Working on Griffon. Need tips to optimize my play time for acquiring gold to buy last 2 items.

Hey all.

I am working on my Griffon Mount. I have everything done except for one event item (that I can easily get done when I am ready) and I have all the purchasable items except for 2, so I am looking to build up 50 Gold (or 25 for each one, doesn't have to be all at once). I'm patient, so I don't mind putting in game time.

I am not a "farmer" and I don't grind...I play. I am a sort-of-casual player(OH NO, NOT CASUAL!!! :) ) I usually get to play 2-4 times a week, sometimes for an hour or so, sometimes longer. (Depends, I'm an older guy with kids in school and college and I coach...so sometimes life gets in the way of my gaming. =) )

I am looking for info on what are my best options for gaining some gold in the time I get to play. (Note: I do try to get my dailies in every day.)

Doing Metas(like SW runs, VB chests, or maybe Istan )? If so which areas?

Do a big Gather Mats run and sell them?

PoF Bounty runs?

I have a good stock of ectos saved up(also slowly working on my first legendary), so I usually sell all my yellows on the TP and salvage greens and below. I can change that practice if it helps.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/tips/ideas! :)

Daily Fractals is easy gold. You get more the higher Tier you’re in of course.

Dailies (as you said) = 2g/day.Any HoT metas, even just for the Amalgamated Gemstone (1g80s/day per meta (VB,AB,TD,DS)) plus loot for salvage/sell.Silverwastes RIBA.PvP League Play gives raw gold upon completing a reward Milestone.Pact Supply Network Agents give Mapping Materials to use on maps for their unique rewards for completing events etc you can check the profits here (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward/profit)

I personally do “rare reward events” that take my fancy, just for the chance at something expensive (Choya Piñata, Tarir Meta, Tangled Depths Meta, Dwayna/Lyssa temples, etc) mix it up a bit.

Background: I hate hate hate farming. Absolutely despise it. But I have my Griffon, 9 full sets of Ascended armor (3 per Weight) and I’m working on my 10th crafted Legendary. 50g is a breeze!

Very recently ground this out myself. Look in your materials storage. Leather sells really well as does mid-tier cloths. I found I had accumulated 60 some-odd Mystic Coins and sold 50 of those and netted 40+ gold. Since then I've been addicted to salvaging and selling everything (including ectos) and I now make at least 10g/day depending on what I do. Now that I've replenished my gold reserves I'll probably shift to rebuilding my materials stocks.

Griffon is so worth it.

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:I personally do “rare reward events” that take my fancy, just for the chance at something expensive (Choya Piñata, Tarir Meta, Tangled Depths Meta, Dwayne/Lyssa temples, etc) mix it up a bit.I am just getting into the "Rare Rewards". Could I trouble you to list the big ones just for each of the events you listed? Perhaps I coudl get lucky...doubtful...but perhaps. :)

@Hypatia.3160 said:Very recently ground this out myself. Look in your materials storage. Leather sells really well as does mid-tier cloths. I found I had accumulated 60 some-odd Mystic Coins and sold 50 of those and netted 40+ gold. Since then I've been addicted to salvaging and selling everything (including ectos) and I now make at least 10g/day depending on what I do. Now that I've replenished my gold reserves I'll probably shift to rebuilding my materials stocks.

Griffon is so worth it.

I'll have to check my Mystic Coin stash...I made Mjollnir a while back...but haven't really used many since then...thanks for the tip! :)

So do you salvage all the drops and sell all the mats from a run, or do you sell certain levels and salvage then sell others?

@Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:I personally do “rare reward events” that take my fancy, just for the chance at something expensive (Choya Piñata, Tarir Meta, Tangled Depths Meta, Dwayne/Lyssa temples, etc) mix it up a bit.I am just getting into the "Rare Rewards". Could I trouble you to list the big ones just for each of the events you listed? Perhaps I coudl get lucky...doubtful...but perhaps. :)

That's the thing, it IS luck, but why no just do the event just because, if you've got time for it :tongue:

Tarir = Charged Quartz Amulet, has Vial of Liquid Aurillium inside it = 2500gTD = Charged Quartz Amulet, has Chak Egg Sac inside it = 10,000g+Choya Pinata = Festive Confetti infusion = 10,000g+Dwayna has a chance to drop Exotics, Star of Dwayna (69g), Dwayna's Embrace (95g) (Needed for collections)Lyssa Drops the Exotic All Seeing Eye = 125g

See these Exotics also;https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Treasure_Hunter#World_boss_chests

@Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209 said:So do you salvage all the drops and sell all the mats from a run, or do you sell certain levels and salvage then sell others?

Depends on how hectic things are. If I'm super tight on space I'll sell whatever loose mats I've got (I often grab whatever resources I run across) and do a spot check on whatever's in inventory. If a drop goes for better than potential mats+upgrades then I'll sell it without breaking it down. I'm still gearing up some alts so exotics may or may not be passed onto them unless they command a better than average price. I've had a bad string of luck breaking down rares so those get sold if they're within 2-3s of the cost of an ecto. Greens and blues are pretty much salvaged.

Won't claim my method is optimal but it fills my current needs.

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:That's the thing, it IS luck, but why no just do the event just because, if you've got time for it :tongue:

Tarir = Charged Quartz Amulet, has Vial of Liquid Aurillium inside it = 2500gTD = Charged Quartz Amulet, has Chak Egg Sac inside it = 10,000g+Choya Pinata = Festive Confetti infusion = 10,000g+Dwayna has a chance to drop Exotics, Star of Dwayna (69g), Dwayna's Embrace (95g) (Needed for collections)Lyssa Drops the Exotic All Seeing Eye = 125g

See these Exotics also;https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Treasure_Hunter#World_boss_chestsThanks for the link...yeah...I'm thinking the Confetti Infusion would instantly be sold...not my style...lol

That Egg Sac probably woudl too...although you could make a really sweet "Flash" outfit using it... =)

Auric basin, tangled depths metas - they're the quickest of the HoT metas and the amalgamated gemstones sell for almost 2 gold each. Auric basin has a lot more loot. Salvage everything. Sell your materials or deposit all and sell when you get a whole stack. If you're lucky you can get a rare reward like the above poster mentioned. I've seen someone get a precursor out of auric basin chests.

Verdant Brink and Dragon stand take longer but are both worth doing too if you want to switch it up some.Istan palawadan and great hall farming are pretty popular right now. Farm for volatile magic (requires the mastery) and buy crates of trophies, sell the mats.The best way to make money from silverwastes is to run around and do the events, saving all your bags until you're done. Then put those bags on a level 54-57 alt and open them there, salvage everything, sell the mats. 64 embroidered coin purses, 25 bags of gear and 15 noxious seed pouches were what I got from one full cycle and that gave me about 8 gold.

Other than that, fractals were mentioned, I'd try to do bosses like tequatl once a day as well. One always happens at reset, so it's easy to remember. Get there about 30 minutes early!

@Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209 said:I'll have to check my Mystic Coin stash...I made Mjollnir a while back...but haven't really used many since then...thanks for the tip! :)

So do you salvage all the drops and sell all the mats from a run, or do you sell certain levels and salvage then sell others?

I recommend using gw2efficiency. You can create an API key on your GW2 account page and put it in there. The tool has a tab for your material storage and shows the value of your items without you having to hover over each of them. You probably have stuff there that you don't need and can sell for 50 gold.

Salvaging or selling? I always salvage everything below exotics, and most of the exotics too. After a Tarir meta, it would probably take 15 minutes to check prices for all the stuff you got. Instead of spending that time on the trading post, I just salvage all, it only takes a second or so. I get ectoplasm that goes right into my material storage. In my opinion, sorting and selling yellow gear is a waste of time.

@Sila.6748 said:Istan palawadan and great hall farming are pretty popular right now. Farm for volatile magic (requires the mastery) and buy crates of trophies, sell the mats.To be clear, Palawadan/Great Hall/Akili champ and chest farming is profitable (in the upwards of 20 gold per hour range) even without the volatile magic mastery from all the unidentified gear.

Buy gems and convert it to gold. Easiest option.

Each to their own but having a child, job and various life things going on, I personally don't want to waste precious gaming time on grinding or farming.

Also go to https://gw2efficiency.com/ - Go to Material Storage and get an idea on what MATS you want to sell off, that website will give you the price of what you can sell your MATS for just like in the picture below. (obviously I did mine recently, and you gain these passively by playing the game how you enjoy it without a need to grind/farm)

LYRnxuJ.jpg

ok...wow...gw2efficiency made it easy to see what i have...thanks for the tips on that one! (Just as a side note...apparently I am sitting on 496 Mystic coins...so I have plenty to sell at the current buy price of @1G each and get my 50 Gold...lol Heck I have enough stuff in basic mats to sell off to get the 50 gold. This thing is awesome.)

Do you guys set it for all permissions like it asks when you do your API Key?

@Hypatia.3160 said:Very recently ground this out myself. Look in your materials storage. Leather sells really well as does mid-tier cloths. I found I had accumulated 60 some-odd Mystic Coins and sold 50 of those and netted 40+ gold. Since then I've been addicted to salvaging and selling everything (including ectos) and I now make at least 10g/day depending on what I do. Now that I've replenished my gold reserves I'll probably shift to rebuilding my materials stocks.

Griffon is so worth it.

Def agree with this -- look in your materials storage. I was banking Mystic Coins for no other reason than auto-depositing was the easiest, and I had 250 of them, which I never use. Sold half of them. Gold in the bank.

My "Thank You" post.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I got my Griffon and am now doing events and bounties and such to xp-up the masteries. (I got plenty of those points, just gotta get in the game time. :) )

Top things I am taking away from this thread:

1. GW2 Efficency is an awesome tool.
  2. Palawadan/Great Hall/Akili champ and chest farming are good ways to make some in-game gold.
  3. SW is still viable to make some in-game gold.
  4. "I personally do “rare reward events” that take my fancy, just for the chance at something expensive (Choya Piñata, Tarir Meta, Tangled Depths Meta, Dwayna/Lyssa temples, etc) mix it up a bit." Check out the list of items back up in the thread from Haleydawn. Thanks again for the info!

Thanks again to all.

I'll post a pic of me and my Griffon this evening. You all helped make it happen. Feel free to reach out to me in game for help with an achievement, quest, guild hall claiming, etc.

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:I've heard that two of the best ways to make gold are playing the TP and ecto gambling. The first one requires a strong economic sense, and the second one is all luck based, but I've seen videos and posts that show that they work. Good luck!

The best way to lose your gold is ecto gambling. The public picture is skewed because it's mostly those who won that post videos, and those who lose (majority) rarely do that.

Archived