is ok at least catering for the others. but imagine 1 new dungeon each update with good reward farm like fractal.. i can take any casual guildies to the run.. these people i am talking about like in their 50s or 60s. very nice people that want to take part of group content too.

Edit to correct numbers. :p

fractal needs stepping up with skills. dungeon not. dungeon anyone can enter and get it done. no req for armor or agony resistance. if you ask me to go level 1-50 fractal or anything not t4 or cm .. forget it. but if u make new dungeon.. with reward. yes i will go with the casual players or anyone for fun and reward. current dungeon is too boring now because there is NO updateif you can imagine player just enjoy pew pewing without any restriction on build or traits or set up.. and can still participate in "small" group content.. dungeon is easy to include people that enjoy such play style.

@FitzChevalerie.1035 said:cant put a lfg if im in fractals. and open world is borng for the most part

Then don't go into fractals. Dungeon LFGs generally fill fast enough that you don't have to take such extreme measures just to combat the boredness of waiting for your LFG to fill. Do something else, clean your bank, play the TP, change your look, whatever. Whatever else you do when waiting for your non-dungeon LFGs to fill.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Talindra.4958 said:but imagine 1 new dungeon each update with good reward farm like fractal..

So how exactly would it differ from a new fractal?

If dungeons are made in addition to fractals then its just double the content. If dungeons and fractals are developed on rotation then they can make an instance with actual relevant story once in a while without messing with their own lore if they still care about it.

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@"Talindra.4958" said:but imagine 1 new dungeon each update with good reward farm like fractal..

If dungeons are made in addition to fractals then its just double the content. If dungeons and fractals are developed on rotation then they can make an instance with actual relevant story once in a while
without messing with their own lore if they still care about it

They are both instanced content. They both feature stories. I'd pick Arkk's story over the "let's make the supposedly famous ex-members of DE stop behaving like a bunch of children" story any time. Oasis has a nice lore story, although on this front Arah is doing pretty well too. My point is, there is no reason to develop two types of instanced content that do exactly the same, except one (FotM) is strictly superior to the other because it also features difficulty tiers so it can appeal to a wider group of players.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@Talindra.4958 said:but imagine 1 new dungeon each update with good reward farm like fractal..

If dungeons are made in addition to fractals then its just double the content. If dungeons and fractals are developed on rotation then they can make an instance with actual relevant story once in a while

My point is, there is no reason to develop two types of instanced content that do exactly the same, except one (FotM) is strictly superior to the other because it also features difficulty tiers so it can appeal to a wider group of players.

Having more repeatable content is already big enough reason to do it.Giving designers and writers an opportunity to do better boss fights and develop characters is another one.

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

My point is, there is no reason to develop two types of instanced content that do exactly the same, except one (FotM) is strictly superior to the other because it also features difficulty tiers so it can appeal to a wider group of players.

Having more repeatable content is already big enough reason to do it.Giving designers and writers an opportunity to do better boss fights and develop characters is another one.

And all of that can be done in the FotM format. As evidenced by the fractal updates in the last year. We get better stories, boss fights that are leaps and bounds better and recurring characters/story arcs spanning over different instances.

@Feanor.2358 said:

And
all
of that can be done in the FotM format.

They could not just put a balthazar fight in to a fractal. They could make it a challenging 5 man dungeon tho. FotM gives them a lot of freedom but it will not work for relevant main story stuff unless main story make us go in to fractals.Oh and another reason to make dungeons is that they can't sell fractals as a part of story episodes or expansions without it looking like a cashgrab. Not an issue with dungeons.

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

And
all
of that can be done in the FotM format.

They could not just put a balthazar fight in to a fractal. They could make it a challenging 5 man dungeon tho. FotM gives them a lot of freedom but it will not work for relevant main story stuff unless main story make us go in to fractals.Oh and another reason to make dungeons is that they can't sell fractals as a part of story episodes or expansions without it looking like a cashgrab. Not an issue with dungeons.

They wouldn't do a dungeon-finishing story again, not after Arah. The community backlash would be severe because you couldn't finish your personal story solo. It felt forced back then and it would feel forced now. By the way, this bad feeling was part of the reason I quit GW2 back then and I actually completed the whole HoT story before finishing my vanilla one when I got back into the game. Challenging and/or group content is very well positioned aside from the main story IMO. GW2 does an excellent job of allowing you to seek both challenge and socialization without actually requiring you to do either. It makes the game feel friendly and inviting. It's one of its USPs and I don't think ANet would like to change that.

Well I do agree that the game has catered for wide variety of game modes for diff group of players..I do not know what is missing atm .. maybe its only the link to all..I still think it's will be a dream if they give us a new expansion with 3 new maps and each with a dungeon expl for 5 men casual group instance or 10men casual squad instance and with open world map meta events.. mmm.. too good to be true right.. :p maybe many will not like that..

@Talindra.4958 said:Well I do agree that the game has catered for wide variety of game modes for diff group of players..I do not know what is missing atm .. maybe its only the link to all..I still think it's will be a dream if they give us a new expansion with 3 new maps and each with a dungeon expl for 5 men casual group instance or 10men casual squad instance and with open world map meta events.. mmm.. too good to be true right.. :p maybe many will not like that..

I just dont see the differance with casual t1-2 fractals to dungeons tho.Just becouse you can do t4 why wouldent you do lower grades with your friends if they want to?

@Klowdy.3126 said:Wall of text crits for 16k, lol. Seriously though, I agree completely. I love the dungeons in this game. I hate that when I log on for the short bit of time I have for gaming I am unable to run dungeons most of the time. If there aren't groups almost filled in the group finder, I ignore dungeons. I have spent my entire play time looking for people wanting to run dungeons, so I just don't do it.

Dungeons are not a good way to gear up, so people ignore them for the most part. If there was some way to get ascended gear from them, I see the popularity of them greatly increasing. A simple solution would be a new token available through side paths that can convert into fractal relics.

See and thats why they should have hard to get ascended recipes to give it that feeling of prestige. Kind of like the new Stellar weapon set.

Archived