CC wars and free boonstrips

aelska.4609

Few months after the patch, my feelings about pvp are still the same: we are still playing in a bursty/tankerish game ... while getting way more cced than before. Even if they deal no damage, CCs are things to spam brainlessly and it will have a nice effect.

On top of that, i'll like to point out an other issue linked to it: boonstrip. With the rarification of stability, these have become even more powerful. I will let you judge following video (slowed x2) to illustrate my point: a 40 s CD stability-skill (F3 virtue) went to Uganda because I got hit by .... a CC right after activating it.

In total, it is no less than 5 boons that disappeared in a split second without any tellings, by a class that's not even supposed to do that. Opponent got greatly rewarded by using a random CC, while the micro-management of CD to land mighty blow under stability got annihilated. These examples happen hundreds of times during each game on any class (I also spam mindlessly shield #5 and it has greater effects than it should), which leads to my following demand:

• Make Stability (and boons in general) more rewardful when timed properly. This goes by a reduction of the amount of boonstrips in the game, but also a reductions of the stability (and other boons) in the game.
  • Make CC more rewardful when timed properly. Same idea, less CC in game while reducing the amount of breakstun/stability.

Problem is the game mode. This game was balanced around 5v5 briefly and only once, right before HoT launched. CC spam is apparent right now due to 1) power creep that did not exist before (partial addressed already), and 2) too many players in Conquest for gw2's mechanics.

Game should be balanced either around 2v2/3v3 format, or larger/zergier fights for WvW (balanced separately of course). I always felt this way, but gave them the benefit of the doubt. 5v5 with 7-9 players crowding a small objective has felt like a really awkward format for most of this game's history. Of course it's too much cc, too much aoe, too much condi, too much everything.

I don't think there is anything wrong with boon ripping. It is a counter to boon spamming, which still exists on revs, guards, and eles.

I'm eyeballing it and I cant figure out how you lost all 5 boons. Assuming he had absorption and revocation that would only account for 2. Assuming he was running explosives and flash bang that would account for your stability. So at most you would've lost 3 unless engie has some traited boon removal I don't know about or this video is old and he's got somthing like annulment+revocation but that still wouldn't account for all 5.

@Tycura.1982 said:I'm eyeballing it and I cant figure out how you lost all 5 boons. Assuming he had absorption and revocation that would only account for 2. Assuming he was running explosives and flash bang that would account for your stability. So at most you would've lost 3 unless engie has some traited boon removal I don't know about or this video is old and he's got somthing like annulment+revocation but that still wouldn't account for all 5.

Throw mine?

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@Tycura.1982 said:I'm eyeballing it and I cant figure out how you lost all 5 boons. Assuming he had absorption and revocation that would only account for 2. Assuming he was running explosives and flash bang that would account for your stability. So at most you would've lost 3 unless engie has some traited boon removal I don't know about or this video is old and he's got somthing like annulment+revocation but that still wouldn't account for all 5.

Throw mine?

Oh was it? I thought it was shield 4 being activated twice really fast.

@Tycura.1982 said:

Throw mine?

Oh was it? I thought it was shield 4 being activated twice really fast.

Just looked l and it's 3 boonstrip on mine. He would have to have somthing additional like absorption/revocation or flashbang. (if it even hits before those boonstrips)

@Tycura.1982 said:I'm eyeballing it and I cant figure out how you lost all 5 boons. Assuming he had absorption and revocation that would only account for 2. Assuming he was running explosives and flash bang that would account for your stability. So at most you would've lost 3 unless engie has some traited boon removal I don't know about or this video is old and he's got somthing like annulment+revocation but that still wouldn't account for all 5.It was throw mine + detonate for a total of 4 of boons stripped. Throw mine is unblockable and it is detonate's damage which removed aegis (somehow it was the lastboon being stripped).

@"mistsim.2748" said:Problem is the game mode.[...]Game should be balanced either around 2v2/3v3 format, or larger/zergier fights for WvW (balanced separately of course). I always felt this way, but gave them the benefit of the doubt. 5v5 with 7-9 players crowding a small objective has felt like a really awkward format for most of this game's history

Personally I like the game mode. Because WvW is too zergy and with the server linking I don't even feel like "fighting for 'MY' server". 2 vs. 2 or 3 vs. 3 seems too small for me. I'd prefer a 10-15 vs. 10-15 game mode.

I agree though that (especially on some maps) the 5 vs. 5 seems bad when it turns into the 7-9 players crowding 1 objective - like you mentioned. Within the 5 vs. 5 I enjoy 2-3 vs 2-3 at max the most. Actually the game mode also allows it to be played like that. 2-3 at vs 2-3 at mid and 1-2 each team fighting elsewhere.

Maybe the game could "enforce" it a bit more to stay at outer nodes even if both teams have 1 node capped and it seems "fun" to fight 5 vs. 5 at mid (until someone decides to cap the remainin enemy node which is undefended).

Maybe auto decay on the capture status? (Like making it go in "neutral" if it is unattended for some time.)