Take the island expeditions idea from them just like they took the fractals idea

For some online RPGs that have been struggling with repeatable content random regeneration have always been a very effective solution NR and GR in Diablo 3 , underground in The Division 1 are the most obvious examples, i think that a mode like that could have a huge potential if A-net decided to create their own version of it since the game has many varied environments and settings as well as enemy types, what i am talking about is a mode similar to the island expeditions from wow and for the rewards they can introduce it as a T4 fractal but one that is designed to be repeated and farmed over and over in a single play session so it would give gold from encryption as well as a chance to gear up alts with ascended relying more on RNG along side crafting, but honestly what such mode would really introduce is a good face-roll activity that you can do while listening to podcast or music because not all players are always in the mode for a challenge (and i know that for hardcore players t4 are a face-roll activity i am talking about the majority of the player base) and not all players have their friends or guild mates online 100% of the time, and right now the only activity in the game that does that is meta farming which is nice but doesn't require anything more than the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 rotation, what i am talking about is a relatively easy activity that still requires doing actual damage maybe make the monsters a bit more tanky and make them focus the character with the highest toughness and with that he will need a dedicated healer to give players a good idea to what to expect from raids but in this case they can use many different build to fill different roles as the activity is much more forgiving , so what i am asking for is basically 5-man randomly generated dungeon-like instance utilizing the loads of good looking zones in the open world that can make great instances for an activity like that and are currently useless after exploring them once (unless they are related to some achievement or meta event) and also utilizing the loads of different creatures and enemy types and even bosses in the game (after altering the mechanics that was related to the place they used to spawn in and generally optimizing them to be able to spawn in different areas) . I wanted to know your opinions about this . Thank you .

I would definitely be interested in something like this, as I enjoyed Rifts in D3 for quite some time as well.While I don't enjoy open world zerg (and lagg) fests, sometimes some semi mindless farming can be kind of fun. If it still provides some level of challenge, and values individual contribution, some semi randomly generated instanced content on the difficulty of T4 Fractals or slightly lower could be a blast.

What I always hoped Anet would do, is to take some of the fitting Story Missions from Living World, and turn them into much harder, with potentially slightly randomized encounters, 5 man repeatable content.Make them as easy to join as Fractals, or a sub menu of Fractals, maybe as quickjoin, with the instance being randomly selected instead of chosen as not to spread people out too thin once a lot of them are added, and I think a system like that could be pretty big for the game.The effort to convert some of the Story missions this way shouldn't be extremely much, while providing massive amounts of repeatable content for the community, sort of like Strikes in Destiny.

I should tell you that the majority of wows community hate the expeditions. Other than that, I wouldnt mind something like a horde mode PvE map where you basically got rewards for every tier you successfully beat. Fractals can be farmed quite well but I honestly cant stand repeating the same fractal over and over and over and over...

Firstly let me complinent you for this very well written post. I would not be agaist such an idea (and I am one of those "hardcore players" that effortlesly clear t4s eventhough i am nowhere near the top)

There are 2 problems.1) I wouldnt place it in t4s fractals but another lfg slot altogether since lfg would be more crowded with 2 totaly separate type of players and content

2) anet clearly stated that tgey are against party-based content that is reapeated when they reworked molten bodd fractal. I was in a guild that was specialized at fractal 40 farming and even with that level of preparation and commitment (~1:50 per run) we had it was only slightly more profitable then farming silverwastes. Normal pug parties (~3 minutes) couldnt reach same ammount of profit as players farming silverwastes.Yet anet decided that fractals are content that is supposed to be cleared only once each day and so tgey changed it. They would go against their decision if they relesed fractal like this.

@"ButcherofMalakir.4067" said:Firstly let me complinent you for this very well written post. I would not be agaist such an idea (and I am one of those "hardcore players" that effortlesly clear t4s eventhough i am nowhere near the top)

There are 2 problems.1) I wouldnt place it in t4s fractals but another lfg slot altogether since lfg would be more crowded with 2 totaly separate type of players and content

2) anet clearly stated that tgey are against party-based content that is reapeated when they reworked molten bodd fractal. I was in a guild that was specialized at fractal 40 farming and even with that level of preparation and commitment (~1:50 per run) we had it was only slightly more profitable then farming silverwastes. Normal pug parties (~3 minutes) couldnt reach same ammount of profit as players farming silverwastes.Yet anet decided that fractals are content that is supposed to be cleared only once each day and so tgey changed it. They would go against their decision if they relesed fractal like this.

Thank you for the compliment, you are actually right in they shouldn't release it as a T4 fractal, yet i think a randomized instance is very different from repeating the same exact short instance but if they are against the whole 5 players farm concept in general that would be really unfortunate, because for me personally the idea looked very good as I don't really care about progression, I play wow to scratch that itch what i like in Gw2 is the gameplay loop and one of my favorite parts of it since vanilla was stacking to melt monsters in dungeons (and i think i am not alone), so i thought why not make a mode that is all based around this particular aspect of combat in the game and make it randomized so it would have a good replay value, but honestly though I don't really care about the rewards nor the form it would be introduced in the game, I just want to see a more organised "chill" activity in the game because meta events are too messy and ideas like easy raids are honestly just yukky .

@dark pain.4719 said:

@"ButcherofMalakir.4067" said:Firstly let me complinent you for this very well written post. I would not be agaist such an idea (and I am one of those "hardcore players" that effortlesly clear t4s eventhough i am nowhere near the top)

Thank you for the compliment, you are actually right in they shouldn't release it as a T4 fractal, yet i think a randomized instance is very different from repeating the same exact short instance but if they are against the whole 5 players farm concept in general that would be really unfortunate, because for me personally the idea looked very good as I don't really care about progression, I play wow to scratch that itch what i like in Gw2 is the gameplay loop and one of my favorite parts of it since vanilla was stacking to melt monsters in dungeons (and i think i am not alone), so i thought why not make a mode that is all based around this particular aspect of combat in the game and make it randomized so it would have a good replay value, but honestly though I don't really care about the rewards nor the form it would be introduced in the game, I just want to see a more organised "chill" activity in the game because meta events are too messy and ideas like easy raids are honestly just yukky .

You are right that this is something diferent. I guess i was trying to illustrate a point. "Problem" with gw2 combat is that dps rises exponentialy with skill. Because of stacking modifiers damage of a dps player in raids is even 6times higher then dps of 1 zerg player in meta events.If you have 50 hardcore raiders or 50 "casual players" in meta event both of the parties will probably manage to clear the boss but one will be faster. That doesnt matter because bosses are timegated so loot can be compared.

If you create a encounter where you cannot just "cheat" difficulty with numbers and this encountercan ve reapeted than the diference in time will grow larger with each clear.

Then you have a sittuation where either it is not proffitable for effortless kills or it is way too proffitable for those who tryhard.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:Firstly let me complinent you for this very well written post. I would not be agaist such an idea (and I am one of those "hardcore players" that effortlesly clear t4s eventhough i am nowhere near the top)

You are right that this is something diferent. I guess i was trying to illustrate a point. "Problem" with gw2 combat is that dps rises exponentialy with skill. Because of stacking modifiers damage of a dps player in raids is even 6times higher then dps of 1 zerg player in meta events.If you have 50 hardcore raiders or 50 "casual players" in meta event both of the parties will probably manage to clear the boss but one will be faster. That doesnt matter because bosses are timegated so loot can be compared.

If you create a encounter where you cannot just "cheat" difficulty with numbers and this encountercan ve reapeted than the diference in time will grow larger with each clear.

Then you have a sittuation where either it is not proffitable for effortless kills or it is way too proffitable for those who tryhard.

You see that is why I should have mentioned that although i am a GW2 veteran I am a casual veteran so that just went over my head and I won't try to understand it , I just want my randomized instances :D :D :D .

@dark pain.4719 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:Firstly let me complinent you for this very well written post. I would not be agaist such an idea (and I am one of those "hardcore players" that effortlesly clear t4s eventhough i am nowhere near the top)

You see that is why I should have mentioned that although i am a GW2 veteran I am a casual veteran so that just went over my head and I won't try to understand it , I just want my randomized instances :D :D :D .

Example:Hardcore party (HC): cleares in 15 minutesCasual party (CC): clears in 60 minutes

Case 1: 20g per clear, 1 hour farmingCC will get 20 gold which is ok gold for time spentHC will get 80g which is enormous and will colapse the economy

Case 2: 7 gold per clearHC will get 28 which is decent gold for time in Hardcore modes (great for repeatable ones)CC will get 7 gold which will not feel reqardinf at all

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

Example:Hardcore party (HC): cleares in 15 minutesCasual party (CC): clears in 60 minutes

Case 1: 20g per clear, 1 hour farmingCC will get 20 gold which is ok gold for time spentHC will get 80g which is enormous and will colapse the economy

Case 2: 7 gold per clearHC will get 28 which is decent gold for time in Hardcore modes (great for repeatable ones)CC will get 7 gold which will not feel reqardinf at all

I don't think that the gap would be as big as a rate of 1:4 clear time, I guess that if everybody used the same comps it wouldn't be economy breaking, even if casual players were using unoptimized off-meta builds after all we are talking about a moderate difficulty instance that is designed to be cleared in 10 mins or so .

@dark pain.4719 said:

I don't think that the gap would be as big as a rate of 1:4 clear time, I guess that if everybody used the same comps it wouldn't be economy breaking, even if casual players were using unoptimized off-meta builds after all we are talking about a moderate difficulty instance that is designed to be cleared in 10 mins or so .

It would, very likely even bigger.

Speed clear groups clear dungeons in 3-4 minutes and raid bosses in 2-3 minutes. Normal raid boss clears are vastly slower, and those normal players are already miles beyond what any non raid player is capable of.

What most players who never tried to optimize their performance do not realize, when you maximize your stats, your damage, your efficiency: this game changes drastically. Multiplicative bonuses at the top end just push this even further.

There are work arounds obviously, rewards limited per hour or day would be one way(other MMOs have system like this in place to limit the rewards achievable and keep balance in check).

@Jemmi.6058 said:Please do not introduce island expeditions here. They were the ultimate bore. Honestly, 90% of the reason I unsubbed from WoW was how terrible they were.

It probably won't happen for the reasons explained above. But if it did, surely it's obvious that ANet's implementation wouldn't be anything like WoW's. (Not saying you'd like it, just that it's worth keeping an open mind about what it might mean for GW2.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Jemmi.6058 said:Please do not introduce island expeditions here. They were the ultimate bore. Honestly, 90% of the reason I unsubbed from WoW was how terrible they were.

It probably won't happen for the reasons explained above. But if it did, surely it's obvious that ANet's implementation wouldn't be anything like WoW's. (Not saying you'd like it, just that it's worth keeping an open mind about what it might mean for GW2.)

Fair enough. I was very excited for them, so it's possible ANet would do a better job. What I liked in theory about them was the exploratory aspect, what I hated was the mindless grind. ANet rocks the exploration, so possible they'd rock this too.

@Jemmi.6058 said:

Fair enough. I was very excited for them, so it's possible ANet would do a better job. What I liked in theory about them was the exploratory aspect, what I hated was the mindless grind. ANet rocks the exploration, so possible they'd rock this too.

When ANet does well, they do very very well. (When they do poorly, it can be horrid.)

When ANet does well, they do very very well. (When they do poorly, it can be horrid.)

Yes exactly mounts are a good example of well , new mistlocks are a good example of poor .

• 2 weeks later...

Anet could do the exact same thing as wows island expidtions as long as they did 2 things.

1. Make it a non requirement for actual gameplay

2. Put unique mounts/minis/tmog that represents the mobs you are killing.

Because island are a required aspect of the game they get boring because you hm HAVE to do them, and you kinda have to do a lot.

The transmog gear that they added to islands are pretty much the same ones that most people already have just a different color. I would farm the hell out of them if i could get a murlock themed transmog from them.

Archived