New WvW Masteries.

babazhook.6805

It was suggested by BEN that we start a thread where we suggested updates to masteries or new masteries for WvW. I think any Idea fair game and would like to see this started. This just a start hopefully sparking some new ideas.

Siege maintenance mastery. 5 ranks is max. for every 1 rank in this mastery SIEGE is reset for an additional 12 minutes when resetting.

Master siege disabler. Increase duration that siege disabled by 10 seconds per rank (max 5 ranks).

Range mastery. Increase range of all siege by 50 units per rank (5 ranks max)

Control Mastery . For every rank in this skill increase rate at which control of camps/lords rooms etc flip by 2 percent (maximum 5 ranks)

Other ideas. Allow a player to seize control of another teams siege so they can turn it against them. Allow players to steal supplies from an enemy supply dump even if the location still controlled by the other team.

Consider COMMANDER only masteries such as Any person in Given Commaders squad gains a movement speed increase. Any person in Commanders squad can carry 5 more supply. Any Person in Commanders squad gains +5 percent resitance to siege weapon attacks and so on. Limit this mastery to one per commander meaning a Commander can not train in all of them and must choose which he will use or activate.

I'd rather see all wvw masteries scrapped entirely and the max benefit of each being the new standard for everyone. Why have a system to deter new players? Make the points buy access to something that doesn't give you a game play benefit like fancy skins or something.

@Celsith.2753 said:I'd rather see all wvw masteries scrapped entirely and the max benefit of each being the new standard for everyone. Why have a system to deter new players? Make the points buy access to something that doesn't give you a game play benefit like fancy skins or something.

No I would not like that system at all. One of the reasons I play the game is to get more stuff/skills with an investment of time. I really never saw the fact I may have started a character new to that mode and had to hve him earn those points as discouraging. I saw it as an incentive to play more. Most successful games follow this model be it for acquiring more levels , better gear or more skills.

As example imagine pen and paper dungeouns and dragons. The real FUN in that game is gaining the next level , learning those new skills when one levels up and finding those Weapons of Doom or armors , rings and cloaks. The game would never hve been access if all this stuff available out of the gate to everyone.

Here is some low-bar masteries that I think would be nice bonus while not being a game changer:

• Siege aim mastery - speeds up siege aiming (left-right) for cats, trebs and mortar. Additional idea could provide some form of target indicator to help visualize how long you need to hold down fire. Theme would be to make it easier to operate siege without increasing their damage.
  • Commander mastery - reduce supply cost of supply prints by a tiny amount. Additional idea could be a rare random chance for tactic drop or account bound siege prints from kills when commanding with +5 people. Theme would be to encourage commanding in similar away that commander bonus pip but without impacting the economy.

@Celsith.2753 said:I'd rather see all wvw masteries scrapped entirely and the max benefit of each being the new standard for everyone. Why have a system to deter new players? Make the points buy access to something that doesn't give you a game play benefit like fancy skins or something.

where isthe new players? if there is new players WVW wouldnt be dying. u need carrot to keep ppl playing which is why u need special abilities. If they do it like the other games abilities u earn from wvw can also be used in pve u will see wvw map queue 24/7

@Limodriver.4106 said:

where isthe new players? if there is new players WVW wouldnt be dying. u need carrot to keep ppl playing which is why u need special abilities. If they do it like the other games abilities u earn from wvw can also be used in pve u will see wvw map queue 24/7

Considering so many of have thousands of unused points, it'd be instant carrot for us and yet more stick for any newbie.

What carrot? I'm rank 10k. I'll just tick the extra checkboxes and carry on as usual. Instant gratification yay?

I get the want to see progression, I really do. When I pve if I have no goal to work towards it's unrewarding. And it has no influence on my game experience whatsoever in pve if someone else has fancier shinies or more masteries. I'm not competing with them.

But in wvw where we are competing with other players I feel that power creep should be kept to a minimum. Limodriver, you ask where the new players are. Do you have nameplates turned on? Because every day I see tons and tons of silver or lower ranked players, many even that haven't hit bronze. It's daunting enough when you are trying to get into wvw to know you have all that pve to get ascended trinkets, leveling crafting to be able to buy the none sublime ascended with marks, getting the necessary wvw masteries such as gliding and auto loot.

This is why i'm an advocate of making our progression be in the shape of skins to show off, maybe even skins for towers or yaks that we can give to our guilds, something that says, 'hey I spent a lot of time here', rather than, 'I grinded so now I win'.

Archived