Looking for a good noob profession/build

Archivist.8109

The only stats you'll have to care about are power, precision and ferocity so go for either berserker or assassin gear. Both will get the job done but gear with assassin stats is slightly cheaper. Only use deadeye if you want to use rifle, otherwise daredevil is the way to go since having more and better dodges is just to valuable to ignore.

@Archivist.8109 said:I think I'm gonna go with a norn warrior. I like the look of their cultural heavy armor, and warrior is supposedly pretty easy, but has some potential to it. I think I'll plan on going for berserker, as I do favor DoTs where possible in MMOs.

Go condi trap ranger for dot. And zerker war with healing signet for pure damage. Both pretty much a beginner class and build.

I think it depends on what game mode you think you are concentrating most (landscape questing, fractals, raids, PvP, WvW), and what kind of play style you like. From my toons, ranger has been my "workhorse" (PvP, smallish group WvW, fractals), although guardian comes next second. I usually play games - including this one - pretty defensively, and background support roles suit me well. If you like more aggressive playstyle, then there could be some better suiting classes for you.

@Archivist.8109 said:I think I'm gonna go with a norn warrior. I like the look of their cultural heavy armor, and warrior is supposedly pretty easy, but has some potential to it. I think I'll plan on going for berserker, as I do favor DoTs where possible in MMOs.

When leveling go for Strength, Defense and Discipline. The Berserker’s Power and Adrenal Health traits combined with Discipline’s focus on more frequent Bursts (F1 skills) will result in a very solid build that can use whatever weapons you want and still clear almost anything you throw at it.

Good choice. Condi Berserker Warrior is currently the strongest PvE build for Warrior and should fit what you are looking for very well. Welcome to Tyria!

I think thief is the best "easy to use" class. Cant get any easier than pressing a single button to do dps. I recommend using P/P or staff with thief (staff requires Dare Devil elite). The condition thief build takes too long for dmg to ramp up in open world, infact I dont like using condition for open world at all. I think it might not satisfy your 'engaging' requirement though.

@stone cold.8609 said:

Good choice. Condi Berserker Warrior is currently the strongest PvE build for Warrior and should fit what you are looking for very well. Welcome to Tyria!

Well that’s it really true. That build is designed being in a raid group with all the support from other classes that implies. When you’re flying solo, core Warrior incorporating Defense for Adrenal Health will be a far more solid build - especially for a new player.

There is a thread about it in the Warrior forums.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Archivist.8109" said:I think I'm gonna go with a norn warrior. I like the look of their cultural heavy armor, and warrior is supposedly pretty easy, but has some potential to it. I think I'll plan on going for berserker, as I do favor DoTs where possible in MMOs.

Well that’s it really true. That build is designed being in a raid group with all the support from other classes that implies. When you’re flying solo, core Warrior incorporating Defense for Adrenal Health will be a far more solid build - especially for a new player.

There is a thread about it in the Warrior forums.

I should have provided a little more detail in my post. Oglaf is correct about the meta build being suited for raids where you have someone to look after your health. Without the defense line, you are much less sturdy. I wasn't referring to this build, but a modification to it which I've found to do the most damage in PvE for me and is fairly straightforward for a novice to play and be successful. It also has the bonus of getting you familiar with the rotations and feel of playing condi warrior which is much different that the power warrior (GS/Axe+X), and will prepare you for running the meta build if you want to get into raids later.

The build I use solo and was referencing is modified from the meta build, using Arms, Defense, Berserker :

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJIQNAsfDnMdAtkilkCElilpA7YAGAGZvA5x91KAA-jhhHQB0T9HCq8zj7PAgTBgGVCWrnAAA-e

It has a lot of synergy, gives a viable ranged option, and has a ton of condi damage with pretty good ramp up time. It also has a good amount of sustain as long as you are bursting (F2, F1) regularly, which really is the key to the build in solo PvE. As for rotations, try to burst as often as you can and remember that your LB fire fields are a major source of damage.

If you're just doing PvE, ranger (particularly druid) is by far the easiest profession with the greatest capability due to how well pets can soak aggro and the relative safety of the profession from its range with longbow and solid escapes and defenses on GS or S/D. I've solo'd a number of world/map bosses with mine and have killed plenty of champion mobs half-afk.

P/P thief is similar but less forgiving and more engaging because it doesn't have the aggro-soaking of the pet and has around half the range. It's better at clearing trash mobs due to the initiative system and Unload's initiative refunding, but weaker overall and with a lower skill ceiling. I'd only really making the move if you find ranger too boring or too easy.

Ranger can generally transition into other content pretty easily as well. It's got clear weaknesses and downsides, but it's got a high enough skill ceiling to keep you improving for a long time, and generally can adapt pretty well to most of the game's content. The only place it's really not good is in WvW blobs unless you tweak your build and play smart so that you're not just killing your allies from projectile reflects.

Ranger is probably the most noob friendly thing and can be effective in all game types with little effort.You can build for range pew pew or live for ever while pet does dps without dieing

Guard is fairly strait forward and IMO more fun than ranger with a fairly low floor.

War only takes effort if you are going to fight players.

P/P thief is fun for open world, and a decent start for someone to learn more advanced classes.

But Honestly my advice is to tell them to go solo as a Mesmer and let them struggle so they learn the game better.

Archived