Thoughts about personal story

! Are you referring to Apatia? I remember that coming quite fast and unexpected. The ending was pretty cruel indeed. Fortunately I couldn't stand her, so it didn't bother me too much. Still, she had a very bad fate.! Many other characters have sad stories, the Asura in love with the Holo-expert Asura girl, the ghost pirates, some Charr that you find dead... (a nice bug: if you talk to her AFTER that she dies, she still says "Hello!", moving her lips :# )

It's kind of hard to comment on without going real heavy on spoilers. I will say, after the main personal story, it seems like the voice acting for the commander gets a more serious and irritable tone. Either they planned on all these dark events taking a toll or I'm just projecting my own feelings.

I liked it on a human female character, since she was always kind of boring and any emotion helps. My little asura seemed more intense than I imagined, but I still like the voice on her way more.

@"CharterforGw.3149" said:Tonn, One of the few memorable characters for me, why do the memorable characters always have to die? it's a real shame, to throw away all the potential they have.! Ooh right. How could I forget him? I still try to avoid that area of Auric Basin, to don't meet Ceera :/ Sooooorry :'(

! EDIT: I have to praise the QA team of Anet for thinking about the several options we have during the story. The fact that you may have different dialogues according to the race or choices you made during your personal story is really amazing. The dialogues with Ceera for example, but also the dialogues with Canach during the discovering of Rata Novus if you play with a sylvari, or during the fight with Mordremoth. "Are you ok Canach, is the voice too strong?" "No, and for you?" (or something similar). I really liked these particulars =)

It may not be obvious the first time you play through it but both the deaths mentioned in this topic were kind-of foreshadowed. It's your character living through their greatest fear, which the Pale Tree told them (during A Light in the Darkness) they'd have to do. That's also why it's probably one of the darkest moments in the story.

(Also I find it interesting that no one seems as bothered by the 3rd one, which is arguably worse because more people are killed and not even for a good reason, but I think it's because they don't put a name and a face to any of them, they're just generic NPCs.)

I have to admit though Tonn's death annoyed me. That was supposed to be my character letting an innocent die. But he wasn't 'an innocent' he was a Pact soldier and a demolitions expert - he knew the risks of what he was doing. But more importantly I didn't let him die, he swam off like an idiot (even I know you don't go back to explosives once they're set) and I didn't have time to stop him. Apart from screwing up telling Ceera I'm not sure why my character would feel any guilt or responsibity. She'd be sad to lose a new friend, but that's not the same.

@Danikat.8537 said:It may not be obvious the first time you play through it but both the deaths mentioned in this topic were kind-of foreshadowed. It's your character living through their greatest fear, which the Pale Tree told them (during A Light in the Darkness) they'd have to do. That's also why it's probably one of the darkest moments in the story.

(Also I find it interesting that no one seems as bothered by the 3rd one, which is arguably worse because more people are killed and not even for a good reason, but I think it's because they don't put a name and a face to any of them, they're just generic NPCs.)

I have to admit though Tonn's death annoyed me. That was supposed to be my character letting an innocent die. But he wasn't 'an innocent' he was a Pact soldier and a demolitions expert - he knew the risks of what he was doing. But more importantly I didn't let him die, he swam off like an idiot (even I know you don't go back to explosives once they're set) and I didn't have time to stop him. Apart from screwing up telling Ceera I'm not sure why my character would feel any guilt or responsibity. She'd be sad to lose a new friend, but that's not the same.

How do you use the spoiler thingy? I'd like to use that so people won't get caught of guard reading my comment :)

@CharterforGw.3149 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:It may not be obvious the first time you play through it but both the deaths mentioned in this topic were kind-of foreshadowed. It's your character living through their greatest fear, which the Pale Tree told them (during A Light in the Darkness) they'd have to do. That's also why it's probably one of the darkest moments in the story.

How do you use the spoiler thingy? I'd like to use that so people won't get caught of guard reading my comment :)

You type [ spoiler] before the paragraph you want to hide and [ / spoiler ] afterwards - but without spaces inside the brackets.

It needs to be a single paragraph though, you can't start a new line or it won't work.

This is just my personal interpretation, but from what I understood your role during Tonn's story was basically to be his bodyguard while he places explosives. In that sense you could say that with his death you failed in your duty, or which you could feel guilty or responsible.

I'm not really keen of how the storyline is right now but, know that it's been reduced since the early days. To be honest, Apatia's part of the story is one of the part that suffered the most from this. I can remember that when I grow my revenant I found out that this part made no sense for me while at launch you shared more things with her.

The story is dark but you have to keep in mind that you are at war with a very strong entity which make use of dead body. Losing some of your companions in this war may be cruel but it's also a given. It just show how difficult the war is.

Archived