People manage to join closed squad without invite — Guild Wars 2 Forums

People manage to join closed squad without invite

SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

I noticed some people able to join squad despite only invited can join. I am sure it is some kind of bug exploit because is always the same person.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

Comments

• It’s always been this way if you use ‘joinsquad (commander name) thingy. Not saying it’s not an issue, but it’s not new,
    We have certain players on enemy servers who do it to disrupt certain commanders, the best current containment is to lock subgroups
    so they are stuck in the ‘lobby’ subgroup 1. Then assign a really tenacious kicker......
    A fix would be great but don’t hold your breath.

• Zephyra.4709Zephyra.4709 Member ✭✭✭

Can they still join if you block them?

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭
    • enable invite only
    • enable confirmation to join squad

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

• @Zephyra.4709 said:
    Can they still join if you block them?

Yes.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019

@steki.1478 said:

• enable invite only
    • enable confirmation to join squad

I did some testing using these options and couldn't replicate the issue. The options as written the party menu are

• Private Squad
    • Allow uninvited players to join? No.

I tried using /join and /sqjoin, using the leader's character name and display ID. Also tried right clicking.
    I couldn't think of any other way to get the UI to allow the option.

There's an option for "Allow Members to Send Invites." @SkyShroud.2865: is there any chance that one of your squad members is inviting this player? (Hopefully not, since that's a much more annoying sort of "bug" than a problem with the game's code.) You could try checking it to see if the issue goes away and proceed as needed from there.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can confirm. We had players joining a squad that i created that was both invite only, and a private squad.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019

@Dante.1763 said:
    I can confirm. We had players joining a squad that i created that was both invite only, and a private squad.

And what about "allow members to send invites"?

and were these randoms following you guys around the map? or other guildies or...?

(I"m getting really curious about how this was done.)

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

And what about "allow members to send invites"?

and were these randoms following you guys around the map? or other guildies or...?

(I"m getting really curious about how this was done.)

Was turned off. I had complete control of the squad, and two randoms on the map kept getting in, never bothered asking how, we ended up dissolving the squad and starting over. Neither where guildies, and from what i could see they werent following. One was at the starting WP and the other near a camp. It stopped after i left the squad, creating a leaderless squad, and came back, taking the squad over once more.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• @Dante.1763 said:
    Was turned off. I had complete control of the squad, and two randoms on the map kept getting in, never bothered asking how, we ended up dissolving the squad and starting over. Neither where guildies, and from what i could see they werent following. One was at the starting WP and the other near a camp. It stopped after i left the squad, creating a leaderless squad, and came back, taking the squad over once more.

Thanks for the details.

In the first case, does that mean that Dorito might have been visible briefly? Maybe there's some unexpected mechanical difference or having been able to invite themselves once, they remained eligible despite changing the toggles. In my testing, the bubble of invisibility went up before the attempted joiners entered the map, so I'll try changing the order up; maybe it's reproducible.

Hopefully your work-around is 100% reliable, since it would be easy for people to manage. (Especially since many private tags have been using that trick for a while.)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.