AFK time?

Hi all! I recently bought the GW2 Deluxe set from Arena and been playing like crazy ever since lol. I used to be a HC player of GW1 too so this is just amazing!

Anyway I've been seeing a lot of discussion about "AFK farming" and while I don't know what it actually is or where it happens exactly, it made me think of my own behavior in game. I play alone most of the time, and about 9-10hours a day (I don't work due to chronic termiall illness) and I tend to go away from my PC for max 15 mins occasionally. Stuff like having a cigarette, emptying the washing machine quickly etc. I usually leave my character in a city like Lion's Arch or if I'm in middle of a Personal Story that requires a long travel from spot a to b to c to d etc, I leave my character at random place where there are no enemies. Is this allowed or will this trigger some "suspect behavior" flag in the Anet system? Just thinking ahead, if I should log off every time I go away for a few mins or if it's fine to be AFK for a while?

Its fine to be away like that I think (I mean everyone needs a toilet break, gets a phonecall, grabs some drink or food now and then). I usually load my guild hall and afk there then (also coz it doesn't seem to kick me for inactivity then and theres no mobs since events can pop mobs at seemingly empty places).

The afking that ppl are talking about is the players that attack mobs while being "afk" (characters with pets or minions mostly). And thus taking advantage of the game in an unintended way which is close to botting. This is either against the ToS of the game (when really being afk) or in a very grey area (when being behind the screen but simply doing nothing and just watching the screen, and reply whispers).

And welcome to GW2 :)

What you're describing is just being AFK.

AFK farming is using tricks like autoattacking or using pets, turrets etc. to keep collecting rewards while you're not actually playing. As long as you're not a) staying in areas wehre enemies spawn and b) settings things up before you step away so you'll be able to keep on killing them while you're not at the computer, you'll be fine.

@"Aaralyna.3104" said:Its fine to be away like that I think (I mean everyone needs a toilet break, gets a phonecall, grabs some drink or food now and then). I usually load my guild hall and afk there then (also coz it doesn't seem to kick me for inactivity then and theres no mobs since events can pop mobs at seemingly empty places).

The afking that ppl are talking about is the players that attack mobs while being "afk" (characters with pets or minions mostly). And thus taking advantage of the game in an unintended way which is close to botting. This is either against the ToS of the game (when really being afk) or in a very grey area (when being behind the screen but simply doing nothing and just watching the screen, and reply whispers).

And welcome to GW2 :)

That's not usually a problem... you could always just log-out to your character select screen.

I would also argue that it is acceptable to mildly AFK farm, if for example you go for a smoke and set up some turrets or have your pet protect you while AFK.

If you are only leaving it 5 mins then it isn’t that much of an advantage.

It is when people leave characters farming for hours or overnight that I have a problem with.

@Kienda.4187 said:I would also argue that it is acceptable to mildly AFK farm, if for example you go for a smoke and set up some turrets or have your pet protect you while AFK.

But to other players, how would they know that this is a smoke break or someone botting? What happens if you step away, get reported and then aren't back before a GM pings you?

I wouldn't recommend doing this.