[Suggestion] Team Build Inspection

Duckota.4769

My suggestion is to allow us to inspect our teammates builds in a match. Whether that be ranked or unranked. I can't think of a downside to being able to see what my allies are playing and it will let me better know their builds strengths and weaknesses so I can assist them as needed. This could be implemented in one of three ways.

-The standard right click to inspect in the party UI.or-A new button added to the score UI beside your teammates.or-Hovering over a teammate in the score UI shows the same style as when you hover over/click a build link that has been shared in chat Showing a quick glance at their build/traits.

If I'm not mistaken there is currently a bug when spectating that causes a crash when inspecting builds. It doesn't happen every time but it does seem to happen semi-frequently. This would need to be addressed if it would effect this prior to it being implemented.

Edit: Another idea that could be implemented alongside this is to allow for an option to "Copy" their build via a template link. So that we can add it to our own templates should we wish to try it in the future.

Thoughts? Suggestions on how it could be better implemented?

@jessiestiles.9437 said:Make your own build or if you are too lazy find one on google.

But it's just the kind of ridiculous kitten anet would do. So why the hell not?

Lol what. Do you not read well? I dont need others builds, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to look at my teammates. The point wasnt to get their build to use, but if it was implemented I'm not sure of a reason why you shouldn't be able to copy form inspection screen. Looking forward to you reading one sentence out of this and commenting something irrelevant again.

I dont think its too ridiculous for me to be able to see what my teammates are playing before/during a game. So good question. Why not?

@"jessiestiles.9437" said:"The point wasnt to get their build to use"

"option to "Copy" their build via a template link. So that we can add it to our own templates should we wish to try it"

I read just fine

That was not the "point" at all. The point was everything but that one sentence, but you stuck on to the part that literally says "Edit" that was added because why not. Why shouldnt I be able to. I explained the point of it entirely before that. To see allies strengths and weaknesses so I can better assist them in game. Thanks for your replies though I guess. The edit was there to say that it might as well be a feature at this point. Take out the Edit and you''ll have the point of my post. Which I felt was quite obvious.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. Allowing the ability to look at your team's builds would give you an idea of how effective they might be, giving you insight into whether you think you can rely on them to do their job, personal skill aside.

Jessestiles still needs to re-read the original post, because he's clearly missing the point and derailing the thread.

@"jessiestiles.9437" said:If you can see it you can copy it anyway. Maybe if you went to the trouble of creating your own build you don't want other people just copying it. Also next game your team mates are on the opposition. They have your build and know all your strengths and weaknesses.

You can. That is what I mean. You could do it anyways if you can copy it. So why not just make it a feature? Unless you are saying you think the dev time would be wasted to make it easier done. Which I'm not sure on the time it'd require of them so cant comment on that. A lot of people change their builds slightly on a matchup to matchup basis anyways. Based on enemy composition. If they don't adapt to it I'd like to know that as their teammate so I can help them out where they will be weak. I get your concern there though, but I'm not sure it would apply to a majority of players that would benefit.

I would like to add the edited point in my original post was very much just an addition "why not" kind of idea and it would be largely beneficial to have everything but that aspect included even.

We don't even get this functionality in pve. Despite the fact that I never play meta builds and would be even more endlessly berated because of it, I would enjoy this in PvP. would give me something to look at while the tryhards who never 'ready-up' make us wait for the game to start.

@Ovark.2514 said:We don't even get this functionality in pve. Despite the fact that I never play meta builds and would be even more endlessly berated because of it, I would enjoy this in PvP. would give me something to look at while the tryhards who never 'ready-up' make us wait for the game to start.

This is when I would see myself using it the most also. Before a game towards the end of the ready up phase when builds are more solidified. Or if I see my on my team losing to the condi mirage on the other team I can look at their build in down time to see if maybe they should swap nodes with me at a point if they wouldnt mind.

Picking up on the word "slightly" there. You'd need to even more with this idea so your opponents don't get savvy. You'd go into a match knowing exactly who to target. Who is light on condi cleanse. Who has poor defense. Now youd have to read everyone's build before match because that information is powerful. Rather than just daydreaming or google some random siht. It's just making more work for everyone.

@"jessiestiles.9437" said:Picking up on the word "slightly" there. You'd need to even more with this idea so your opponents don't get savvy. You'd go into a match knowing exactly who to target. Who is light on condi cleanse. Who has poor defense. Now youd have to read everyone's build before match because that information is powerful. Rather than just daydreaming or google some random siht. It's just making more work for everyone.

I disagree. They can change their builds to not be light on condi cleanse before matches and not doing so is their fault entirely. I don't think its more work. You should be actively trying to win games from beginning to end. This is perfectly okay information in my opinion considering the phase is there to make plans with your team and adjust your builds to form a cohesive team.

@jessiestiles.9437 said:Having this information would definietly be a match changer. Another way to suck the life out of the mode. Not that anet will sensibly improve it. So whatever go for it.

I fail to see how this would do anything but improve the quality of matches still. I hope it would change the matches. Because right now the quality of most is terrible. Anything else I can know about my teammates to understand situations they struggle in would be welcomed.

@"Duckota.4769" said:My suggestion is to allow us to inspect our teammates builds in a match. Whether that be ranked or unranked. I can't think of a downside to being able to see what my allies are playing and it will let me better know their builds strengths and weaknesses so I can assist them as needed. This could be implemented in one of three ways.

Either you are naive or don't have enough experience with internet games

I'll tell you exatcly how this can go wrong

"this guy is running an off meta build, we lost"

or "we have 2 off meta builds, I'm not even leaving the base"

I can see it as a standard behavior in low gold and below

I'll not deny it, when I see a necro popping 4 pets I go on a "oh god" mode, and I kinda feel I lost before the match starts

Depending on the player mindset he'll think either "I'll have to carry harder" or "we lost the game"

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@"Duckota.4769" said:My suggestion is to allow us to inspect our teammates builds in a match. Whether that be ranked or unranked. I can't think of a downside to being able to see what my allies are playing and it will let me better know their builds strengths and weaknesses so I can assist them as needed. This could be implemented in one of three ways.

Either you are naive or don't have enough experience with internet games

I'll tell you exatcly how this can go wrong

"this guy is running an off meta build, we lost"

or "we have 2 off meta builds, I'm not even leaving the base"

I can see it as a standard behavior in low gold and below

I'll not deny it, when I see a necro popping 4 pets I go on a "oh god" mode, and I kinda feel I lost before the match starts

Depending on the player mindset he'll think either "I'll have to carry harder" or "we lost the game"

Im neither of those things. I commented earlier saying toxicity was a concern of mine, but that is the fault of immature players and if utilized correctly this would improve quality of matches. Consistently toxic players should be punished accordingly and should never be a reason not to implement features that would otherwise improve quality of games.

@Liza.2758 said:nah it does nothing

i rather see what Ranks my teammates are

for exampleif a FB is gold then i know... alright this guy is free can't expect him to play like plat 2 FB

then you get to plan how to play / carry the game.

I would not say it does nothing. Though I do agree the ability to see a teammates rank would also be very beneficial and should be standard by this point as it is in many other competitive games.

@Ysmir.4986 said:Being able to identify a players build by simply looking at them is a skill check. Bad enough anet put elite specs icons in team panel. Stop it.

Talking about teammates and not enemy team. Thought that was common sense. This would increase quality of matches regardless. You're not skilled bc you can see the firebrand has signet so you know theyre support. Stop it.

@Duckota.4769 said:

@Ysmir.4986 said:Being able to identify a players build by simply looking at them is a skill check. Bad enough anet put elite specs icons in team panel. Stop it.

Talking about teammates and not enemy team. Thought that was common sense. This would increase quality of matches regardless. You're not skilled bc you can see the firebrand has signet so you know theyre support. Stop it.

This applies to teammates as well as enemies. And it doesn’t mean that you’re skilled, it just means that you understand classes and what they do based on weapons and active skills.

I can't imagine myself using such a feature, nor can I imagine anyone suing it for anything beneficial.The only use I see is for people to decide whether they try winning or not, based on their teammates' off-META builds.Or "toxic" players use it as an excuse to flame about off-META players.