Sorry, this is pretty, but functionally worse. Warning: snarky opinions inside.

Gwydeon.3580

White space? Wow do we got white space. Just what the forums needed, more wasted screen, oh and high contrasting Red text and black tags right under bright red text. That won't hurt anyone's eyes. How about you put bright blue behind it... Oh, and while I'm typing, why don you throw a in-window popup telling me you saved it. Right there where I'm working, not off to the side where I might miss it. Oh and lets give people markdown support so they can make their posts even more obtuse. Want to change something I said, correct a typo? Too bad, 15 minutes have passed. I'm sure someone sold someone else on this somehow passively improving posts due to the increased responsibility. I hear we can see the names of everyone who votes on our posts too! I have popcorn cooking for the repercussions of that, if true.

I'm sorry, I doubt I'm alone in thinking that I don't like this at all and want you to go back.

This is going to make it harder to read, harder to navigate.... its harder for my eyes flow from one 'discussion' title to next.

At least give us some option to condense this all, please.

I think it would be nice to have a few different options for forum color schemes to fit what people like. There could be this that we could call the default, then a dark one (with light text on a dark background). You could also expand on this and have a scheme for certain aspects of the game (Central Tyria scheme, one for HoT, and one for PoF).

I don't think what we have is bad, but I like the idea of having options for the people who don't like it. Forums often utilize things of this nature.

Can't edit my post, but I can post again. So instead of updating the info at the top of the thread, I'm going to bump it. ..

I've been scanning and all posts from Arena seem to be defending it or saying they can't add such-and-such feature.

Maybe if there is enough of a backlash they will revert it or provide the functional aspects we are requesting.

I'm a little concerned about the fact that changing the colors to be less eye [Draft Saved at 7:02] piercingly stark is completely off the table and 'can't' was used.

I didn't feel that way before, because we had a lot more text on the screen at a time.

Honestly the more I look over this, the more I think it looks like a showcase for these class icons, and the icons of the TPTB whom get their own special icons. Is this art from the forum team? I smell a gem sink in the works. Animated Icon? 300 gems.

I'm not sure we're seeing the same thing here... there's significantly less unused white space on this board than the old one.

The red may be high contrast, but it's not really eye killing contrast... If anything they should just darken the red text up rather than add blue under it... red on top of blue is actually even harder on the eyes than high contrast red on top of white.

Being able to see who voted up/down on a post is actually a good thing in the long run. The personal accountability it creates ultimately results in a more positive use of the voting system and eliminates the use of up/down votes for trolling. Hopefully it's only disabled temporarily while they try to reduce the avatar clutter from it.

The 15 minute edit restriction is definitely a problem though...

I actually like most of the new forum design. This includes markdown, for better stylization.I, however, agree completely with you in regards to the "draft saved" window right smack in the middle of your screen ever minute, and also the fact that you can't edit your post until a good chunk of time after you've posted it, leaving you unable to correct embarrassing spelling or grammar errors.

@Shaaba.5672 said:This forum right now is form over function. I am willing to cut some slack and hope they can tweak it based on feedback.

If it's form over function, the functions must be nonexistant. The forums look horrible, loss of function, impossible to read shit because everything just blurs together. What is with every big company doing "upgrades" but making it worse?

This white space thing has been a growing industry trend. I'll bet it's born of google data and psych research. [Draft saved at 7:11]

There all trying to out sleek each other, we are the ones who suffer from their war.

There are rewards for thumb ups. Thumb Up Grinding is now a thing... YOU CAN GRIND THE FORUMS NOW!

Also "TUGing" is now a thing I have named.

Also I guess the mark down isn't that big of an issue. Looking over it, they can't color the text or do too much flash with the options. Maybe it will only provide us with better laid out guide/tutorial posts.

@Panda.1967 said:The red may be high contrast, but it's not really eye killing contrast... If anything they should just darken the red text up rather than add blue under it... red on top of blue is actually even harder on the eyes than high contrast red on top of white.

whooosh

I think this was his point.

The red on it's own isn't bad, but it is jarring to jump from black to grey to red to black. that's what I mean about form over function. Red on white looks clean. The painterly strokes separating the posts is aesthetically pleasing and fits their art direction. The member name above the post instead of in the margin makes the avatars pop. Each on it's own is a nice element, but when it's put together it's less easy to follow than the old forums, which weren't as pretty. I'll take function over form.

@Juba.8406 said:This new forum is horrible also hard on the eye and hard to navigate.

I wonder what was wrong with the old ?! , it was perfect.

That totally sums up the "upgrade".I suggest a crash course about usability for your webmaster.On a forum I don't look for new ways to water my eyes but for information/discussions in a compact and efficient way.TLDR: Sorry Anet, this new version is a mess.

@Azoqu.8917 said:What is with every big company doing "upgrades" but making it worse?

The old forums were custom tailored and the company behind them abandoned their own software, which is why ArenaNet has been unable to change them. These new forums are generic that ArenaNet has attempted to skin themselves and are likely still trying to do (they wanted it ASAP for PoF). They must be using screen protectors / dark screens however, for them to use bright red text. ESO for example is also using this forum software, but they have it styled to be condensed, like the old forums.

Well ESO's version is definitely going to use less battery life. Thank you for being informed and sharing Healix. Hopefully our [Draft saved at 12:46 AM] caterwauling will be for nothing and they will be able make options or changes. Maybe [Draft saved at 12:47 AM] this is what we get. Meh the forums are not life, but the wait for our mounts is real.

Archived