Implementing anonymity in PVP

Abelisk.4527

Hello everyone, having recently played WVW (I rarely play it), I came to realize something pretty cool in that game mode: anonymity. Enemy players have their names hidden and usernames hidden via the report feature. Additionally you can't speak or hear from the enemy team.

Conquest/Stronghold having anonymity would imo reduce toxicity and let players focus on their teams. You won't get PMed or emailed by a player because you stomped them all game.

Instead, replace their names with tiers similar to World vs. World e.g. Recruit, Soldier, Legend, Silver Recruit, Platinum Legend, etc. But idk if those exact names should be used. Wouldn't really matter as long as there's anonymity.

No more wintrading by giving players a handsome amount of gold, since PMing/mailing directly to the opposite team would be disabled.

Wouldn't hurt right? If there are any cons regarding this I would like to know.

I wouldn't mind that at all, but since whispering triggered people don't usually interest me in the first place I also don't care too much if it gets implemented.

However I am gonna stick around this thread so I can watch all the clever "lul, stop being touchy, Iul, just block, lul, grow a pair, lul" people.

I never understood why Anet didn’t just create a temporary block list for all players on the enemy team in WvW.

Just to prevent cross team communication while in WvW. Party invites are fine it’s the whispering that poses an issue.

For sPvP it wouldn’t be a terrible idea but people tend to recognize players who are good and having a personal reputation can matter to some people.

I’d keep the ability to know who you are playing with and against but limit chat options cross team.

@saerni.2584 said:I never understood why Anet didn’t just create a temporary block list for all players on the enemy team in WvW.

Just to prevent cross team communication while in WvW. Party invites are fine it’s the whispering that poses an issue.

For sPvP it wouldn’t be a terrible idea but people tend to recognize players who are good and having a personal reputation can matter to some people.

I’d keep the ability to know who you are playing with and against but limit chat options cross team.

Was thinking the same thing regarding good player recognition. However, it's probably better to gauge how good a player is when they're on your team especially since your team is (preferably) built around a workable comp. If you (a necro) played against another good necro you'd acknowledge them but probably not queue with them since you are already one (unless you played support).

@Abelisk.4527 said:Hello everyone, having recently played WVW (I rarely play it), I came to realize something pretty cool in that game mode: anonymity. Enemy players have their names hidden and usernames hidden via the report feature. Additionally you can't speak or hear from the enemy team.

Conquest/Stronghold having anonymity would imo reduce toxicity and let players focus on their teams. You won't get PMed or emailed by a player because you stomped them all game.

Instead, replace their names with tiers similar to World vs. World e.g. Recruit, Soldier, Legend, Silver Recruit, Platinum Legend, etc. But idk if those exact names should be used. Wouldn't really matter as long as there's anonymity.

No more wintrading by giving players a handsome amount of gold, since PMing/mailing directly to the opposite team would be disabled.

Wouldn't hurt right? If there are any cons regarding this I would like to know.

I've often thought about this myself. The easy way to fix it would be to simply make it so when a player reports another player, they cannot see who it is. This way when a player sets themselves to offline, there is no way that another player can figure out their account name. For me personally, this would be great while practicing classes I don't normally play.

I personally don't feel it should go as far as not being able to see character names however, such as in wvw. A big part of what makes pvp colorful, is being able to identify the competitive community and their reputations. Remember that if players were completely unable to identify or contact each other, although it may lower toxicity, it would also prevents making new acquaintances. I believe that in the long run, such blockading of general communication & identification would cause more damage than it would help, driving many players away from the game mode.

Turn your chat off like every other solo queue ranked player lol

I dont pull that stuff but man I love being on the recieving end of a dead enemy, it means not only did I beat them but I also hurt thier ego, happens quite a bit when playing Tempest or Trap Druid.

The downside to your suggestion would be recognition..Eg: playing unranked and see a Naru alt on the other team, usually means to warn the team to stay away from him or tackle him in a group of 3.

Archived