GW2 causing computer to shut off.

So. I'm not entirely certain why but since the latest patch GW2 has been causing my computer to shut off at seemingly random intervals. It happened three times last night while I was trying to do Ascalonian Catacombs. It's not as if I get a blue screen, it just shuts right down like if I was rebooting it. Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

@Bloodtau.4672 said:Your graphics card isn't a nvidia Geforce EVGA 1080 FTW is it?The earlier versions of their cards do just that. I had to return mine for an updated model. It's a known issue their end

Do you have a link to any more information on the known issue? I've been having this problem for quite a while now and turns out I have that card.

Some things that can cause shutdowns: bad RAM (test for a few hours with multiple instances of HCI Memtest); a bad PSU (only real test is to swap in another one); a faulty power switch on the case; the leads from the power switch not being fully plugged into the motherboard; a dead CMOS battery on the motherboard can cause all manner of bizarre behavior; overheating due to dust clogging fans, fan failure, or the CPU fan not attached correctly (sometimes only 3 heatsink lockpins engage instead of all four).

Things you can and should do first that don't involve mucking about in the case are to test the RAM (for more than a minute, please, bad RAM can take a few hours to throw an error); update your motherboard's firmware, and update your motherboard's chipset drivers.

@arkerus.7961 said:So. I'm not entirely certain why but since the latest patch GW2 has been causing my computer to shut off at seemingly random intervals. It happened three times last night while I was trying to do Ascalonian Catacombs. It's not as if I get a blue screen, it just shuts right down like if I was rebooting it. Any advice?

Does it happen with your other games? If it's with all games I would blame hardware. The same thing happens on my grandson's pc when all other games are fine and he plays Fortnight and Overwatch besides others so i doubt it's the pc.... It makes no sense and I'm sure it will disappear just like it popped up, out of nowhere. So there may be nothing wrong with your pc and I disagree with a game causing your pc to shut down Since viruses can do it, bad coding can do it by accident.

@lunarminx.3624 said:

@arkerus.7961 said:So. I'm not entirely certain why but since the latest patch GW2 has been causing my computer to shut off at seemingly random intervals. It happened three times last night while I was trying to do Ascalonian Catacombs. It's not as if I get a blue screen, it just shuts right down like if I was rebooting it. Any advice?

Does it happen with your other games? If it's with all games I would blame hardware.
The same thing happens on my grandson's pc when all other games are fine and he plays Fortnight and Overwatch besides others so i doubt it's the pc.... It makes no sense and I'm sure it will disappear just like it popped up, out of nowhere.
So there may be nothing wrong with your pc and I disagree with a game causing your pc to shut down Since viruses can do it, bad coding can do it by accident.

Going to say you are most likely wrong. It's not the game as it would happen to everyone.1) Say it's the HD, it doesn't mean the whole drive is dead, it could have bad sectors and only 1 thing can be installed in 1 sector at a time, so it could be GW2 is installed in the bad area.2) MMOs use A LOT more computer resources than both the games you listed. If it's a temperture issue due to dust, it's quite possible GW2 hits the issue while OW does not (I play all three, I can confirm GW2 uses more resources).3) It could be a ram issue and it just happens GW2 wants access to more, while the others do not.

The only way you could prove it was a GW2 issue is if every player with the exact components you have all have the issue. Seeing as that isn't happening, I highly suggest you check everything listed before his computer actually stops working completely.

I got the same problem yesterday when i running fractal daily, my pc just shut off, i always running msi afterburner so i always know if my pc overheating or not. When that happen my pc just running on normal temp, i remember before i play gw2 yesterday i playing rise of the tomb rider and doesnt have any problemHere my spec:I7 3770 - intel turbo boost on8gb memory1tb sshdGtx 1050ti - running on normal450w psu 80+Windows 10 1709. Build 16299.248. Latest updateAll my driver is uptodateThank you!

Did you turn off the memory dumps (basically turning off bluescreens, too)? Also, normally, a PC (or PSU, or BIOS) is set up to "last power state" or something, which means, if it turns on immediately, it is either a bluescreen that does not occur or just a random crash (mind: computer are incredible machines still extremely complex. Just like your motor's car can die once for no apparent reason after 100,000 miles, so can your PC).

I had such a problem with THIEF on my old GTX670 and the stock Acer power supply.

I also got the same problem with this on my laptop with an Nvidia 1070.When I use high settings it sometimes crash seconds after logging in on some maps. The worst area I have found is Fields of ruins around Foulbear Kraal. Computer crashes about every third time I log in in that area with high graphics settings, lowering settings seems to help a lot.

Can play WvW zerg fights with higher settings so I don't think it is anything with thermals.WvW can also randomly crash with no people around so that isn't entierly OK either but it is usually several hours between crashes.

Archived