Ranger pet not activating

SAME FOR ME. Seems most times when I dismount it's not there, and using a combat dismount makes it impossible to summon it in combat. Also noticed after opening chests or at RANDOM times, my pet has vanished and I can't resummon till out of combat. PLEASE FIX. This is the MOST annoying thing as a ranger.

The pet being stowed on dismount does affect core ranger, though it can usually be (possibly "could have been prior to the latest update") summoned during combat when that's the case. It's been happening for a while...long enough that I can't remember when I sent a bug report about it, but it's concerning to hear that it's becoming less stable.

Happening to me, too.

I only tested in PvE:With Soulbeast build active, dismounting into combat (with or without engage skill) prevents pet from activating automatically and prevents "activate pet" button from working. Entering and then exiting beastmode re-engages pet. Exiting combat does not automatically activate pet, but "activate pet" button does work after exiting combat.

With core Ranger build active dismounting into combat (with or without engage skill) allows pet to activate automatically and be swapped in combat as designed.

edit: grammar and game mode

Okay:So I just tested this:

SoulbeastUnmelded + Mounted -> Engage skill into Combat : Pet unsummonable during combat. Melding restores pet beastmode skills to hotbar.Melded + Mounted -> Engage skill into Combat : Working as intended. Beast skills appear.Unmelded + Mounted -> Engage skill | No Combat : Working as intended. Pet Command skills appear.Melded + Mounted -> Engage skill | No Combat : Working as intended. Beast skills appear.

Core RangerMounted -> Engage skill into Combat : Working as intended. Pet skills appear.Mounted -> Engage skill | No Combat : Working as intended. Pet skills appear.

Testing the switch from Soulbeast to Ranger builds I couldn't replicate what Elistine experienced. Pet window remained accessible and so did an active pet.

The problem occurs when the Soulbeast is not melded and enters combat by using the '1' skill while on a mount. This does not apply to the Skyscale since the Skyscale does not directly enter combat using the '1' skill (Blast). When the Soulbeast uses the '1' skill, the pet is not activated and cannot be activated until the Soulbeast exists combat.

The Soulbeast can work around this problem by (1) not using the '1' skill to enter combat while mounted, (2) always meld with the pet before mounting, (3) meld and then unmeld to obtain the pet.

not playing until pet issue is fixed as really disappointing. Worked pre-retirement in software and hardware and this is just sloppy. My pet dies while configured to be soulbeast but not in soulbeast mode, it just stays dead. Can't change it. Have characters in all other classes, played since inception, only play ranger. This is just really bad programming. Get your peer review together.

That seems to work (for soulbeast anyway) And is a good temporary fix so we can play, but this shouldn't be an issue for ranger. Think of necro suddenly losing their minions, mesmers unable to summon clones, rev's without legends. It's a huge piece of the class that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

@jinxykat.6519 said:That seems to work (for soulbeast anyway) And is a good temporary fix so we can play, but this shouldn't be an issue for ranger. Think of necro suddenly losing their minions, mesmers unable to summon clones, rev's without legends. It's a huge piece of the class that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

Actually, necros DO lose their minions in certain cases. In the Siren's Reef fractal, if they catch or pick up a treasure, minions are gone immediately. In the Snowblind fractal, if the elite icebrood ellegy's glacial slam attack hits the necromancer, all minions are destroyed instantly. (If just the minions are hit, they are not destroyed unless the damage would normally kill them.) If a necromancer with minions mounts, dismounts, and re-mounts in rapid succession, the minions are destroyed.

Agreed with all. It's a totally random occurrence, but having a pet during combat is an essential part of playing the ranger class - nearly pointless to not be able to have the pet until exiting combat. While I am appreciative of the hints/tips regarding a workaround, there shouldn't need to be one. It's simply a bug that needs fixed. Soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, even after the 3-3-20 update still having issues on occasion with the ranger pet not activating. Has happened less often but was playing today in Iron marshes. A couple times on dismount pet not activating. Going in and out of beastmode does restore pet which didn't always work before but still annoying.

@Argon.2405 said:Okay:So I just tested this:

SoulbeastUnmelded + Mounted -> Engage skill into Combat : Pet unsummonable during combat. Melding restores pet beastmode skills to hotbar.Melded + Mounted -> Engage skill into Combat : Working as intended. Beast skills appear.Unmelded + Mounted -> Engage skill | No Combat : Working as intended. Pet Command skills appear.Melded + Mounted -> Engage skill | No Combat : Working as intended. Beast skills appear.

Core RangerMounted -> Engage skill into Combat : Working as intended. Pet skills appear.Mounted -> Engage skill | No Combat : Working as intended. Pet skills appear.

Testing the switch from Soulbeast to Ranger builds I couldn't replicate what Elistine experienced. Pet window remained accessible and so did an active pet.

This here explains the cause of the issue. Entering combat using the engage ability triggers weapon swap as well as pet swap code. In particular, if I have equipped quickdraw, it'll trigger on engage even if I haven't changed weaponset (and it messes up my rotation because it won't trigger if I swap weapons within 9 seconds of engage).

Since soulbeasts cannot swap pets in combat, the codepath that triggers when engaging is blocked, and thus, no pet spawned.

ANet needs to fix Mount engagement code to prevent these irregularities from happening. Maybe the code should first dismount the character and then apply the engage damage path?

• Like 1

Most of my Soul Beast build is working, however I cannot swap pets during battle when I am in an unmerged form. The skill is grayed out and states that it is not usable during combat. Does the skill think I am in merged mode and therefore ineligible to swap pets? It's really hard during tough battles to only be able to rely on one pet who cannot be healed if they become downed. For the time being I will not play my hunter as much until this is fixed.

@butterfly lynn.3046 @"Hinagiku.2156"Might want to check the patch notes when they get released, at least the sections for the classes you play https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/98220/game-update-notes-february-25-2020

Soulbeast: Soulbeasts can no longer swap pets while in combat. Entering and leaving beastmode with your pet now counts as a pet swap for the purposes of the Clarion Bond and Zephyr's Speed traits.