Cloud gaming (Vortex, Nvidia, etc.). A new way to play despite a "poor" computer?

Some people already tried utilizing this type of service in WoW due its rapidly growing hardware requirements since Warlords of Draenor. They were banned because there is no way for the company to check if it's you playing the account at all times or if other people have access to it as well.

Lets say you move your cursor, that input is sent to the virtual server, the virtual server sends that input to the game's server - finally resulting in the cursor being moved within the game. However, the game server can only see the input coming from the virtual server. They can't see from where or from whom the virtual server gets the original input. (Would be quite worrisome if they could see.) That's why the game company can not verify who is playing the account.

@Zedek.8932 said:Or renting music and movies (streaming). I buy my movies to keep them forever and no kill switch to remove them. Same with music. Or Photos. No cloud, no external service.

But why should I pay $10 for just one movie if I can pay $10 a month and watch as many movies as i want? There is a total of only like 10 movies that I want to rewatch, so I couldn't care less if the service went offline (which wouldn't even matter as dozens of alternatives exist, same with music)

@Dawdler.8521 said:In civilized countries 100Mbps is pretty much the cheapest kitten connection you can get, heh.

Okay so apparently Germany is not considered a civilized country then. There are many areas, especially in southern Germany, where even a 20k connection is a rarity

Okay so apparently Germany is not considered a civilized country then. There are many areas, especially in southern Germany, where even a 20k connection is a rarity

Funny thing is that across the border, in Poland, I have 10 GB/s for equivalent of 50 euro. I’ve noticed that with all the richness Germany has, its high-tech infrastructure is rather terrible. You can’t pay with mobile phones (close-up transactions) in 90% of shops, restaurants accept only cash and many internet or mobile phone services are rather poor or overpriced for what they give in return.

My advice for OP is to get a new GPU (RX 570 is cheaper than 1050Ti, while almost twice as good) that supports DX12 and enable it through a very popular add-on that is available for GW2 (bare in mind that AMD GPUs are more efficient with DX12 than NVidia in every single benchmark) and you can use whichever mid-range CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 1700 is so cheap that it is almost a steal) you put your hands on.

I have RX480 8GB VRAM, Ryzen 7 1700X, 16 GBs RAM DDR4 and with DX12 enabled for GW2 my FPS in LA is sitting at 85+ FPS (all settings on ULTRA/Highest with the exception of character model limit, which is set at Medium). In some other places I have over 100 FPS (some fractals were even reaching ~150 FPS). With DX9 I have only 50 FPS max in LA, so the difference is huge.

I don’t know why some random dude can make DX12 work for GW2 and fix almost every performance issue newer hardwares have with this game (while also being very stable; I never had CTD), but ArenaNet is somehow unable to have this option build into their game...

Google “Guild Wars 2 - DirectX12 Setup Guide and Benchmark” for YouTube video if you want to see it for yourself.

@ewenness.6482 said:Some people already tried utilizing this type of service in WoW due its rapidly growing hardware requirements since Warlords of Draenor. They were banned because there is no way for the company to check if it's you playing the account at all times or if other people have access to it as well.

Lets say you move your cursor, that input is sent to the virtual server, the virtual server sends that input to the game's server - finally resulting in the cursor being moved within the game. However, the game server can only see the input coming from the virtual server. They can't see from where or from whom the virtual server gets the original input. (Would be quite worrisome if they could see.) That's why the game company can not verify who is playing the account.

Hi ewenness, regarding the banning part, I believe that companies will easily overcome this and track whos playing maybe by only an sms authetication? anyway they cannot check who is even using your own PC (even if they used camera authetication i would give my cousin a mask of me..), so they only need a validation from you, that the one using the account is you or an authorised person at least..Regarding the lag part, that maybe would be an issue, but if the difference is from 30ms ping to 32 ms ping, why bother? I would also be happy to only need a screen and a controller (or keyboard mouse) to use a high end PC. So is it a matter of trust? Companies will have access to your accounts? Well they already do from browser saved passwords, emails etc so i wouldnt consider it an actual issue .

To conclude.. I only look forward for the latency results..

Imo cloud gaming will always be inferior to on site computing until at the very least you have fiber optics all the way to the server, or maybe it would take quantum internet, either way, we aren't there yet. I personally would rather save up a little each month and upgrade or buy another pc eventually. Youd be surprised what you can get on Ebay cheaply minus a few generations back of course.

The requirements are 64 bit, win 7/8/10 here are the reqs for nvidia and vortex. But honestly i would take that money and put it aside to upgrade. Also if you tell us your specs we can maybe help you figure out something. But yeah i would save that money to buy a new rig.https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/geforce-now/system-reqs/

https://vortex.gg/faq

@"Tiviana.2650" said:The requirements are 64 bit, win 7/8/10 here are the reqs for nvidia and vortex. But honestly i would take that money and put it aside to upgrade. Also if you tell us your specs we can maybe help you figure out something. But yeah i would save that money to buy a new rig.https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/geforce-now/system-reqs/

https://vortex.gg/faq

Hey, currently i run GW2 fine with my almost cheap laptop.. CPU: Intel Core i5 1.6GHz, RAM: 8GB, 256GB SSD, GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620, but I only have 1 pc and now that i got married i certainly need another pc, because wife needs laptop to play candy crush :))After all this conversation i see that for cloud gaming a good GFX card is needed so most probably i should stick to my own pc for now at least.Also I am really interested on Stadia or similar platforms future, because renting a game for a small monthly fee sounds nice just for testing at least, or playing instantly with a friend even when you havent purchased.

Thanks for the help so far

@Cobrakon.3108 said:Imo cloud gaming will always be inferior to on site computing until at the very least you have fiber optics all the way to the server, or maybe it would take quantum internet, either way, we aren't there yet. I personally would rather save up a little each month and upgrade or buy another pc eventually. Youd be surprised what you can get on Ebay cheaply minus a few generations back of course.

Never tried buying something that big from Ebay to Greece, only envelops.. Would you propose a seller?

@Vigio.4935 said:

@Cobrakon.3108 said:Imo cloud gaming will always be inferior to on site computing until at the very least you have fiber optics all the way to the server, or maybe it would take quantum internet, either way, we aren't there yet. I personally would rather save up a little each month and upgrade or buy another pc eventually. Youd be surprised what you can get on Ebay cheaply minus a few generations back of course.

Never tried buying something that big from Ebay to Greece, only envelops.. Would you propose a seller?

Its not so much about particular vendors as it is about how strong their feedback score is. You want a high feedback score and the seller should have a high number of sells as well. There's a few ways to approach ebay buying. Auction/Buy it now/ Offer. Research what cpu speed and graphics card speed would work for your needs. Set an amount you wont bid or buy over. When you find a potential deal you might go for, research the brand of computer, if it works with 3rd party graphics cards, if it is large enough to fit. All of this is a bunch of google searching. Make sure shipping isn't to crazy .. some sellers gouge you with shipping.

For auctions, learn what sniping is. Compare your potential spending with a site like Amazon. Make sure return policies are healthy. Know enough about PC so that if it comes in a non functioning state you can fix it potentially and even sometimes ask for a partial refund giving you a better deal sometimes.For instance hard drives have been known to ship failed so if you know how to install one youself and install windows, etc., then you dodged a bullet.

Ram also comes unseated alot of times, before sending back, as long as it doesn't void any return policy, make sure the ram is seated.

Deals will often not have an upgrade path, so keep that in mind and the price should reflect that one shortcoming. Familiarize yourself with something like tome cpu and gpu hierarchy so you know what is better and will work.

If all this sounds easy enough and reasonable then hunting for a pc on ebay might be the right choice for you.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Faaris.8013" said:If you still store gigabytes of music on your hard disk, you are a dinosaur ^^

Awesome! Can I be a triceratops? Although I still have CDs too, and vinyl albums, maybe that makes me more of a Trilobite.

My thinking with music is pretty similar to some people aboves attitude to games (which is also my attitude to games). I want copies that are unlikely to vanish due to circumstances outside of my control. I make an exception for MMOs because you have to rely on a server to play, but other than that I try to avoid giving someone else control over when and how I can access 'my' games or music.

I still have and play games from 25+ years ago. Sure some of the PC games require additional steps to run on modern PCs, but I can still play them (and the console games are actually easier than modern consoles, none of this nonsense with downloading it from the disc and updating, just ram the thing in and play). I'd be devastated if I relied on an external platform to grant me permission to play them (which is really all systems like Steam do - it's glorified DRM) and they suddenly decided some of my games are too old or not popular enough and they're taking them away. Or they had a falling out with the developers or whatever.

(There's also rarer, but worse, problems like when
suddenly decided to "helpfully" replace all copies of songs in people's libraries with 'standardised' ones - one version of each song or album. Some people lost rare special editions of albums they'd paid extra for, collectors lost hundreds of live or rare versions, and some musicians lost their own demo tracks because a computer decided it knew better than they did what they wanted to listen to.)

I'm a dinosaur, too! (For the same reasons and line of thinking.) Also why I purchase online games from GOG if it's available before any other platform service. Cheers, mate.