Guild Wars 2 on next gen consoles ?

waxx.3619

FFXIV and ESO both on consoles and have a very large playerbase due to them. Can GW2 work on a console ? I don't think controller is an issue here. Classes like Samurai in FFXIV has a very complicated rotation involving 20+ button clicks yet works great on PS4. With the game being so old now and the hardware ps5/xbox series x has I have no doubt in my mind it can run gw2 60 fps high/ultra setting. What you guys think ?

@sitarskee.5738 said:I have no idea if it could work on a console BUT I wouldn't be so sure of consoles running GW2 on max settings in 60fps.

Well the new consoles do have better hardware than the vast majority of PC users, if it works on PC, then it can work on the new consoles.

Edit: As for the actual topic, wait for the Steam release first, it's in only 2 months away. Based on how the game performs there they could expand the game on even more audiences in the future

@TristisOris.2165 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:if it works on PC, then it can work on the new consoles.it doesn't work that way.

i think he meant hardware-wise the ps5 meets or exceeds GW2's requirements to run on a machine. ofcourse you just can't slap gw2-64.exe on a ps5 and run it. completely different OS, environment, apis.

gw2 source needs to be re-compiled into ps5 binaries. the assets can remain the same. -- doing all of these whether worth it or not, is another thing entirely.(i honestly wouldn't mind a console version, even if i have no plans of getting a ps5 at all, especially if it means we may finally get proper controller support for pc gw2)

@TristisOris.2165 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:if it works on PC, then it can work on the new consoles.it doesn't work that way.

I was responding to the comment about getting 60 fps on the new consoles. The new consoles have better hardware capabilities than the vast majority of PCs out there, so if it will run on those consoles as good as it does on the common PC and most probably much much better. If 30 fps is acceptable by the average GW2 user (which is what they probably get) then it will be fine having 30 fps on console too.

@"Astyrah.4015" said:i think he meant hardware-wise the ps5 meets or exceeds GW2's requirements to run on a machine. ofcourse you just can't slap gw2-64.exe on a ps5 and run it. completely different OS, environment, apis.

gw2 source needs to be re-compiled into ps5 binaries. the assets can remain the same. -- doing all of these whether worth it or not, is another thing entirely.(i honestly wouldn't mind a console version, even if i have no plans of getting a ps5 at all, especially if it means we may finally get proper controller support for pc gw2)

Yes the source would need to be compatible with PS5 hardware. The limit is the render solution.

Arenanet already developed an OpenGL renderer for GW2 for "an unspecified project" as they called it, which is what the Mac version of GW2 uses, so a PS5 version could use the OpenGL renderer they developed for that "unspecified project"

Meanwhile, Xbox Series X/S will use DirectX 12, so if they made a version for that, maybe they could port the game to use a much more modern DX version on PC too.But all this is premature, we'll first need to see how the Steam release performs.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Astyrah.4015" said:i think he meant hardware-wise the ps5 meets or exceeds GW2's requirements to run on a machine. ofcourse you just can't slap gw2-64.exe on a ps5 and run it. completely different OS, environment, apis.

Yes the source would need to be compatible with PS5 hardware. The limit is the render solution.

Arenanet already developed an OpenGL renderer for GW2 for "an unspecified project" as they called it, which is what the Mac version of GW2 uses, so a PS5 version could use the OpenGL renderer they developed for that "unspecified project"

Meanwhile, Xbox Series X/S will use DirectX 12, so if they made a version for that, maybe they could port the game to use a much more modern DX version on PC too.But all this is premature, we'll first need to see how the Steam release performs.If PS5 doesnt support DX12 Ultimate I predict the XBoxSX will be the console to own this generation. But I suppose it will be interesting to see what happens. Either way, GW2 on any console is a just a pipe dream.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:If PS5 doesnt support DX12 Ultimate I predict the XBoxSX will be the console to own this generation. But I suppose it will be interesting to see what happens. Either way, GW2 on any console is a just a pipe dream.

The PS5 won't support DX12 Ultimate, just like PS4 didn't support DX11/12, but it will have the "equivalent" features I guess.