Cost of 2000 Gem Cards — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Cost of 2000 Gem Cards

I have noticed that over the past couple of months, the cost of Gem Cards from third party providers has nearly doubled in some cases. Is this because of a shortage or have the wholesale prices been increased?

Thanks

Comments

  • The price for 2000-Gem cards from authorized retailers is the same, $25.
    Other third-party resellers set their own prices, some more, some less.

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    The price for 2000-Gem cards from authorized retailers is the same, $25.
    Other third-party resellers set their own prices, some more, some less.

    That does not answer the question. Every online retailor has recently increased their prices. In some cases, it has nearly doubled.

  • ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Use a credit card. If you have to pay in foreign currency, use a Revolut CC.

  • @ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    Use a credit card. If you have to pay in foreign currency, use a Revolut CC.

    That does not answer the question either.

  • ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DaveyC.4398 said:

    @ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    Use a credit card. If you have to pay in foreign currency, use a Revolut CC.

    That does not answer the question either.

    Yes, but what do you expect? People don't know why they are getting more expensive on third party sites. So that's why I jumped directly to the conclusion: use a CC. It's so much more convenient.

  • TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019

    The gem card price spiked during the anniversary sales. Some shops increased their prices and others just went out of stock. The issue is still ongoing.

    There might be a supply issue as well. Maybe ArenaNet is not supplying the merchants with enough gem card for them to resell. In combination with high demand during the recent sales, this can be the result.

    Here is a graph showing the price spike on a Dutch price tracker:
    https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/318195/guild-wars-2-gem-card-2000-pc.html

    Problem is also that the ArenaNet listed retailers are out of stock of gem cards as well:
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/
    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230890448

    ALL listed retailers for my country (The Netherlands) have zero gems in stock or stopped selling them altogether.
    Listed retailer Bol.com
    Listed retailer DLGamer
    Listed retailer Game Mania
    Listed retailer MediaMarkt (Wants to sell a washing machine instead)

    Ascalon Will Prevail!

    GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

  • @TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    The gem card price spiked during the anniversary sales. Some shops increased their prices and others just went out of stock. The issue is still ongoing.

    There might be a supply issue as well. Maybe ArenaNet is not supplying the merchants with enough gem card for them to resell. In combination with high demand during the recent sales, this can be the result.

    Here is a graph showing the price spike on a Dutch price tracker:
    https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/318195/guild-wars-2-gem-card-2000-pc.html

    Problem is also that the ArenaNet listed retailers are out of stock of gem cards as well:
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/retailers/
    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230890448

    ALL listed retailers for my country (The Netherlands) have zero gems in stock or stopped selling them altogether.

    That makes sense... If the authorised retailors do not have stock, it must be a supply issue rather than a price hike.

  • Not an issue here; the authorized retailers still have stock, and still sell at the same price.
    ArenaNet has nothing to do with unauthorized retailers and their prices.

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Not an issue here; the authorized retailers still have stock, and still sell at the same price.
    ArenaNet has nothing to do with unauthorized retailers and their prices.

    Arenanet are supplying the none authorised retailors. How are they getting the codes otherwise?

  • No, ArenaNet does not supply unauthorized retailers. If they did, then they would honor the codes when something goes wonky. They don't.

  • There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

    Most retail stores have a limited number of physical cards with codes on them to sell, many online retailers or anet them selves, just generate codes, no card shipped, so there is no limit to it's supply. Third party unauthorized sellers often have a limited number of cards or codes sold to them and have no ability to generate new ones, they can also be stolen, it's not uncommon for someone to work at a retail store and ring up a bunch of the cards (activating them), and then selling them off to 3rd party sellers. Not saying they are all that way, just saying it can happen, and if it does and anet removes the gems or items you bought with them because of this, they are not going to refund anything. The 3rd party sellers often get sells because of payment types they accept or countries they sell in that authorized sellers do not. So when the unauthorized sellers see a huge spike in sales that they know are going to deplete their inventory very quickly, they raise the prices, this slows how long it takes for them to go out of stock and makes them more money. Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

    "When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

  • TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:
    There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

    [...] Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

    Makes me still wonder why none of the officially listed Dutch retailers have any stock of gem cards.

    Ascalon Will Prevail!

    GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

  • @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

    @TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:
    There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

    [...] Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

    Makes me still wonder why none of the officially listed Dutch retailers have any stock of gem cards.

    Are these physical cards? Or online codes only?

    Physical cards can sell out by anyone, online codes should not. The only time online codes "sell out" are when a given retailer has a limit set on total sales that can be made, sometimes the dev/retailer contracts can be pretty complex.

    "When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

  • TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019

    @TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

    @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

    @TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:
    There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

    [...] Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

    Makes me still wonder why none of the officially listed Dutch retailers have any stock of gem cards.

    Are these physical cards? Or online codes only?

    Physical cards can sell out by anyone, online codes should not. The only time online codes "sell out" are when a given retailer has a limit set on total sales that can be made, sometimes the dev/retailer contracts can be pretty complex.

    These are physical cards. EAN 5060094443683. None are in stock and some listed retailers do not even have them listed anymore. I think that ArenaNet should update their list with retailers that actually sell them.

    Ascalon Will Prevail!

    GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

  • @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

    @TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

    @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

    @TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:
    There are many methods to get unauthorized gem cards or codes, much like computer hardware, Apple products etc etc, you have MANY places that are unauthorized still selling them. Same here.

    [...] Most authorized sellers have an agreement/contract with anet on how much they can sell a given card for and can not do this, however they often have the ability to generate new codes instantly and should technically never run out of stock.

    Makes me still wonder why none of the officially listed Dutch retailers have any stock of gem cards.

    Are these physical cards? Or online codes only?

    Physical cards can sell out by anyone, online codes should not. The only time online codes "sell out" are when a given retailer has a limit set on total sales that can be made, sometimes the dev/retailer contracts can be pretty complex.

    These are physical cards. EAN 5060094443683. None are in stock and some listed retailers do not even have them listed anymore. I think that ArenaNet should update their list with retailers that actually sell them.

    Yeah, probably out of stock then. It's also not uncommon for some retailers to keep an item listed for some time after they no longer carry the item, I have had this happen a few times looking for something myself, waiting for it to come into stock, and then emailing the retailer after a few months and have them say "sorry, we no longer carry this item".

    "When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

  • altermaven.7385altermaven.7385 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2019

    The 2000 gem card items are no longer in circulation. There are shops that now sell the 1200 / $15 gem cards, and have been for some time. I'm certain there are equivalents in other currencies, but the 2000 gem cards are no longer being made. Those who still have 2000 gem cards are either holding back stock or are attempting to resell them. I would not lightly trust these 2000 gem cards, as their value is higher than actual formula of 400 / $5 general cadence, and you might risk getting an unusable card.

    Helpdesking rodent hailing from Skrittsylvania.
    Roaming skritt needs caffeine badly.
    Oldschool electronic music enthusiast who also likes Autechre.

  • The 2000 Gem Cards are in-stock here, and sell for exactly what is printed on them: $25.
    If you see cards without the printed price on them, then you can be wary.

  • @altermaven.7385 said:
    The 2000 gem card items are no longer in circulation. There are shops that now sell the 1200 / $15 gem cards, and have been for some time. I'm certain there are equivalents in other currencies, but the 2000 gem cards are no longer being made. Those who still have 2000 gem cards are either holding back stock or are attempting to resell them. I would not lightly trust these 2000 gem cards, as their value is higher than actual formula of 400 / $5 general cadence, and you might risk getting an unusable card.

    Is that legitiment information confirmed by Arenanet?

  • @DaveyC.4398 said:

    @altermaven.7385 said:
    The 2000 gem card items are no longer in circulation. There are shops that now sell the 1200 / $15 gem cards, and have been for some time. I'm certain there are equivalents in other currencies, but the 2000 gem cards are no longer being made. Those who still have 2000 gem cards are either holding back stock or are attempting to resell them. I would not lightly trust these 2000 gem cards, as their value is higher than actual formula of 400 / $5 general cadence, and you might risk getting an unusable card.

    Is that legitiment information confirmed by Arenanet?

    It is not.

  • Can someone from the company respond please?

  • Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If you want ArenaNet to respond, ask them via support ticket.

  • @Ben K.6238 said:
    If you want ArenaNet to respond, ask them via support ticket.

    They monitor the forums, I can wait...

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DaveyC.4398 said:

    @Ben K.6238 said:
    If you want ArenaNet to respond, ask them via support ticket.

    They monitor the forums, I can wait...

    The people that monitor the forum wont have anything to do with prices for gem cards tho so wont answer.

  • @DaveyC.4398 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Not an issue here; the authorized retailers still have stock, and still sell at the same price.
    ArenaNet has nothing to do with unauthorized retailers and their prices.

    Arenanet are supplying the none authorised retailors. How are they getting the codes otherwise?

    mostly shady ways. Like buying from authorised retailers using stolen credit cards, then reselling on all those nice '3rd party market place' websites.

    in short: don't buy on websites.

  • @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:

    @DaveyC.4398 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Not an issue here; the authorized retailers still have stock, and still sell at the same price.
    ArenaNet has nothing to do with unauthorized retailers and their prices.

    Arenanet are supplying the none authorised retailors. How are they getting the codes otherwise?

    mostly shady ways. Like buying from authorised retailers using stolen credit cards, then reselling on all those nice '3rd party market place' websites.

    in short: don't buy on websites.

    Wrong - Genuine game key wholesalers have them in bulk. I have looked into starting a retailor before. These keys where something I specifically asked the retailor at the time.

  • Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Linken.6345 said:

    @DaveyC.4398 said:

    @Ben K.6238 said:
    If you want ArenaNet to respond, ask them via support ticket.

    They monitor the forums, I can wait...

    The people that monitor the forum wont have anything to do with prices for gem cards tho so wont answer.

    Indeed. The staff responsible for moderating the forums do not respond to queries - they may notify someone of the question but that'd be the exception rather than the rule. There have been close to 100 threads posted in this forum within the last month, and two posts by ANet staff in that period. Given that this is a question about third-party providers, I'd wager this thread will never receive any response just like the vast majority of others.

    If you want public responses, feel free to post in public forums. If you want to hear back from ANet, contact them directly.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2019

    @ProtoGunner.4953 said:

    @DaveyC.4398 said:

    @ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    Use a credit card. If you have to pay in foreign currency, use a Revolut CC.

    That does not answer the question either.

    Yes, but what do you expect? People don't know why they are getting more expensive on third party sites. So that's why I jumped directly to the conclusion: use a CC. It's so much more convenient.

    And again you miss the OP's point.
    Using a CC does not change the price of the gem card... in fact in many cases it actually makes it worse as you get slapped with a small additional charge by the online provider more often than not.

    OP... sites like G2A or similar are merely the marketplace, the sellers who sell the gem cards set their prices. I have also seen a sharp rises in 2000 gem cards to the point it makes no sense to buy them except via the gem store now.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2019

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    No, ArenaNet does not supply unauthorized retailers. If they did, then they would honor the codes when something goes wonky. They don't.

    Just because some retailers are not on that arbitrary list doesn't mean it's going to be a wonky deal.
    If you get a fake code or a used code then sure it's not Anets fault and don't expect them to honour the purchase, but don't tarnish every supplier outside of "THE" list with that same brush... I have never had any issues over many years that's for sure when using 3rd party marketplace sellers. In fact I would hazard a guess some of those sellers could perhaps be the same as those on the list just trying to use as wide a set of online tools as they can to profit.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    No, ArenaNet does not supply unauthorized retailers. If they did, then they would honor the codes when something goes wonky. They don't.

    Just because some retailers are not on that arbitrary list doesn't mean it's going to be a wonky deal.
    If you get a fake code or a used code then sure it's not Anets fault and don't expect them to honour the purchase, but don't tarnish every supplier outside of "THE" list with that same brush... I have never had any issues over many years that's for sure when using 3rd party marketplace sellers. In fact I would hazard a guess some of those sellers could perhaps be the same as those on the list just trying to use as wide a set of online tools as they can to profit.

    Not sure how you got that from my answer to "ArenaNet supplies unauthorized retailers".
    Sure, you can get a legitimate code there; but, should you have an issue, ArenaNet won't make it good. And that's how we know ArenaNet doesn't supply those unauthorized retailers.

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    No, ArenaNet does not supply unauthorized retailers. If they did, then they would honor the codes when something goes wonky. They don't.

    Just because some retailers are not on that arbitrary list doesn't mean it's going to be a wonky deal.
    If you get a fake code or a used code then sure it's not Anets fault and don't expect them to honour the purchase, but don't tarnish every supplier outside of "THE" list with that same brush... I have never had any issues over many years that's for sure when using 3rd party marketplace sellers. In fact I would hazard a guess some of those sellers could perhaps be the same as those on the list just trying to use as wide a set of online tools as they can to profit.

    Not sure how you got that from my answer to "ArenaNet supplies unauthorized retailers".
    Sure, you can get a legitimate code there; but, should you have an issue, ArenaNet won't make it good. And that's how we know ArenaNet doesn't supply those unauthorized retailers.

    Actually your right ... I just got home and reread your post and my reply.. I guess I read something that was there :(

    1000 Apologies Inc

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • No problem; it's all good. :)

  • Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019

    if you buy from the game the value of 2000 gems is still 25 dollars. you should complain that they don't have that denom. 400 gems = 5 dollars

    good chance cards are out of print now

    Soon™ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.